PDA

View Full Version : How should I dry cut burl?

Jon Cooper
01-08-2009, 9:07 PM
I have many cherry burls that have been recently cut. I am looking into cutting some of the smaller ones into blocks (probly no thicker than 4 inches once cut) and I am going to get the larger ones cut into 8/4 or 10/4 slabs. I was going to buy some anchorseal but am on the fence since covering cut burl with it will hinder the drying process rather than slow it down (right?):confused:. Since burl doesnt really have end grain, i am trying to think of the best method of drying these cust blocks or slabs so they don't crack or check on me. I am hoping that there is a method i can use that won't require me to let the whole burls dry on their own for a while.
If I do seal the slabs, what should I seal them with so they dry without cracking and how long will such a process take. I was thinking about wax (like when you buy blocks at woodcraft). Anybody who has any knowledge of these processes i appreciate your help. Thanks!

Ed Nelson978
01-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a piece of cherry burl that a friend gave me. I quartered it and painted the exposed sides with latex. It may have been pretty dry to begin with, but I sliced some veneer from it and a couple pen blanks a few months after I painted it and had no problems. I can't say if this was the proper way to do it, but it worked for me!