PDA

View Full Version : I ran out of clamps last night.

David Rose
03-15-2003, 4:15 AM
No, I don't mean "you can't have enough clamps". I *really* ran out. Was dry fitting the end on a bench seat and realized I needed at least one more. Ok, so I haven't bought a Bessie for nearly a year, it was time. While at the borg groaning over the cost of two 50" Bessies I decided it was time to add a couple of pipe clamps for emergencies.

After discovering that tennons .520" long will not allow a proper draw up in .510" deep mortises things went better. Better fit with much less pressure! Yay!

But... you guessed it. I used all the clamps including the pipe clamps and could have used another one to tweek the corners just a hair. I should have taken a photo. Just how many clamps can you fit on one box? I suppose that depends on how many you have.

You can't have enough clamps!

David

Ken Wright
03-15-2003, 6:39 AM
AMEN amen. No matter how many. I use pipes almost exclusively because I'm too cheap to buy Bessies.

Jim Izat
03-15-2003, 7:58 AM
Having one too few clamps seems to happen less often to me (when I don't have enough to do what i want I just glue up four times instead of twice) as does not having enough of one particular size. Many have said over the years that the smaller Besseys are really nice and they are. I just wish a 24 cost half as much as a 50 (I know why they don't, I just wish they did). I'll never be able to make myself by a 12"!

Jim Izat

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-15-2003, 8:06 AM
I'm not sure the pipe vs Bessey issue has been beat to death here yet...so I have to start it. A Bessy clamp is good for when you need the reach of a deep head. I'm sure the design of these and the GS and Jorgensen Cabinet Masters <i>help</i> in achieving a flat panel glue-up, but I assure you a flat panel can be had without them, too....and for just a helluva lot less money.

I have two Besseys and six of the Jorgensen CMs that I specifically bought to use for gluing laminations where I need 'wide' pressure. I'll use them for small 'flat' glue-ups because they'll sit still on the table, but hand me the Jorgensen I-Bar clamps when there's a large panel to do...and there's nothing whatever wrong with a Pony pipe clamp or even one of the several 'knockoffs' out there.

I think Bessey hysteria is one of the several things that's <i>directly</i> realted to Internet hype. There are <i>hundreds</i> of new woodworkers out there who've never even <i>used</i> another clamp...simply because of what they've read on the forums. Used to be only about two people in the world who would pooh-pooh the K-Body (and I was one)...but read the replies carefully nowadays...more and more people are 'tempering' their remarks.

KC

David Rose
03-15-2003, 3:29 PM
about the hype over Bessies. That is what caused me to buy my first one. And yes, they are expensive. I share your agravation at the head not catching at just the wrong moment too. I just anticipate it and "lean the head" accordingly. I do like the flat bars over pipe though.

There are many ways to do the same thing in woodworking which is part of what can make it interesting or frustrating for a beginner. I glued up my first panel with a couple of boards and wedges. It was sort of like an improvised panel clamp assembly. It worked great.

David

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-15-2003, 8:43 PM
You know they have everything else, what do you think, 7-11's should stock Bessy's for those late night clamp runs!!

Take care,
Jim

Bart Leetch
03-15-2003, 9:19 PM
I don't pooh pooh Bessys either. But my bank account sure does.

I use 3/4" & 1/2" pipe clamps. Light duty bar clamps. Light duty rectangular aluminum bar clamps. C clamps.

John Miliunas
03-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Speaking of Bessys, anybody catch Norm's show a week ago, where he was making a wooden flag pole? I think he must've had about 30 or better 12" K-Bodies on that puppy!

Personally, I have 8 (I think) K-Bodies, and a number of "Quick Clamps", and a few pipe clamps, but the majority are el-cheapo bar clamps (HF quality). They all serve their purpose(s). I also have a whole slew of spring clamps, but recently, our own local "big box" (Menards) has been running specials on the Quick Clamp hand clamps. With arthritis getting the better part of both thumbs, these clamps are so much easier to use than the spring clamps and you can control the amount of pressure applied, too. Yes, I'd like to have more K-Bodies or pick up a few of the Jorgenson CM's, but one can usually make do with what one has and/or can afford. :cool:

Dale Thompson
03-15-2003, 10:41 PM
David,
I was in one of the large major home improvement stores a couple of weeks ago with my son, Kevin. As usual, I wandered over to the "clamp" section looking for a sale. There was an old guy, probably younger than I am, who was also looking.

My son said, "Dad, don't you have enough clamps?" Well, he's a woodworker too and should know better but, anyway, he said it. I said, "Kev, when you get to the point where you have enough clamps--you will be dead!!" The other old guy standing there just about split a gut laughing.

Even adult sons can learn a lesson now and then.

Dale T.

David Rose
03-15-2003, 10:55 PM
:D

John Miliunas
03-16-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Dale Thompson
David,
I was in one of the large major home improvement stores a couple of weeks ago with my son, Kevin. As usual, I wandered over to the "clamp" section looking for a sale. There was an old guy, probably younger than I am, who was also looking.

My son said, "Dad, don't you have enough clamps?" Well, he's a woodworker too and should know better but, anyway, he said it. I said, "Kev, when you get to the point where you have enough clamps--you will be dead!!" The other old guy standing there just about split a gut laughing.

Even adult sons can learn a lesson now and then.

Dale T.

No sons at this end. Wife, two daughters, two stepdaughters. Not a one of them knows squat about tools. I keep telling *all* of them: "If there's a gift-giving opportunity for the old man, you'll always be safe if you get him another cordless drill or clamps! :D :D :cool:

Gary Bindel
03-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Whenever there is a gift "receiving":D opportunity, I alway tell my wife, when in doubt, clamps are always a good idea. I'm finally getting through.

Lynn Sonier
03-18-2003, 4:29 PM
I have found some clamps (definitely not Bessies) on E-bay. Search for "clamps". They have some old and some non-brand name new, which I have purchased and which work well.