PDA

View Full Version : Scrapers on the cheap?

Scott Conners
01-09-2009, 2:09 AM
I need a couple of decent scrapers badly right now, but spending $100+ for each one is out of reach. I'm trying to make or buy a large inboard bowl scraper, approx. 1.25"x3/8", and a hollowing scraper, approx. 1/2"x3/8". I'd also like to make a bedan, which would be square 3/8" or 1/2" stock.

Bob H. turned me onto MSC's rectangular tool bits (http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2044444&PMT4NO=0), but they only come 8" long and 1/2" thick, which doesn't seem optimal to me.

Can anyone suggest a place to get HSS blanks for scrapers in a longer length? Or where to get this size scraper on a budget? I don't mind off-brand, as long as it is HSS.

I'd prefer to not have to temper, as my results in the past were always unpredictable.

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 6:01 AM
Scott, I did the same a while ago, I looked all over the internet to find a couple of places that sold HSS rectangle and square stock. The price for a 10"-12" piece was just about as expensive as buying a completed tool. The only way to save a buck was to buy large quantities and that was out of the question! If I were you I would just buy some of the cheaper tools out there: Benjamins Best, Windsor design, harbor freight etc and grind them into what ever you need. Also the Artisian series the Craft Supplies sells are inexpensive but do the job! One the other hand I have bought the same HSS tool bits like MSC has at ENCO and made a handle to use the 8" lengths very nicely! I also make scrapers and cutters out of old table saw blades of any shape and size that I mount in three different swan neck and straight handles that I made to do inside finish scraping and also on the outside. For the out side I sandwich the cutter and leave about 1/4" out of the tool holder. This gives it plenty of stength and works great as a shear scraper. I will take some pics and show you what I mean.

Good luck and I like a guy that wants to do it on the cheap!

Jeff

Ken Glass
01-09-2009, 6:10 AM
Scott,
Penn State has a set of (2) two inboard scrapers for $46. I have them and they are very usable and of good quality. They are Benjamin's Best. http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? They are item # LCSIDE2.

Frank Townend
01-09-2009, 7:01 AM
I have bought tool steel from Speedy Metals (http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8287-.aspx).
If it helps, their Specification Sheet (http://www.speedymetals.com/information/material11.html) details the characteristics of each metal.
They don't require a minimum order and they also have good prices on their eBay Store (http://stores.ebay.com/The-Speedy-Metals-Listings-Store).

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2009, 7:15 AM
Another vote for Penn State. I have their large round scraper and use it all the time! It is a good tool and very inexpensive!

robert hainstock
01-09-2009, 7:20 AM
I too use the Benjamen's best scrapers. GOOD TOOLS.:)
Bob

Terry Quiram
01-09-2009, 9:07 AM
Do you have an Industrial Grinding business in your area? I was able to get some steel that had been sharpened past its intended unfullness. A couple of pieces were worn out blades from a Zamboni. They had mounting holes and I was able to cut them to make specialized scrapers for my Sorby hand held scraper. The steel was 3/8 thick and 2" wide and was Rc70 hardness. The best part? The steel was free.

Don Carter
01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Scott:
I use the large round nose scraper from PSI as well. It does a great job and it is hard to make a tool and handle for what it cost.

All the best.

Don

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Scott, Here are a few pics of my scrapers on the cheap. I am not sure but I think everything I used was stuff I kept along the way. So maybe $10 in the whole lot! The two pics of the oak turning are to show how the big scraper cuts outside and inside with no sanding. This very straight grain and right into the end grain. Saw blades are everywhere and the steel is hard and holds an edge very well!

Jeff

Richard Madison
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Another super cheap approach is to use tool bits (about $3 each) clamped in scrap 1/2" steel pipes with set screws. Finally made wood handles for some of mine after several years of use. They are seriously ugly, but the tool bits do not know that, and they cut very well. Easy to remove from the custom holders (1/2" steel pipe) and sharpen.

john taliaferro
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
how are you cutting , i tried a cut off wheel on a die grinder worked but not good .john t

Curt Fuller
01-09-2009, 1:27 PM
I apologize for not remembering his name, but the Creeker from Peru that does all the amazing tropical wood pieces with the primitive tools of the jungle uses old car leaf springs for scrapers. I've been going to try it myself someday.

Scott Conners
01-09-2009, 3:12 PM
Jeff, those are good looking tools! Unfortunately due to space constraints (apartment living), my current shop is small and poorly equipped. Other than lathe and grinder, I only have hand held power tools. Making shafts like you did might be possible, but is probably more work than it's worth for an imprecise result.

I do have a few scrapers by Windsor design (HF set), as well as an old carbon steel 1", but they all have 1/4" or less thicknesses, which just isn't enough steel much of the time, even on my mini lathe. I'm specifically looking for tools with a thicker profile. I hadn't realized that the set from PSI has a 3/8" thick larger scraper, that may be the best choice right there.

Don, Robert, Ken, Steve etc. - How thick is the large PSI scraper? It says 1.5" wide, but doesn't specify the thickness.

I may have to try making one of my own anyway, looking around it seems like many of the cheap scrapers only have 6" blades, which I could make from an 8" blank. I'll just have to see, Richard and Jeff have planted some seeds and I might have to try making some tools with bits in pipe handles/shafts.

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2009, 3:58 PM
Scott - just measured my 1 1/2" Benjamin's Best (PSI) heavy duty scraper and it is 3/8" thick.

Don Carter
01-09-2009, 4:54 PM
Scott:
I have made several of the Oland tools with metal lathe tool bits and they work very well. I have made some in galvanized pipes as well as bored into the end of round stock. The bits are held in place with set screws. I don't consider them scrapers though. I have some small scrapers made by different manufacturers but for the inside of bowls and large turnings, that large scraper from PSI is hard to beat for control and preventing catches. It is 3/8" thick. Just my take, ymmv.

All the best.

Don

Scott Conners
01-09-2009, 6:49 PM
Scott - just measured my 1 1/2" Benjamin's Best (PSI) heavy duty scraper and it is 3/8" thick.
Well that simplifies things, I don't think there's any way to beat $30 even home made.

Scott:
I have made several of the Oland tools with metal lathe tool bits and they work very well. I have made some in galvanized pipes as well as bored into the end of round stock. The bits are held in place with set screws. I don't consider them scrapers though. I have some small scrapers made by different manufacturers but for the inside of bowls and large turnings, that large scraper from PSI is hard to beat for control and preventing catches. It is 3/8" thick. Just my take, ymmv.

All the best.

Don

I think that some sort of oland tool might be in my future soon, I'm still working out what I think I need for hollowing to start. I do still need a strong small scraper for boxes and goblets, so I think I'm going to pick up one of the Henry Taylor extra heavy scrapers - unhandled they are only $27 for a 3/8" x 1/2" scraper that's 9" long. That extra length is something I wish for often.

Bob Hallowell
01-09-2009, 8:11 PM
$30 is hard to beat, here is a pick of my main scraper, it was made from a 1 1/4x1/2x7 inch hss tool bit. works great but I was also given the bit plus some others.

Bob

Allen Neighbors
01-09-2009, 8:49 PM
Scott, I haven't taken the time to read all the other posts, because I'm in a hurry.
Before I bought my Don Pencil rig, I used a sharpened washer, screwed to a flat on the end of a piece of hot-rolled steel. You have to sharpen pretty often, and it takes a little time to unscrew it, but it will work.

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 9:00 PM
John, I use a hack saw with a fine tooth blade. I clamp it in the vise and go slow. I have used a small grinder withvery thin 1/16" cut off wheels but I don't like the heat the it produces. So the hacksaw with a nice sharp blade works best. Make sure that the part that you are cutting is close to the vise or clamped to a table edge. If to far away it will vibrate and pinch and not cut very good. Make sure not to cut straight up and down as the teeth catch more often than at a longer angle. I have also taken old carbide teeth and welded them to a rod when I am cutting hard rubber bowling ball and will work good on soapstone, alabaster and other gritty stuff!

Hope it works for you!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2009, 9:10 PM
I have a 2 Henry Taylor scrapers also. Made my own handles too. The thing about all my home made ones is that I had the stuff laying around. The big one is great for getting deep in a tall vase or vessel, it can be adjusted out another 8" so it will be about 30" long! You would be amazed at what can be made from junk!

Scrapers need weight and handle length for control!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Scott here are the three I have.They are very good tools for the money.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCSIDE2.html

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html

Doug Goodman
02-03-2009, 10:55 PM
I am also thinking a great way to round out my scraper collection is by making them myself. I ordered 2 pieces of steel today, 18" long, 1 x 5/16, and 18" x 1 1/4 x 5/16. seemed plenty thick as my current scrapers are 1/4.
the steel was about $14 per length. the source below has an endless array O-1 steel was recommended.

http://www.amtektool.com/

http://amtektool.thomasnet.com/viewitems/steel-gage-stock/o-1-oil-hardened-tool-steel?&forward=1

Reed Gray
02-04-2009, 1:34 PM
Scott,
You mention a couple of times wanting extra length. I have the Artisan series scrapers from Craft Supplies, and they have been abused severely for over 10 years. I also have some of Doug Thompson's scrapers and prefer them. If you are looking to hang out over the tool rest, a 3/8 thick scraper is good for about 3 or so inches before it starts to chatter a bit. Maybe more if the tool is wider. Any farther than that, you need 1/2 inch thick, or a bit in a bigger diameter bar. Also, one formula for reaching out over the tool rest is about 6 inches of handle for every inch out over the tool rest.
robo hippy