PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-525

Bill Mitchel
01-09-2009, 4:31 PM
Does anyone have the Delta/Rockwell 46-525. I might be buying one tonight and needed the height of the lathe, might need a pickup. While I'm at it, how do you like turning on this lathe?

Thanks
Bill

Bob Vallaster
01-09-2009, 9:03 PM
Bill,
I have one. Bought it used from a closed shop 15 years ago. Missing some parts and much neglected. I gave the VS mechanism to another turner and installed a DC motor and control. Installed new bearings and it has been running strong ever since. I stand 5'10" and my back lately has been asking me to raise the spindle height another inch. YMMV.

Measurements (all stock)
Spindle height: 42"
Height at top of the headstock pulley cover: 45 3/8"
Height with pulley cover removed: 44 3/8"

That last measurement is ri$ky because your expen$ive aluminum pulley will be expo$ed. I recommend duct taping the pulley cover in place for moving.
The usual recommendations pertaining to lightening the lift: remove tailstock, toolrest, motor. Depending on your confidence with major disassembly & subsequent reassembly, you can take the bed off the cabinet. Don't try it without an illustrated parts diagram (the variable speed assembly has connections to the bed and cabinet).

Just tried OWWM for the IPD, but couldn't find it listed there. Struck out searching 46-525 on the Delta site. I got my paper copy of the IPD from my local Delta-authorized repair center---where I buy the missing parts I can't find on eBay or at the local hardware store.

BobV

Bill Mitchel
01-09-2009, 9:58 PM
Bob

Thanks so much for the information. I am picking it up in the morning and this is just what I needed.

Bill

Bob Vallaster
01-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Bill,

Glad to be of service.

I've owned several Delta 12" lathes; all have been tough, reliable, easy-to-service. The 1" tool rest stem and 1"x8tpi spindle thread are common to several brands, so accessories (new/used) are plentiful and usually reasonable. Not like trying to find stuff for my Oliver...

BobV