PDA

View Full Version : Shelf pins in 1/2 plywood?

Dan Karachio
01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as I am planning out a cabinet I was thinking shelf pins in 1/2 ply would result in the holes going through the plywood - right? I have a simple jig and one of those speedy drill bits for 1/4" shelf pins. I actually don't have any 1/2 ply in the house right now, but it sure looks like the depth is just over 1/2". Any wisdom or advice greatly appreciated.

Brian Peters
01-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't ever build a cabinet out of 1/2" ply, that's number one. Take it as you will. But it depends on the pins, are they spoon type or the bracket type? Depends on the brand, seen them 5/16-1/2" long

Bill Huber
01-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I have built 2 or 3 small shelves from 1/2 in ply and they work very well. These were small, 18 inches by 24 and they were for hanging on the wall. I used the bracket type from Rockler which have a 3/8 depth to them and they worked just fine.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=108&filter=shelf%20supports

Now if this is a large book type shelf I would not go with 1/2 on it I would go to 3/4.

Jamie Buxton
01-08-2009, 11:42 PM
You can use standard shelf pins in 1/2" plywood, but it is tight. I generally bore my shelf pin holes 3/8" deep. That seems to accomodate most pins. Your plywood is likely not a real half inch thick, but rather is a thirtysecond less or so. That leaves you about 3/32" between the bottom of the hole and the other face of the panel. You'll need a very trustworthy depth stop. I use a plunge router. It has a good depth stop. It also bores a flat-bottomed hole, which helps.

Joe Chritz
01-09-2009, 1:15 AM
I don't have any problem with 1/2 material for cabinets but now that they are about $3 difference in price I generally go with 3/4.

For doing shelf pins in 1/2 it works just fine but plan on using a good depth stop. If you use a drill a collar with a set screw would work but best is a simple jig and a plunge router with a downspiral bit.

Joe

Dewey Torres
01-09-2009, 1:30 AM
Dan,
If you must go with 1/2" thickness may I recommend shelf standards vs pins

http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=shelf+standards&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

They have them in different colors and such and they are far more adjustable than pins.

The main befit here is the depth needed is only 3/16" or can be surface mounted which doesn't even require a dado. These are not for everyone's tastes I will agree but for your purposes they should be considered.

Brian Peters
01-09-2009, 6:45 AM
Yikes Dewey, people still use those hideous shelf supports? :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-09-2009, 7:47 AM
All my upper cabinets are built with 1/2" ply...the shelf-pin holes only go in about 1/4" or maybe slightly more. They get bored with a plunge router using the NYW jig I built.

Mike Heidrick
01-09-2009, 8:05 AM
Someone gave Norm a Rockler Jig-It Shelf Pin drilling jig and Vix bit for the Greek Revival bookcase episode.

Dewey Torres
01-09-2009, 1:23 PM

Knocking my post huh?:)

He never said this was a kitchen cabinet or a cabinet he was building for a family heirloom... he just said cabinet which for all we know could be a shop cabinet.

I also took the time to point out that they weren’t for everyone’s taste (including yours obviously)but were what I thought to be considered for this application... what ever this cabinet may be:rolleyes:

Karl Brogger
01-09-2009, 8:32 PM

Shelf standards are, well, the standard in commercial still. For good reason, they're tough and can hold a hefty amount of weight. I hate them too, but they do have a purpose.

Jim Becker
01-09-2009, 8:59 PM
Someone gave Norm a Rockler Jig-It Shelf Pin drilling jig and Vix bit for the Greek Revival bookcase episode.

I had one of those and used it exactly once. Major tear-out city! That's when I decided to build the wood version of the MEG aluminum jig from the NYW two-show "Jigs" episode about a year or so ago. Major difference using the plunge router!

Bill Huber
01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I had one of those and used it exactly once. Major tear-out city! That's when I decided to build the wood version of the MEG aluminum jig from the NYW two-show "Jigs" episode about a year or so ago. Major difference using the plunge router!

I agree, I use the plunge router and it is the best, very nice clean holes.

A jig is not very hard to make and it only take a few min.

Russ Massery
01-10-2009, 12:36 AM
I just use a piece of peg board and 1/4" brad point bit with a drill stop. And I use these pins,http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=946

Dewey Torres
01-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Dan,
May I ask what type of cabinet you are building and your intentions for it?

Tom Klass
01-10-2009, 2:56 PM
Dan,
I make kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities with 1/2 in Baltic birch. I use the plastic shelf pin guide from Rockler with the bit for it. I also double face tape 1/8 Masonite to it so the drill bit doesn't go through the plywood plus it acts as a back up to help eliminate tear out. Good luck
Tom