PDA

View Full Version : Black cherry burl with NE

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 6:35 AM
Good morning SMC! Here is a Black cherry burl piece that I need to get another coat or two of finish on and buff out. I glued a piece of cherry to the bottom to add more height. It is 5 1/2" tall and 5" wide at the widest with 3/16" to 1/4" thick sidewalls. One coat of danish oil to bring out the grain so I could take a few pics of it. It is for a lady in Texas and I wanted to get her a progress report out!

Thanks for checking it out!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2009, 7:21 AM
I like it! Beautiful wood! Rich color and great grain patterns! Interesting form! The detail lines at the neck work well with this piece by separating the body of the work and the natural edge. Nice effect!

I am sure your customer will be thrilled with the piece! Very nice work Jeff! Thanks for sharing!

Jim Kountz
01-09-2009, 7:59 AM
Very nice job, I love these burls and this one is a beauty!!

David Christopher
01-09-2009, 8:44 AM
very nice bowl Jeff, I love the color and shape. I'm sure the lady that you made it for will love it

Joel Ficke
01-09-2009, 8:50 AM
Love it Jeff. I need to stop by your shop one of these days just to say hi. Didn't realize you were so close.

Barry Stratton
01-09-2009, 9:05 AM
That is one fine looking piece of cherry burl and I really like the form.

It begs the question though.......was the height needed because you turned thru the bottom and made a burl funnel??? I know I've done that a time or two myself.

Again, fine piece of wood. I see why you are trying to save it!

Brian Effinger
01-09-2009, 9:57 AM
I really like this Jeff. Great color and grain, but what I really like is the band near the NE. It makes it look like the form is being cinched closed.

Brian

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
To start thanks for all your kind words! This burl I collected a couple of years ago and it was buried behind some lumber on a shelf. So as I was looking for a proper sized blank for the turning all I had at home was this burl. It looked pretty solid with a few cracks and as you might be able to see the pith of the limb is in the turning! So after I roughed out and looked at it, it needed some height so I put the cherry on the bottom. It looks like I covered up a boo-boo, but it was planned! I have another piece I am working on that has the OOPS!! in the bottom though!!

Joel, Stop in anytime, I am most always home unless the fish are biting somewhere! Next week will be fridgid cold so I will be in the shop with the woodstove cooking!

Thanks again all!!

Jeff

Don Eddard
01-09-2009, 1:57 PM
Nice wood and form, but the plug in the bottom ruins it for me. I would have at least tried to line up the grain a bit better. I'm just being brutally honest, since I've seen you turn some nice stuff in the past.

As long as the customer likes it though, I guess it's all good.

Barry Stratton
01-09-2009, 4:15 PM
snip...... So after I roughed out and looked at it, it needed some height so I put the cherry on the bottom. It looks like I covered up a boo-boo, but it was planned!

Dang:eek: you INTENTIONALLY turned thru a piece of cherry burl to expose a mismatched (color and grain) piece of plain cherry:confused:. That is definitely thinking outside the box!

I hope your customer appreciates it.

If you don't mind, how much do you get for a piece like this? I've got a bunch of roughouts in need of some extra height:D

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 9:34 PM
When it is sitting on the shelf and full of dust like all the rest of the dust collectors we make I am sure it won't make much difference! She said that it might get filled with pot pourri and it sure won't care!

Don't knock it till you try it! I like to be different, heck my wife says I'm special!!!

Thanks guys, it will be way below zero next week maybe the fire will get it HA! HA!!

Jeff

Steve Hajewski
01-09-2009, 9:47 PM
Ok, I'm new to this so pardon what may be a dumb question.

With the irregular top, do you have problems with it being off balance as you turn it, and do you just overcome by going slow?

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Great looking piece and some extra nice burl.

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Steve, When you start out with just about any turning blank, they are all a little out of balance. I start by making a flat spot on the bark side so I can drill a hole and mount the burl to a screwcenter mounted in a chuck. Then I bring up the tailstock to support the whole thing while roughing out the blank. I turn a tenon on the opposite end of the bark and then mount the semi turned bowl directly on the chuck. Since this was a small piece there was not much mass to start with, but once it is round and I start hollowing it out there is no problem. If it were a 20" burl it would take a little longer to get it balanced out but it will do it eventually!

Just try it with a small half log and start out slow and you will see it take shape. Speed, weight and tailstock support are key to the whole process!

Hope it helps,

Jeff

Mark Rios
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Steve, When you start out with just about any turning blank, they are all a little out of balance. I start by making a flat spot on the bark side so I can drill a hole and mount the burl to a screwcenter mounted in a chuck. Then I bring up the tailstock to support the whole thing while roughing out the blank. I turn a tenon on the opposite end of the bark and then mount the semi turned bowl directly on the chuck. Since this was a small piece there was not much mass to start with, but once it is round and I start hollowing it out there is no problem. If it were a 20" burl it would take a little longer to get it balanced out but it will do it eventually!

Just try it with a small half log and start out slow and you will see it take shape. Speed, weight and tailstock support are key to the whole process!

Hope it helps,

Jeff

I always like it when my tailstock is nicely supported.

Neal Addy
01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I always like it when my tailstock is nicely supported.

I ain't touching that one. :rolleyes:

Jeff Nicol
01-10-2009, 6:18 AM
Well guys since my tailstock is always supporting what I have spinning! My customer sent me back an e-mail and says that this turning in one of her favorites!!! She wants a couple miniatures to go along with it so I need to get them done today. If I had 10 customers like her I could make a bundle on not much production!

Love all the comments and SMC is a great place to share and learn! Also get a few laughs!!

Thanks to all!!!

Jeff