PDA

View Full Version : Copperhead Snake

michael gallagher
01-10-2009, 12:41 PM
As Tom Hamilton wrote earlier this week, there is a charity auction Lance Berkman's foundation is having at the end of the month to benefit the homeless. Here is my submission for the silent auction, a copperhead snake cast in polyester resin on a Sierra pen kit. Thanks for looking!

alex carey
01-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't normally comment on pens because I usually don't like the shape. I love the shape on the pen you made, Great Job

Alex

Charles Bishop
01-10-2009, 1:25 PM
Beautiful job, Michael. I would expect a bidding war for this. What kind of kit did you use? It looks like a fancy version of the Woodcraft, Polaris kit. Thanks for showing it.:)

Charles

curtis rosche
01-10-2009, 1:53 PM
was that the whole snake or just the skin? be neat to have one with the whole head in it. nice pen

Jeff Morneault
01-10-2009, 4:40 PM
Wow! Very nice and a cool idea!!

Jim Kountz
01-10-2009, 5:41 PM
I don't normally comment on pens because I usually don't like the shape. I love the shape on the pen you made, Great Job

Alex

Ya hear that guys, Alex here doesnt like our pens!!:eek::eek:
:D:D Just kiddin ya Alex!! The devil makes me do it!!;);)

Billy Tallant
01-10-2009, 8:15 PM
Great looking pen!!! Now I know what to do the next time I see a copperhead snake in the yard. Very neat idea...

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Very different pen Michael! Great form! Love the snakeskin! Hope it raises a lot of money for the charity!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Great looking pen Michael. Well done.

michael gallagher
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Charles, it is a Woodcraft Sierra kit in gold.

Curtis, it is just the skin - you'd need a really fat pen if you did the head or make some unique top to it. It can be done, but it would probably look strange. That being said, I do know someone who might be up for the challenge in casting it.

Dewey Torres
01-11-2009, 1:17 AM
Very interesting and the first time I have seen snake skin used for a pen. I like it!

These would sell like hotcakes out here in Colorado ya know!

Jeff Nicol
01-11-2009, 5:44 AM
Michael, Cool looking pen, but not many copper heads up here in WI ! I guess I could use a pine snake or bull snake,HMMMM might be worth the effort.

My wife hates snakes!!!!

Jeff

michael gallagher
01-31-2009, 4:10 PM
As Tom mentioned on his bowl post, this was a sucessful fund raising event - I can't believe this went for $80! Money raised for a great cause, Lance Berkman breaking the professional athlete stereotype, and my head swelling on my first time of someone paying for something I turned on a lathe. Whodathunkit?

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 4:14 PM
Michael - congrats on the successful fundraiser! Happy to hear your pen did so well- it was unique! Hope you are able to start selling pens at that price from this point forward! Again - congrats!