PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Rotary Attachment

Joe Nagel
01-09-2009, 5:13 PM
if anyone is interested in a Rotary Attachment for the Epilog laser, here is a link to one I just listed on eBay.

Steve Clarkson
01-09-2009, 5:21 PM
Joe, have you given up on engraving flashlights?

Tom Gooch
01-10-2009, 1:07 AM
Hey Joe, I'm bidding on that---don't be attracting a lot of new bidders---just kidding. ;)

Steve Clarkson
01-10-2009, 1:36 AM
Tom, after the last three wine glasses that I shattered.....you can HAVE mine!!!! Don't worry.....the ROTARY works perfectly............

Frank Corker
01-10-2009, 7:36 AM
Tom, after the last three wine glasses that I shattered.....you can HAVE mine!!!! Don't worry.....the ROTARY works perfectly............

How on earth have you managed to shatter a wine glass? I have never even had one show signs of cracking..... er... well done Steve ....????

Steve Clarkson
01-10-2009, 9:29 AM
Hehe.....I've got a pretty powerful laser Frank!

I'm actually not sure what happened.....I think the glass (which was covered in soap and wet newspaper) slipped off the rotary.....so it stopped rotating.......thus the beam kept hitting the same spot until I managed to get ALL the way through. After picking out the shards of glass from my laser bed, I figured that I should use the pieces to start making stained glass windows.......

Frank Corker
01-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I have to admit that the system for holding the item on the Epilog rotary was definitely a design error. One good trick (especially if you have already allowed the soap to get near the wheels - might be a good time to do it while you are thinking about it), clean and dry each wheel. Get a fine wet and dry piece of sanding paper and give them a gentle rub over. I do that now as a matter of habit when I go to use the rotary, I have had a few slip in my time (not shattered THREE) and I also wash and rub down the bottle/glass. Seems to reduce the slippage to nil.

Martin Boekers
01-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I have to admit, I too have shattered glasses!

Not by the laser power, but by setting up the rotary, putting in a glass then repower up the engraver only to to watch as the laser head moved into position and take out the glass. ( working too fast and didn't lower the table before putting in the glass. )

The Epilog rotary device is terrible (I'm assuming that's why it's on Ebay)
This is pretty much the only problem I can fault Epilog with. You think that through the years by now they could come up with a better device.

entirely too inconsitent with much slippage.

Is there an after market device for Epilog available?

Marty

Frank Corker
01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Just on the engraving side, there is a pretty good demo by a guy who films with one hand, no speech and annoying music but clear image

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPJ7eSyfxc&feature=related

Steve Clarkson
01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Do you want the link to the YouTube video showing me shattering a glass?????

Thanks for the tip about sanding the wheels.

Joe Nagel
01-10-2009, 2:10 PM
Hi guys,

Just to clear things up, the rotary is on eBay because I'm selling my entire shop and house. It's time to relax and travel a little.

I have sold many engraved wine bottles and glasses with this unit. I've never had the pleasure of having the glass break. But then I only have a 25W Epilog.

Joe

Frank Corker
01-10-2009, 4:06 PM
Hi guys,

Just to clear things up, the rotary is on eBay because I'm selling my entire shop and house. It's time to relax and travel a little.

I have sold many engraved wine bottles and glasses with this unit. I've never had the pleasure of having the glass break. But then I only have a 25W Epilog.

Joe

Well good luck to you Joe in your new venture. I hope you get all you need for your relaxation. Does this mean your laser toy has gone too? Scary times.

Frank Corker
01-10-2009, 7:11 PM
Too far to lug it over to the UK I'm afraid.

Bill Jermyn
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Joe, is the rotary attachment still available? And where are you located?

David Fairfield
02-26-2009, 9:33 PM
yeah the Epilog Rotary design has serious issues. Great in theory but not so great in the real world where stuff has play and wobble. When you find a glass design that works well in the rotary, make a note of it and buy more!