PDA

View Full Version : The new Stanley planes

Ralph Wiggum
01-08-2009, 9:56 PM
Has anyone heard are the new Stanley premium planes out yet? Who will be carring them?

Richard Magbanua
01-09-2009, 5:55 AM
Last I heard they were gonna be out Jan-Feb of this year. "The Schwarz" seems to have the only inside track. Here is the last post about them...

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/First+Photos+Of+The+New+Stanley+Planes.aspx

I'm betting on at least Rockler and Woodcraft carrying them. We'll see.

Jim Tolpin
01-12-2009, 12:03 AM
('m wondering why Stanley is jumping on board the premium hand tool market wagon at this time? My best guess is that they are seeing the enormous success of Lee Valley and Lie-Nielson, and that the demographics of those of us that buy these tools aren't going to be deterred by their undoubtedly high priceyness. I'm just glad that Mr. Stanley's first name wasn't Lee.

John Schreiber
01-12-2009, 12:46 AM
. . . My best guess is that they are seeing the enormous success of Lee Valley and Lie-Nielson, . . .
I would guess that by Stanley standards, the whole of Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen wouldn't add up to a drop in their bucket. My guess (worth what you pay for it) is that they feel like this will add to the perception of quality for the Stanley name. If they do it well, they could also make some money at it, but I think it's mostly a matter of trying to recover some of their lost pride.

It must hurt for them to know that their best products were produced more than 60 years ago.

Ben Davis
01-12-2009, 8:33 AM
I would guess that by Stanley standards, the whole of Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen wouldn't add up to a drop in their bucket. My guess (worth what you pay for it) is that they feel like this will add to the perception of quality for the Stanley name. If they do it well, they could also make some money at it, but I think it's mostly a matter of trying to recover some of their lost pride.

It must hurt for them to know that their best products were produced more than 60 years ago.
Oh come now. I have a few Stanley screwdrivers that still work and a decent 16' tape measure (before this foolish "FatMax" line that makes everything too bulky). I think I have a newer Stanley cat paw as well.