PDA

View Full Version : Wood Supplier in Phoenix?

Mark Godlesky
01-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Where do members by their hardwood and sheet goods in the Phoenix area? I live in the SE valley. Woodworkers Source seems to have some detractors on this site. How is Timber Woodworking? Thanks.

Dave Falkenstein
01-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Suppliers I have used in the Phoenix area:

Woodworkers Source - pricey but good quality and service, IMHO

Spellman Hardwoods - used these guys in Flagstaff, but they have a place in west Phoenix, bought common hardwoods

American Hardwoods - wholesale dealer with minimum order restrictions, large selection of sheet goods, some hardwoods

Craig McCormick
01-10-2009, 6:54 AM
I have used WW Source, American and Timber. WW Source is always my LAST resort.
Mel and Charlie at Timber have always been good to me. I like the things Mel has done on the tool side of the business since he has taken over. I sure hope they make it through these hard times.

AZCRAIG

Brian Kerley
01-10-2009, 8:39 AM
I have used WW Source, American and Timber. WW Source is always my LAST resort.
Mel and Charlie at Timber have always been good to me. I like the things Mel has done on the tool side of the business since he has taken over. I sure hope they make it through these hard times.

AZCRAIG

I know Timber is feeling the pinch, because the last time I went in, I asked to get some boards surfaced, and he told me that he had been sending his guys home early every day because the demand just wasn't there. Timber has great prices, but I haven't picked through enough stuff to comment on quality. I did get some really nice boards from there, but I will at least say that the quality is probably on par with WW source, except it's all rough and half the price.

Also, I've gotten a ton of recommendations about Superior Hardwoods in Phoenix. Their prices are supposed to be not too bad, and the selection is supposed to be quite exellent.

Rich Enders
01-10-2009, 9:33 AM
If you are looking for common hardwoods Superior Hardwoods is hard to beat. A big plus is that the guys out back will let you spend the whole day if needed to pick out the exact boards you want. Everything is stacked on pallets and they put you and the stack somewhere out of the way. They do not do any cutting or surfacing. Everything I have seen over the years has been dry (7-8%). Each side of their hardwood has had a light cut on a planer so you can see the grain.

They also stock Columbia Forest Products prefinished plywood in cherry, oak, maple, etc. (and drawer sides, and drawer hardware, and...). They are definitely oriented to supplying cabinet shops, but they are a good source for common hardwoods.

Joe Jensen
01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm one of the Woodworkers Source detractors. I've lived in the east valley for 24 years and I've used many commercial sources. For the past few years I've been using Lumber Products in Chandler near I10. They are a commercial supplier but they have no minimums. I've also had very good experiece with American and Spellman, but I haven't sourced from them for years. When you buy from a commercial or wholesale source they will ask for you account name or number. I tell them it's a cash account and it's taxable. If they look like they may have concerns, I shrug my shoulders and say I've had some credit problems. Over the 24 years here I've never had a lumber suppliers not sell to me. 20 years ago when I was less confident I printed up some business cards with a made up name as a business. Cost me $10 then. Now you can print your own at home.

Russell Tribby
01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I've used Superior before and was please with the product but it is a long way from me. I live in the east valley and Superior seems like it's in L.A. Most recently I've been using Lumber Products and Timber. I've started buying the waferboard that they carry at Timber and have been pleased with it. If I just need a couple of boards I usually go there as well. If I need anything over 50 bdft. I use Lumber Products. That may change since I had an issue with my last purchase and am not real pleased with their proposed solution.

Mark Godlesky
01-10-2009, 4:24 PM
Thanks to all for your input.