PDA

View Full Version : big haul

alex carey
01-09-2009, 3:12 AM
Neighbor cut down their ficus tree and I reaped all the benefits. Don't worry, I don't plan on turning any of this stuff on my lathe. I will definitely wait until I upgrade. The pieces on the far left and far right are half's of each other. They were where the tree branched off, hopefully should make for some good grain in a generally boring wood. Both are about 19x19x6. They each weighted around 70 pounds. That is gonna be fun stuff.

Alex

charlie knighton
01-09-2009, 4:01 AM
enjoy.....

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2009, 7:13 AM
Congrats on your wood score Alex! Be sure to seal everything ASAP. If you find the wood to plain for your taste - once you have turned it - remember that there is always dye or stain to help spice things up a little! Hope you are able to find a larger lathe soon!

Joe Tonich
01-09-2009, 9:12 AM
Alex, I've been reading the threads, you getting slammed by a turning, wanting to turn BIG blanks, etc... Not trying to be smart, but I think you aughta follow some of the advice and get some lessons before we end up reading about you in the Obit's. :(

Jason Clark2
01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I helped take down a big ficus with some other turners a little over a year ago. The grain was very plain and not very attractive IMO, but it was fun to turn green. It's quite soft and you can take very heavy cuts leaving huge stringy shavings everywher with minimal effort. I still have several roughouts sitting it my garage that will be dyed or textured our a combination of the 2.

Jason

alex carey
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
yeah, i have turned a bit of it also. I think I'm gonna try burning this stuff when I get the chance. It'll make good practice wood.

Alex

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Ain't it about time for that BIG MUSTARD (3520)?????:eek::D:rolleyes::cool:;)

alex carey
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
My dad comes home from work tomorrow at 12:00, we begin wiring the garage at 12:01, soon as we get it figured out, I am ordering the lathe.

Alex