PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Question

Hal Peeler
06-23-2004, 7:04 AM
I'd like to make a withdrawl from this bank of knowledge. I am looking to upgrade our digital camera from our Kodak and would like some input. I have narrowed my choices down to the Minolta Dimage Z2, Olympus c750 and maybe the Canon S1 IS. All of these have the 10x optical zoom, which is the main feature I'm looking for. The Minolta and Olympus are 4mp while the Canon is 3. I currently have a 3mp so that is not a big deal. Anyone have any of these cameras or know anything about them? All 3 are in our price range of $400-450. Thanks in advance
Hal

Tim Morton
06-23-2004, 7:27 AM
I think the canon would be a good choice, recently my brother was in the same boat and had pretty much the same choices to choose from. he chose based on not wanting mpeg-4 and because i believe the canon has a video stabilizer built in.

Stefan Antwarg
06-23-2004, 7:33 AM
I would say look over all the features. Since the prices are similar and you don't care about Megapizels, look at the other stuff. Warrenty, repair records, etc. Spend time with each in your hand, and see which one feels better. I own an Olympus and have been pretty happy with it. But those other brands are also supposed to be good.

Stefan

Glenn Clabo
06-23-2004, 7:45 AM
Hal,
I'm a Canon guy. The "Image Stabilized" lenses, even more important in the smaller cameras, are simply the best IMHO.

However, I would suggest that you should do some research and get a camera in your hands. The best site for researching is http://www.dpreview.com/. The menu on the left side of the page gives you access to reviews and detailed explainations.

Good luck...

Bob Hovde
06-23-2004, 9:04 AM
Absolutely get it in your hands. It's a machine. What feels good, solid and easy to use usually works best.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
06-23-2004, 9:06 AM
Yea....you want a camera that takes WONDERFUL pics? Get a Sony DSC-F707. You can find them now in that price range and is what I would love to upgrade to. :D

Kent Cori
06-23-2004, 9:15 AM
Hal,

I assume from your comment about megapixels you are not planning to enlarge any of the photos to 8x10 or above. If you are, you'll want to get the most megapixels you can to obtain the best quality you can for the enlargements.

Carl Eyman
06-23-2004, 9:16 AM
About Withdrawls:

Actually you can't make them. If knowledge is shared it is not reduced, just more widely held.

Jim Becker
06-23-2004, 9:47 AM
I second Glenn's suggestion about DP Reviews. Best place to really find out what experts think about various cameras. You really should consider one of the units that offer "through the lense" viewfinders if you can find one in your price range. It will really help your photography and provide a real upgrade from a basic picture taker. LCD screens and separate view finders start to get annoying in bright light, etc. That's one of the reasons I upgraded.

Kevin Beck
06-23-2004, 10:48 AM
I just ordered a Minolta DiMAGE Z2 through our employee sales yesterday (I work for Konica Minolta Systems Lab). I read the reviews on dpreview.com and Steves Digicams and it appears to have the features I need. We have used a Canon S10 for 3 years and it has been great but we definitely feel the need for more zoom than 2X.

Kevin