PDA

View Full Version : My New Workshop

tody Brock
01-09-2009, 4:11 PM
Well, here it is. Three months after moving into our new house (new to us), I finally got my shop set up. I am always open to better ideas on shop organization, so if you have any, let me hear them. My wife thought she came up with a great idea last week, when it was pouring down rain, and she was getting soaking wet while bringing the groceries in from her car, she thought wouldn't it be a get idea of someone could come up with an idea, so that when it is inclimate weather, you would have some sort of building that you could pull a car into so you wouldn't get wet. I told her I thought is was a good idea and maybe some day in her lifetime someone would come up with something like that, but it was way beyond my realm of expertise. Gosh, you got to love that woman, I know I do.

Steve Clardy
01-09-2009, 4:13 PM
Looks like you are an organizer. ;)

Dewey Torres
01-09-2009, 4:23 PM
Looks like a well put together shop. It looks like it took you a while.
Thanks for posting.

Prashun Patel
01-09-2009, 4:29 PM
What are those shovels and yard tools doing there? They're taking up valuable clamp storage real estate. Perhaps wifey would allow you to store that stuff in her master closet.

Eric Porter
01-09-2009, 4:53 PM
Well, here it is. Three months after moving into our new house (new to us), I finally got my shop set up. I am always open to better ideas on shop organization, so if you have any, let me hear them. My wife thought she came up with a great idea last week, when it was pouring down rain, and she was getting soaking wet while bringing the groceries in from her car, she thought wouldn't it be a get idea of someone could come up with an idea, so that when it is inclimate weather, you would have some sort of building that you could pull a car into so you wouldn't get wet. I told her I thought is was a good idea and maybe some day in her lifetime someone would come up with something like that, but it was way beyond my realm of expertise. Gosh, you got to love that woman, I know I do.

That reminds me of one of the most priceless quotes my 4yr. old then 5yr. now, son ever said. When my wife was driving out of our neighbor in SC, my son noticed that one of our neighbors had their garage door open. He said, "Mama how come they park their cars in the workshop?" Just, let me know I was raising him right.

Eric

Gary Lange
01-09-2009, 4:55 PM
Looks very nice and well organized which is important especially to me since I have a smaller shop.

Joel Earl
01-09-2009, 6:48 PM
LOL Erc - mine is kinda contrare tho:D

Wife # 1 said she gets her spot in garage -get the stuff moved over or out. I complied-sorta. @ years later I had the whole thing to myself.

Wife # 2 said she gets at least 1 stall of the 3 and since it was 40' by 28' deep I thought okay. For awhile.

Wife # 3 ---- ain't happening. The GF is just fine with how it all is.
She'll stay as the GF

Coulda bought about a 10,000 s/f shop for the costs of being free. Then again that's the easy way to do things. I never think 2x

Don Bullock
01-09-2009, 7:35 PM
Tody,
That's a great looking space. It looks well organized. Congratulations!!!

I hope to soon be able to move all my tools into my new shop/garage. I say garage because one stall will be used to store my custom car. Occasionally a second stall may be used so that your quote "...when it is inclimate weather, you would have some sort of building that you could pull a car into so you wouldn't get wet." can come true at our house. With a 24' x 40' building I have the space. Besides, I don't like getting wet either.;):D

Rob Cooper
01-09-2009, 7:40 PM
Only 3 months into a move... you have been busy. Nice setup.

Sonny Edmonds
01-09-2009, 9:11 PM
Well, you done better than I did with mine. Took 11 months before I felt like I had my shop back and didn't need to climb in the rafters to do something else.
Steve sez you look like you're organized. I bet you are in Texas, not Oregon-ised at all. :D
I can assure you that my two pre-requisites have never been compromised with my third wife. I own the shop, and I own an office. (Sometimes it more resembles and orifice though, but I digress...)
Machinery goes in the shop, cars go outside. My office/orifice is home to my compooter junk, stereo system, and gun safe. A "man-cave", if you will.
But a carport add-on might be a nice place to store wood and still leave her room to squeeze in and out of... hummm... ;)
I could put her washer and dryer outside and have that sq. footage back. :rolleyes: Put a sink and a urinal over there. :p

Ken Higginbotham
01-10-2009, 9:07 AM
How did you do the 'Attached Thumbnails' thing?

ken

Ted Jay
01-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Tody,
Good looking shop space.
I recommend closing in the gas hot water heater, adding a filtered vent at the bottom of the door

Ted

tody Brock
01-11-2009, 8:47 AM
Ken, look below where you add your post, below the message box you type in and there is a button that says "manage attachments", that is where you add your pics

Ray Schafer
01-11-2009, 10:49 AM
My only suggestion is that you get rid of some of your tools to create some additional floor space. I would be willing to give you my address if you need some place to send them. ;)

Bruce Page
01-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Tody, nice shop, how big is it?

Ted Jay
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Is that a drafting table with a borco top, you have hinged to the wall back there?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106380&d=1231536003

Ted

tody Brock
01-11-2009, 2:07 PM
Its 21x22 and Sonny those Big Orange T's you see in some of the pics is definately not for Texas, but for Tennessee, Go Big Orange!!!

tody Brock
01-11-2009, 2:09 PM
No, its just 3/4" plywood with 1/4" hardboard on top...works out great for a assembly table or a good place to pile stuff up, but then as you see, it folds up against the wall. A great space saver!

Peter Scoma
01-11-2009, 7:49 PM
Real nice space. Any desire to paint the walls or floor??

Peter

Mark Carlson
01-11-2009, 8:29 PM
Nice looking shop. I see dust collection hose but no dust collector. Do you have one?

Jim Kountz
01-12-2009, 2:30 AM
Are those (gulp) gardening tools hanging on the wall?? Oh no.......I feel dizzy......gotta sit down for a while........pretend its not happening........Oh wait its happening to you not me!! Whew!! That was almost real for a minute!! LOL
Nice looking setup Tody, now that its all setup get out there and make us all proud!!

Don Bullock
01-12-2009, 8:44 AM
Are those (gulp) gardening tools hanging on the wall?? Oh no...

Jim, I noticed some fertilizer and even a flower pot.;):D

Tody, I hope you don't mind the kidding. Some of us just don't have anywhere else to store those things. Your shop is looking great. Congratulations and enjoy.

I'm afraid that in my new shop/garage once I've moved in that there will be far more other types of items stored there. One of the reasons that SWMBO let me build it was that there would be storage for all our Christmas stuff somewhere out there.:o We bought shelves similar to yours for one corner of the garage portion of the building.:rolleyes: