PDA

View Full Version : Morse taper reaming

Dan Forman
01-09-2009, 7:39 PM
I have a nearly identical problem to this...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100269&highlight=morse+taper+reamer

When I ordered an MT reamer, I asked the salesman if it had a center "dimple" on the back, that could be engaged by the live center on the tailstock to aid in alignment. He didn't know, as it would have to be drop shipped from the manufacturer. I asked him to call me if it didn't have one, as I had read that it was important for proper alignment. Well, he didn't call back, and I got an email the next day thanking me for the order that had been shipped, and that it didn't have the center on the back end.

I'm wondering now if I should just refuse delivery, and order from a different source, or whether it isn't that important, that the reamer should self align as it goes into the spindle. I don't want to take any chances messing up the spindle on my PM 3520 B.

Thanks for suggestions,

Dan

Dahl Troy Perry
01-09-2009, 9:18 PM
If all you are doing is cleaning up the taper the reamer will work without a center in the rear because it is only taking a small amount out to clean ut the taper they are not made to take a lot of stock out of the ID.I use one all the time to clean up spindles at work. If your ID is running out a lot there is something wrong like bearings.

Dahl

Dave Ogren
01-10-2009, 9:59 AM
Reamers always follow the existing hole. Main thing is to go slow and to use a lube i.e. oil. You shouldn't have any problem. Good Luck and Happy Turning

Dave Ogren

Dan Forman
01-10-2009, 6:31 PM
Thanks - I needed that! :)

Dan