PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw question

Dustin Cranford
01-09-2009, 3:21 PM
I hope it's ok to ask this in this forum.

I found a guy with a Jet bandsaw for sale and I need one for rounding blanks cutting pen blanks ect.... It is a Jet JWBS-12. I don't know much about bandsaws and I realize the 12" is probably 6 or 7 years old. Anyone have any info on these? I googled it and found some, but you know how google is sometimes. Anyone know if it will take a riser block and if parts are even available for it?

Anyways the guy wants 200 bucks for it, but I am sure I could get it for 175. Just don't know if I should wait and buy the grizzley I want.

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2009, 4:26 PM
Dustin, guess it really depends on whether you need a bandsaw now or can wait and pick up something that you can use now as well as meet your needs later.

I have a Jet 14" cabinet style bandsaw with a 1 hp motor. For the most part the bandsaw has done everything I have asked of it but it is not really designed for rounding bowl blanks unless you use a riser - which I do not have. The 1 hp is fine as long as you have the right blade for the job.

I bought the Jet when I started woodworking (flatwork) - but, now that turning is my passion, if I was to buy a bandsaw today I would get one of the larger models and have plenty of cutting clearance and power. The 18" and bigger saws were not available when I picked mine up - so it wasn't an option.

Hope that helps.

Dustin Cranford
01-09-2009, 8:59 PM
Thanks Steve

Lance Norris
01-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Dustin... if it were me, Id hold off on that one for several reasons. If I recall correctly, its only 1/2 horse. If there was a riser available for it(and I dont think there is), it wouldnt have enough power to do much thick cutting. Another reason to pass is I doubt there are many aftermarket accessories for that saw. If you were to buy one of the Delta style 14" cast iron saws, they are all basically the same and there is a great number of add-on accessories for these saws. Save a little more money, watch Craigslist for a deal on a used saw, take a look at Grizzly, go to the orange borg and look at the Ridgid(I have one and am happy with it). Buy a 14" saw and you wont go wrong. If you outgrow its capabilities, keep it, put on a small blade and buy a bigger saw and install a large blade on it. You dont know how nice it really is to have 2 bandsaws with 2 different size blades. I know... sorry... you just be happy with one for now, right? :o

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I have the Grizzly G0555 with the riser block. Works great. I looked at one of those and decided against it.