PDA

View Full Version : Ipe - Best Sanding Technique(s)?

Howard Rosenberg
06-23-2004, 9:29 AM
I just bought new Klingspoor 5" 8-hole sanding discs.
Reddish brown abrasive, heavier backing.
What a difference!

The lighter weight Klingspoor discs can't hold a candle to these new discs, but...
I was making tests (aka fooling around) last night and tried scraping.

WOW!
Beatiful sheen, glass-smooth....

But... I don't have the time to scrape 70+ pieces of stock (rock-hard ipe, at that!) on all four sides.

My question is - how do I get the dust out of the grain - obviously this wasn't an issue with the scraped tests.
I've brushed them out with my bench brush; it's OK, but I'd want this grain to SING!
Is blowing out the grain with compressed air a good technique?
If compressed air is what's recommended, should I do it after I finish using each grit?
Or at the end of ALL the sanding is done?

Thank you.
Howard

Russ Filtz
06-23-2004, 9:34 AM
Not an expert, but I always rub down the piece with some mineral spirits and a lint free cloth to get rid of sanding dust. Make sure it's really lint free or else you might introduce more fuzz! One advantage of this is you can tell what the piece will really look like when a finish is applied, as it will bring out any defects in preparation (scratches) temporarily.

Steve Jenkins
06-23-2004, 9:36 AM
I blow off the wood after each grit to be sure there is no grit left on that would cause scratches when using the finer ones. Steve

Jim Becker
06-23-2004, 9:37 AM
Howard, compressed air will be quite helpful in blowing out the pores. I also like to use a soft towel with mineral spirits to clean between grits. Either or both are effective.

John Shuk
06-23-2004, 5:36 PM
I like denatured alchol as well. I just like the clean up. Question anyone ever used Shellac on Ipe. I have been using shellac on some other stuff and am falling in love.

Chris Padilla
06-23-2004, 5:45 PM
John,

You using the clear or amber or garnet???