PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic from Officemax

Steve Clarkson
01-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I bought an acrylic signholder from Officemax the other day (8.5"x22" bent in half so it holds an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper) for about $2 that was made in one of my favorite places (China). I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to cut or engrave this stuff in their laser and if it is safe.

I'm assuming that most acrylics are safe for the laser. This stuff is very flexible but when I cut it, it produced ALOT of white smoke (which I assume is better than yellow smoke) and the aroma was not nearly as sweet as regular acrylic. It's thin too....1/16" maybe. The sheet that came with it didn't actually SAY that it was acrylic. The SKU was #20334657 and the MFG was #OM98378....is there some way to get the info from these numbers?

Thanks

Bill Cunningham
01-10-2009, 9:21 PM
Somebody gave me a bunch of sign holders made from some clear 'substance' ..The were just heat folded over pieces of some mystery plastic. I tried to laser it, but the smoke was uuuugly, and smelled toxic so I just threw em in a "maybe it'll be useful for something box" and forgot about them.. I have a feeling mine were a clear PVC. They did not feel as hard, as acrylic..

Joe Pelonio
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Before using that again I'd ask the store for the MSDS on it. There is a clear PVC made, but even if it is acrylic or polycarbonate, being made in China it could have some PVC or just about anything else in it.

You can make those yourself with a heat bender kit:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=169

or buy a heater ready to go for about $300.

Steve Clarkson
01-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks Joe......I think I'll take Bill's advice and just throw it in the scrap heap. Why take a chance?

Oh, and I wasn't looking to bend acrylic like that.......I was trying to find a substance flexible enough to make a chocolate mold. The 1/8" acrylic that I have is too rigid. The text comes out nice, but removing the chocolate is impossible.

Any recommendations for a substance that I could find locally (Walmart, Micheals, Home Depot) that might work and would be sanitary?

Joe Pelonio
01-11-2009, 2:21 PM
What about those silicone or HDPE cutting boards? They could be laser safe and food safe.

Martin Boekers
01-11-2009, 2:37 PM
Steve, what I would suggest would be to make an acrylic relief, such as they do for casting coins and medallions.

You can do that with the laser then check with a hobby or craft shop such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels for a mold making kit. ( you probably will need some for of release spray so the mold releases easily.)

You can make the mold from the acrylic that you lasered instead of doing it directly to molding material.

chocolate bars do engrave nicely by them selves.

I have ink jet printed new "sleeves" for candy bars for special event those are popular. Card stock sleeves to put golf balls in are fun for golf outtings or gifts. The laser works well to "die-cut" (OK burn cut!)them after they are printed.

I have pretty much experience in sampling candies so feel free to forward some to me for testing:rolleyes:

Marty