PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent rust on 10" table saw blade?

Greg L. Brown
01-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi all,
I recently bought a new SCMS and I forgot to lube the blade that came with it (it's a 10" Makita SCMS). My 10" table saw blade is also showing just a bit of surface rust. My tools are in the garage, so the cold and sometimes damp temps can cause some rust.

What's the best lube to use for a 10" table saw blade? Will WD-40 or Silicone spray work (I've got those already)?

Does it matter if it has just a touch of rust on it (can I just lube it anyway)?

Thanks,
Greg

Jason White
01-10-2009, 4:06 PM
I use a product called "Slip-it." I rub it all over my machines' fences, tables and blades.

I buy the type in the can and apply it with a rag. No need to spray and "buff."

It's also great for anything where you've got wood rubbing against wood (old double-hung window sashes, etc.).

http://www.slipit.com/home.html

Howard Acheson
01-10-2009, 8:10 PM
Do not use anything that contains silicone. Silicone creates big problems when finishing. WD-40 has little rust preventing properties.

Couple of choices. Some shops just have a rag that is slightly dampened with oil and wipe the blades with that. Others spray their blades and other cutting tools with Boeshield T9 which is what is the best choice for preventing rust on cast iron and other steel surfaces.

David Hawxhurst
01-10-2009, 9:40 PM
a lot of machinists use kerosene to clean their mills and lathes. kerosene also helps prevent rust and has some minor lubricating qualities.

Sonny Edmonds
01-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Shucks, what a buncha hooie.
Clean the blades well, dry them a little in a low heated oven, wax with Johnson's paste wax.
Doiuh! Just like what you use on your cast iron.

The rust will wear off in use, but can leave tell-tale rust marks on your stock.

(I use oven cleaner to clean my blades and bits. :eek: But don't tell anybody, folks get all twisted up about using oven cleaner.) :rolleyes:

Bart Leetch
01-11-2009, 1:35 AM
I use Simple-green to clean blades just let it soak for awhile & use a soft brush & rinse. Nice & clean & no worry about what it may or may not do to the blade.

Jon Grider
01-11-2009, 1:50 AM
When my shop was in an unheated garage, I never had a problem with rust using WD40. Try the cheap solutions first.

Dewey Torres
01-11-2009, 1:58 AM
Make a few cuts through something. Preferably on a project and watch the rust disappear.

Ok that sounded a bit like Billy Mays ...:rolleyes:

Seriously, don’t worry about it too much like Sonny said and look for places to insulate and weather proof your shop.

You would be surprised at how easy moisture in a shop will do a number on your tools. I put grass clippings in my shop trashcan one time and overnight / through the next day my whole shop looked like purple k powder!:eek:

Brian Norton
01-11-2009, 8:18 AM
I use Butcher's "Bowling Alley Wax" on all my metal. It comes in a paste or a block and won't cake on dust. Just run some on the sides of the blade and touch it along the teeth.

Your first cut should be into a piece of scrap wood and then ready for work.
My saw may sit for a week or more in the Chicago summers. It works great for my garage shop.

Tom Esh
01-11-2009, 11:12 AM
When my shop was in an unheated garage, I never had a problem with rust using WD40. Try the cheap solutions first.

Same here. IMO it's often underated as a rust preservative. Been using it for years around the shop (sensibly) with no ill effects on finishing. What little wood comes in contact with it on a saw blade goes out the dust chute anyway. Sure, it just has to be re-applied more frequently, but how hard is that? By the same token I think paste wax is over-rated, especially considering the time & effort applying it requires. Boeshield OTOH pretty much lives up to the hype.

Greg L. Brown
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I appreciate the replies. I think I'll get a can of Boeshield (I keep hearing that is the best).

-Greg

scott spencer
01-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I appreciate the replies. I think I'll get a can of Boeshield (I keep hearing that is the best).

-Greg

A few years back Wood Mag did some fairly controlled testing with a pretty large group of substances, and found Boeshield to be the most effective at rust prevention.

Another option is to buy coated blades.