PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Dremel Rotary Series?

travis howe
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a cordless Dremel that I really don't care for too much, it's one of the smaller ones that doesn't have much power now battery life.

So hoping to get one of the newer corded Dremels. Not really concerned about the price of these however, does anyone know where there is a comparison for the different series? Or is it simply the newer 400 / xpr has more power over previous models?

Thanks all!

rt

Rich Engelhardt
01-09-2009, 5:57 AM
Hello,

Here's the basic specs from Dremel's site:

100 series single speed 35k RPM 1.15 amps
200 series 2 speed 15k and 35k RPM 1.15 amps
300 series variable 5k to 35k RPM 1.15 amps
400 series variable 5k to 35k RPM 2.0 amps
Digital series variable 5k to 35k RPM 1.15 amp - same as the 300 but digital readout.
The power issue is only part of the story though. The 400 has attachments which only it can use, but, it will use all existing Dremel attachments.
If your going to limit yourself to only one, go with the 400 or a 300 if power or the 400's unique attachemnts aren't an issue.
I believe the planer and the jig saw are the two 400 attachements that come to mind.

(Don't discount using the planer attachment. One came with my 400 kit and I thought I'd never use it. Boy was I wrong! What a marvelous tool!)

I have one 400 and two 200's.

At some point - if the price is right - I'll add either another one or two, be it a 200, 300 or 400. I have the drill press, router table and plunge router attachments and would like to simply mount one in each attachement and leave it there.

Shop around for the best price on a "kit". That's the best way to get a good assortment of accessories as well as the basic tool plus a decent carry case.

HTH.

Don Bullock
01-09-2009, 9:36 AM
Great question and super response. Thanks.:D

Mike Henderson
01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your detailed reply, Rich. I have a 400 and am interested in your comment that you find the planer attachment very useful. What do you use it for? Could it be used to trim the face of a tight tenon, for example? Or is the cutting length too short?

But generally, what uses do you put it to in the shop?

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi Mike,
I used mine the first time to plane a little bit off a tight fitting door.
I could have hit the door with a sander, but since I was there w/the Dremel, and the sander was at home, I figured I'd give it a go.

The darned little thing work great!

As for uses, anywhere a little bit of material needs removed and a ~ 2" long spriral bit is appropriate & you want a sharper cleaner edge than a sander will give.

IIRC, the last time I used it was to even out the edge on two pieces of 3/4" melamine I'd super glued together for the fence on my drill press.
It worked just like a little mini jointer - sorta.
All I know is that it left a nice ead flat true edge that easily passed the "light test" when I laid it on the cast iron TS.

I don't think it would work on a tenon though since there's no adjusting the amount of material it removes. That's fixed by the way the spiral bit fits into the attachement to about 1/32" plus the width is a bit narrow.

It would probably work fine though to trim down a slightly over length tenon.

Dewey Torres
01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Way to go Travis... I think I might know why you are in the market for this. Looking forward to your posts!;)

travis howe
01-15-2009, 7:36 PM
You read that one right! Dremel 400 and plunge router in hand.;)

yes!

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 7:40 PM
You read that one right! Dremel 400 and plunge router in hand.;)

yes!

Did you also pick up some bits? You got a better model than mine!

travis howe
01-15-2009, 8:16 PM
Yeah...something called a 1/16: Carbide Grout Removal Bit x 3;)

Several others w/ the kit.

Turquoise and other goodies on the way...

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 8:20 PM
Yeah...something called a 1/16: Carbide Grout Removal Bit x 3;)

Several others w/ the kit.

Turquoise and other goodies on the way...

looking forward to you work Travis. Next time I am up your way...Creeker visit???

travis howe
01-15-2009, 8:39 PM
Creeker visit would be cool. I wished there was more time in the day so I could get more done!