PDA

View Full Version : No holes in this one!

Jeff Nicol
01-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Here is a NE bowl turned from spalted white birch that I finished up this morning. 8" x 4 3/4" at the high points of the NE. A little danish and antique oil buffed out for the finish. Might put it on e-bay later today.

Happy turning!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Great looking bowl Jeff. Great looking finish. If you put it on ebay let us know how it does.

Greg Just
01-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Nice bowl Jeff - good luck with E-Bay

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice looking bowl Jeff! Really like how you kept all the spalting up on the upper half of the bowl! Looks real fancy! Best of luck with the sales!

Keith Christopher
01-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Very nice bowl !!!!

Jim Kountz
01-10-2009, 1:03 PM
Nice one!! The finish looks pretty and smooth, another winner Jeff!!

Allen Schmid
01-10-2009, 1:26 PM
Jeff,
That is a beauty! Great job all around on this one. Nice job on keeping things "centered". Let us know how you do on your sale.
Allen

Don Eddard
01-10-2009, 2:42 PM
Pretty wood. Since you asked for no critiques, I'll leave it at that. Best of luck with the sale.

Jeff Nicol
01-10-2009, 6:45 PM
Critque away! I have big shoulders and love to here what others have to say! I may go in the back room and whimper a little bit, but I recover fast!! HA! HA!!!! Like I have said before nothing is perfect and a picture is only a picture. THese things we turn need to be touched and smelled and held up to the light and see all that they have to offer! Because the one who buys it thinks it is the most wonderful thing they have ever seen!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! That is why my wife loves me, she is can't see to good!!

Give me your best shot all I can take it!!

Jeff

David Drickhamer
01-10-2009, 9:35 PM
Nice bowl Jeff.
Dave

Dave Torro
01-12-2009, 6:02 PM
Beautiful,,,

Bill Bolen
01-12-2009, 6:09 PM
Jeff that's mighty pretty. Hope it goes on a "buy it now" real fast! Do you have much luck selling bowls or other turnings on "the bay"?..Bill..

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 8:39 PM
Bill, I have sold hundreds of things. If you go and look at my feed back you can see some of it. I have not got it listed yet, there are so many things to do! Go to my info page and you can go to my website and there is a direct link to my e-bay page. I will have to get it on there!

Jeff

Don Eddard
01-12-2009, 9:26 PM
Critque away!
Cool. First thing I noticed was the difference in wall thickness. The rim at the wings look quite a bit thinner than the rim in the dipped-down parts of the sides. Still pretty wood, but I would have spent a bit more time making sure the wall thickness was consistent, at least down far enough to include all of the rim. ;)

I've done the same thing. Sometimes it's the result of sanding more on the wings than the rest of the bowl, too.

Jeff Nicol
01-13-2009, 5:39 AM
Yes the very top of the wings are a bit thinner, but the way it is cut and the amount of difference from the high to the low the amount of NE is going to look wider. The high points are parallel to the base and the low points are almost vertical or about a 75 degree angle. I always leave a little bit more in the bottom of my bowls to keep them bottom heavy, the sides are all just under 1/4" except right at the top. The turning is very symetrical so when you are looking at it the flow and width gradient from high to low and back up again is almost perfect! As I have said before, pictures never give you the whole story.

Thanks for all the comments, I will figure out the holy grail of turned art someday! If it is perfect then there is nothing more to learn!

Jeff