PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the laser to hook up to the new laptop

Mitchell Andrus
01-09-2009, 2:48 PM
LaserPro Spirit...

Tried old USB drivers, and new ones from GCC....

Getting 'dun, dun, dun' (connection failed) sound when either turning on the laser or plugging it in while running. The same old drivers work fine on the desktop.

Old and new printer drivers have been tried in multiple combinations, old/new.

The Spirit shows up in the printers list, USB0, ready to go. The printer driver comes up in Corel and shows the printer is ready.

I get the failure to print error.

Any ideas?

Deane Shepard
01-09-2009, 3:15 PM
Mitchell - You've probably already tried it, but make sure there is nothing else running that uses USB. I had a similar problem and the problem turned out to be that there was a controller program in the background that handled a vinyl cutter, that wasn't even ON, that was interfering with the USB stream to the printer. I killed or removed every program that even could touch the USB and the laser worked fine. Then by adding things back, one at a time, I found the vinyl cutter controller code.

Might be worth a look.

Deane Shepard

Frank Corker
01-09-2009, 3:32 PM
It might be worth mentioning that using USB cable is restricted on distance between the PC and the laser. I know it's only about 2 metres before it needs a booster. Ethernet connections are much more reliable, albeit a little more fiddly to set up. If your new laptop has VISTA installed, you might want to consult the website for a better driver.

Larry Bratton
01-09-2009, 5:50 PM
I know this is stupid..but have you cleared the que?

Mitchell Andrus
01-09-2009, 7:09 PM
XP Pro, BTW.

Well, I've gotten it to work - I've got to try to break it now... but I may wait til the 'morrow.

It isn't the cable, it works on the desktop, and I've tried a shorter, 6 footer.

I, as Deane suggested, removed the other USB devise(s). Only one was plugged in... the Logitech USB wireless mouse. Yep, the laser was 'found' by using an older driver and it sent the file to the laser. When I plugged the mouse's sender into a different USB socket it also worked - sort of. Each time I plug the laser into a USB slot, Windows asked to re-install the driver. This is a step in the right direction.

I'm exhausted, so the discoveries yet to come will have to wait. Like I said, I've got to see what conditions cause it to braek again, and if I can use the latest driver supplied, etc....