PDA

View Full Version : When some bark breaks off - NE

Dana Berenson
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
While finish-turning an NE bowl, if some of the bark breaks off, what do youi do? Do you leave it? Break off the rest of the bark? Try to taper the break? Make it a normal flat bowl?

Curt Fuller
01-09-2009, 1:24 PM
If you can find the pieces amongst the shavings, you can glue them back on with some CA. They'll probably hold as tight or tighter than the rest of the bark. To prevent the bark from breaking off you can soak the edge between the bark and the wood with CA when you get close to the thickness you're after, let it sit a few minutes, and then do your final cuts.

Joseph Barnes
01-09-2009, 5:06 PM
I had a piece of chestnut that I couldn't save the bark on so I got creative and suspended the bark with copper after I painted the rim black. The piece looked great and sold at the first show I took it to. Some more pictures of it are my website at http://www.betweenartandcraft.com/gallery_small_s006.html

Bill Bolen
01-09-2009, 5:45 PM
If it is not an overly large piece of bark gone AWOL I break out an old soldering iron and burn the edge in the missing area. Looks better than the wood edge and you still keep most of the bark...Bill..

Duff Bement
01-09-2009, 6:35 PM
I think natural edge means natural edge, bark comes off in nature too. Most of the time it really does not take away from the effect, it just looks natural. If the shape is good and the finish is good no one will know that it wasn't that way before you turned it. IMHO nobody need to know but you.
Duff

Jim Kountz
01-09-2009, 8:54 PM
Ive only done two NE bowls and I lost the bark on both. I chalked it up to lack of experience!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
If it is a very small area and I can find it I CA glue it back on then CA the rest of the bark just to be sure it stays. If it is a large area I take the rest of the bark off then either dye it with black india ink or burn it.