PDA

View Full Version : Final Answer to Drill Press Question: Delta 20-950?

Steve H Graham
01-09-2009, 5:11 PM
Shopping for a drill press is really frustrating.

I wanted 6" of quill travel, because I am completely positive that if I get one with one millimeter less, two days after I buy the machine, I will find that I need the full 6". This is just how life works. If I get a 6" machine, I will never need more than 4". It's like preparing for a hurricane. The more you spend on supplies, the farther away the storm will stay.

I would prefer something that has a low speed down around 200, because the same principle that applies to the stroke applies to the RPMs. The innate perversity of the universe assures that I will need to get down to 200 almost as soon as I buy the machine, even if I can't think of a reason why I need it at the time I make the purchase. It will happen. I just know it.

Someone I sort of respect has added to the anxiety by telling me me this principle also applies to the swing. The old machines seem to be limited to 17", unless I'm willing to buy a grotesque object that will fill my garage.

I'm starting to think I should go ahead and drop a pile on a Delta 20-950. It will give me 20" of swing and 6" of travel, and it's about the same size as a 17" press. It has a nice table on it already, so I'll save some money on that. For some reason, the shipping is really cheap, and they don't charge extra for a liftgate.

The irritating thing about the Delta is that it looks like no one has reviewed it, except for one guy on this forum. If anyone here is familiar with them, I would love to hear his impressions.

Is it just my imagination, or are drill presses harder to buy than other tools? Seems like table saws are a cinch compared to this.

Mike Wellner
01-09-2009, 5:13 PM
Shopping for a drill press is really frustrating.

I wanted 6" of quill travel, because I am completely positive that if I get one with one millimeter less, two days after I buy the machine, I will find that I need the full 6". This is just how life works. If I get a 6" machine, I will never need more than 4". It's like preparing for a hurricane. The more you spend on supplies, the farther away the storm will stay.

I would prefer something that has a low speed down around 200, because the same principle that applies to the stroke applies to the RPMs. The innate perversity of the universe assures that I will need to get down to 200 almost as soon as I buy the machine, even if I can't think of a reason why I need it at the time I make the purchase. It will happen. I just know it.

Someone I sort of respect has added to the anxiety by telling me me this principle also applies to the swing. The old machines seem to be limited to 17", unless I'm willing to buy a grotesque object that will fill my garage.

I'm starting to think I should go ahead and drop a pile on a Delta 20-950. It will give me 20" of swing and 6" of travel, and it's about the same size as a 17" press. It has a nice table on it already, so I'll save some money on that. For some reason, the shipping is really cheap, and they don't charge extra for a liftgate.

The irritating thing about the Delta is that it looks like no one has reviewed it, except for one guy on this forum. If anyone here is familiar with them, I would love to hear his impressions.

Is it just my imagination, or are drill presses harder to buy than other tools? Seems like table saws are a cinch compared to this.

The older Delta 17" isnt that too tall and will fit fine in your garage, but quill travel is around 5 inches.

glenn bradley
01-09-2009, 5:33 PM
Not many drill presses are specifically designed for woodworking so it sometimes seems like we are asking for something that just isn't out there, costs more than a mini-cooper or is just as big.

I was saving up for the SCTW DP for the split-head and 6" of travel. I got a killer deal on a 17" Delta at about half the price. My mistake, the Delta has been down, hard, twice and it's not even out of warranty (thank goodness). I hope all the bugs are worked out now.

In contrast, my 1940's Delta has NEVER had a problem. Grandpa bought it new, dad used it for many years and now it's in my shop ;-) It just keep running like a Swiss watch.

Oh, yeah, on the upside I have NEVER missed the lack or a longer quill travel and the WWing specific table rocks; who knew?

Steve H Graham
01-09-2009, 5:54 PM
I love older machines, but I guess when it comes to drill presses and woodworking, new is more practical.

pat warner
01-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Many of us buy or make stuff to be all inclusive.
Have discovered that making the purchase, jig, fixture or whatever for 99+% of all encounters is not a wise move/
Especially, since 95+% of the time the extremes we expected are never realized.

As such get the machine that makes the most since for 95% of your work. No sense buying a 14" saw for that once a year 6 x 6 when the other 351 days you're cutting 2 x 4's.

Routs, Drills & Saws. (http://www.patwarner.com)

Steve H Graham
01-10-2009, 10:37 AM
That's good advice, but I may get one of your router bases anyway! I enjoyed your video.

Kevin Groenke
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm also still looking for a drill press that has all of the features that a good ww drill press should. I agree with Steven that drill presses on the market offer much less utility and ingenuity than other machines.

If the SC had a better table, I would probably buy it... but Delta's trunnioned table is really quite nice. I am dismayed but not surprised by Glenn's experience with a newer Delta. I'm really looking forward to reading about the problems that are bound to plague the new Unisaw (if it ever makes it to market).

I'm currently looking for a 3ph Clausing which I'll add an VFD to and possibly mount to a Delta 17" or 20" base in order to get the 2 way tilting table.

-kg

Frederick Wilt
01-31-2009, 1:25 AM
I just unpacked mine but I need to find some helpers to put it together. Too heavy for me to do it alone. If weight is any indication this is going to be a great tool. <g>

Steve H Graham
02-02-2009, 7:10 PM
After a lot of research, I've half-decided to get a milling machine instead.

Michael Koch
02-02-2009, 8:10 PM
I just picked up the SC 17 inch Drill Press. It is a beast and the 6 inch travel is very nice. Well worth the money. I had a smaller on that use to dance quite a bit, but with the weight of this one, using it is smoth as glass. MK