PDA

View Full Version : A bad day...

Ken Smith
01-09-2009, 3:40 PM
I've been working out of my garage with my ULS-V460. I had been doing some engraving earlier in the day and I had my laptop hooked to my laser. At one point I got careless, preoccupied, or whatever, and I tripped over my connected printer cable while I was carrying some remnant pieces of museum glass....

The glass broke, the cable yanked my Thinkpad off the table and shattered the LCD screen, and the jolt knocked by V460 out of alignment on the X axis.

Okay, I didn't care about the glass. The pieces were scrap, and I was on my way over to the garbage can when I tripped. The laptop was destroyed, and not worth fixing. I did salvage the RAM, and drives though.

The worst part was the laser alignment.

Adjusting the X axis is easy, IF you know what you are doing. I obviously didn't. I didn't see anything in the V460 manual, and my laser is out of warranty, so I figured that I would give the old college try. I looked at the gantry and decided that I would try moving the Y axis arms. They look like they are designed for small adjustments.....BAD MOVE....don't do this! They are calibrated at the factory in Arizona, and should not be moved.

All I really need to do was to simply loosen the coupler/anti-backlash nut on the drive shaft and make sure both sides of the x-axis were hitting the front alignment pins prior to re-tightening. Doh!

After a lot of patience, I was able to get everything "close enough" again, and its working well. Just knowing that its slightly out of whack, really drives me nuts though. I see a trip to Scottsdale in my future.

I ended up picking up a new laptop for cheap. Luckily a local pawn shop had another T30. I was able to just plug my hard drive and was back in business.

Ken

Mike Mackenzie
01-09-2009, 3:52 PM
Ken,

As long as you did not move the Y axis rail/rails a lot you should be OK. The X axis arm is easy to re-square.

To check it open the top door and press the XY button now press both triangle keys at the same time this will send the head over to the zero, zero position on the rulers. Now use the XY arrow keys and move the red diode along the rulers. If it follows the rulers correctly you should be OK.

By the way we are on your way to AZ but a lot closer to you and we can fix any problem you might have.

Steve Clarkson
01-09-2009, 4:00 PM
Ken.....the GOOD news is that you didn't fall down on the broken glass, thereby slicing a huge gash in your main artery which was cause you to bleed to death on your garage floor where no one would find you for days!

Sounds like you have a good outlook on the whole situation anyway....but it can't hurt to point out the silver lining.

Yup, sounds to me like Santa will be bringing you some late Christmas presents.

Arturo Villegas
01-09-2009, 4:58 PM
Man, I taught I had some bad trips. Hope you get your machine up and running. Sorry to hear that.

Ken Smith
01-09-2009, 6:28 PM
I have another silver lining, too...my replacement laptop is a lot faster. :-)

Ken Smith
01-09-2009, 6:31 PM
I moved the Y axis arms around quite a bit, but with some patience, and advice from ULS support and my local rep, I was able to square things up and get it really close to perfect. Certainly good enough for the work I am doing.

I was just really upset with myself for the whole incident.

Ken

John W. Love
01-09-2009, 6:33 PM
I have another silver lining, too...my replacement laptop is a lot faster. :-)

Just for future reference, This was NOT the best method to go about getting a faster laptop. Next time just ask Santa :D

Roy Nicholson
01-10-2009, 1:19 AM
Well done Ken it sounds as if you've come out of it quite well...

An incident here last night with my grandchildren,,,

Young ten year old told the three year old that eh thought it was time for her bed,

She wasn't impressed so came across adn poured a half litre bottle of water over the keyboard of my laptop that he was using.

At least she got her point across and I think in future he wil remember to keep his opinions regarding her bedtime to himself.

It was only 6.30 in the evening.

I took the back of the laptop off and got most of the water out and left it to drain overnight.

I've had it sitting in the sun all day and I've just fired it up and it works a treat.

I'll leave it running for the next 24 hours and the heat it generates should dry up any remaining moisture.

So all's well that ends well...

Regards

Roy N.:rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
01-11-2009, 8:55 PM
Side note for the waterlogged electronics...

Once you have most of the water out, pour in a bunch of alcohol (isopropyl, not drinking ;) ). The alcohol will displace the water, evaporate significantly faster than the water, and not leave a potentially conductive residue should you be in an area with hard water.