PDA

View Full Version : Fine Woodworking CD Closeout

John Weber
06-22-2004, 11:15 PM
I just saw this on another forum and ordered. They are offering the FWW CD for $50 with free shipping. Word is, it's legit, and I paid via PayPal, so I have protection that way. Might want to check it out.

John

Fine Woodworking CD (http://www.bidzonez.com/)

Mark Singer
06-23-2004, 1:06 AM
John,
Thanks...I just ordered one ...I think it is a great source on info. without the advertising and it takes a lot less shelf space than 27 years of FWW!

Jim Guy
06-23-2004, 7:22 AM
Thanks for the info John. Just placed my order.

Mac McAtee
06-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Done!
Thanks John

Tom LaRussa
06-23-2004, 10:41 AM
I just saw this on another forum and ordered. They are offering the FWW CD for $50 with free shipping. Word is, it's legit, and I paid via PayPal, so I have protection that way. Might want to check it out.

John

Fine Woodworking CD (http://www.bidzonez.com/)

John,

Sounds like a great deal, but it worries me a bit that FWW is still selling the same CD for $150. http://www.taunton.com/store/fwarchive/fwcd_order.asp

Somebody please let us all know when you receive the CD, so those of us who are chicken can try to get in on the deal too. :D

Thanks,

augie

Ed Falis
06-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Looks like a great deal; also looks legit.

Both of those CD's are awesome.

- Ed

Jack Hogoboom
06-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Ordered mine too. Won't tell my wife, though. She'll make me toss all of the magazines.

Jack

Jim Becker
06-24-2004, 9:24 AM
I have the Fine Woodworking CD (bought it when it was first released) and it's really good to have on your shelf, largely because it has a number of articles from issues way before many of us subscribed to the magazine. It also offers expanded online information at the Taunton site with registration. The price in this offer is a steal, and after looking at the site, it does "appear" to be legit...you folks who ordered need to let us know if and when you receive your merchandise!

John Davidson
06-24-2004, 9:32 AM
I ordered last night after cheking out thier user name on Ebay. They are also auctioning the disk there aswell and thay have a very good feedback rating. Until I saw this I was concerned if this was a legit deal but it appears so, so I took the plunge. The disk are going for a little more on Ebay, $59.

Chris Padilla
06-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Hmm, seems I can't pay any other way save for PayPal, which I'd rather not do if possible.

Edit: I see, if one chooses "I don't have a PayPal account" then you can avoid paying through PayPal and choose whatever credit card. Cool, ordered the FWW CD! :)

Jack Hogoboom
06-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Chris,

Why not? You can use a credit card if you want to. Very safe and the seller has to pay any related credit card fees. I do it all the time for stuff I buy on Ebay.

Jack

Jim Becker
06-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Hmm, seems I can't pay any other way save for PayPal, which I'd rather not do if possible.
Well...you can pay via credit card at the Fine Woodworking site...but the price is, um...higher.:o

Christopher Pine
06-24-2004, 9:56 PM
I noticed several months ago the announcement was made by woodsmith that they will no longer be selling or printing back issues of the magazine... thought to myself wondering if they will be coming out with similiar disk.
Chris Pine

Jim Taylor
06-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Wow, what a price. Makes me wonder if these are knock-offs. I looked over my disk, and there is no security. Let us know if you get the one year on-line access.

Tony Sade
06-25-2004, 6:43 AM
I saw this on another forum, purporting to be a response from Taunton Press about this deal. FWIW.

"The following is the reply that I got from Taunton Press. Now, I guess, the next question is what benefit does one get from registering the cd.

"Thank you for your email. This is to confirm that we are the only company that has our CD's. If anyone else has the CD for sale it is assumed to be used and may not be able to be registered. If someone is selling our CD
online at bidzone .com and the CD is not used, the price could range from starting bid price to whatever price the highest bid is. I hope this explanation is satisfactory to you.

As for our selling price for the CD: Containing over 600 articles from past issues as well as information never published in our magazines, we're sure they will prove invaluable to amateurs and professionals alike. Imagine
having the info from our most popular olumns "Methods of Work" on the Fine Woodworking CD and "Tips & Techniques" on the Fine Homebuilding CD at your
fingertips! While the price may seem high, it works out to an economical 25 cents an article! In case you're curious, you can access a listing of what's on the CDs by going to www.finehomebuilding.com/archives or
www.finewoodworking.com/archives. There you can see the articles that appear on the CD. You can also purchase individual articles if you choose.
Our goal is to provide our customers with the highest quality books, magazines and, now, CDs. We value your opinions and look forward to serving you better."

Jim Guy
06-25-2004, 8:01 AM
I'm starting to get a little worried about the CD deal at http://www.bidzonez.com/index.html
Taunton Press has not authorized this, plus when you go to the web site the only two products offered do not mention the name Taunton at all. There are links to view example articles, none of which work. I sure hope I have not gotten burned.

Jack Hogoboom
06-25-2004, 9:33 AM
Jim,

I just tried the site link and had no problem accessing the sample articles. I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 installed. You might need to update your Acrobat version.

It doesn't say whether the disks are new or used or whether they give access to the website. However, $50 for access to over 600 articles is still a good deal to me. Glad I ordered mine earlier in the week.

Jack

Zahid Naqvi
06-25-2004, 9:58 AM
I took the bait as well. Reading from the information they have on their website, it seems they have acquired these CDs from another retailer which was going out of business. Which explains the low selling price as well as suggesting that their sale is legal, else Tauton would have taken action against them by now.

Jack Hogoboom
06-25-2004, 11:29 AM
If you follow the links from their site to Ebay, you'll see a number of successful auctions of the same CD to buyers who all left positive feedback. According to the auction posting, Wordsmith is effectively acting as an agent in connection with the liquidation of a contruction business (I don't know why such a business would have so many copies of the CD) and is reselling the disks. They are described as being in "excellent used condition" and come with the "product key" which I assume will allow you to access the added features on the Taunton site (maybe I shouldn't assume that). However, I doubt Taunton has the legal right to stop you from accessing the site if you have the product code unless they have some kind of a restriction on transferability in their site license, which is probably unenforceable. They have some current auctions on Ebay which describe the disks the same way, but say nothing about receiving the product code.

Please note that the link that was posted here has none of this information, but it makes sense that they are selling directly the same thing they are posting on Ebay. Also, the price offered on their site is significantly lower than the auction prices they've been getting.

I did get an email notification from them today that my copy has been shipped by media mail (which will take forever to get to me), so they obviously had something to send. If it was an outright fraud, I doubt they would've bothered to ship anything.

You can also call them toll free at (877) 801-8411.

I hope this helps everyone.

Jack

Jim Guy
06-25-2004, 1:49 PM
Thanks for the extra input. Knowing this makes me feel better.
Any yes, I do need to update my Acrobat version.

Jerry Olexa
06-25-2004, 5:44 PM
THANK YOU!! Looks good! Just ordered. We'll keep fingers crossed!! GREAT TIP!! Another benefit of belonging to this wonderful forum!! Jerry:)