PDA

View Full Version : Assembly Table Size

Gary Lange
01-08-2009, 7:45 PM
I am giving some thought to an Assembly Table for the shop. Do you think that a Table that is 3' X 5' would be a good size for and 11' X 18' shop?

Dewey Torres
01-08-2009, 8:01 PM
Gary,
3x5 is a great size for an assembly table but not for a shop your size. You are bound to gain more stationary tools. My shop is bigger than yours at 20' x 20' and I don't have room for an assembly table that size, however my bench is 24" by 72" and serves double duty with the added step of protecting the top.

Peter Quinn
01-08-2009, 9:05 PM
Mine is 4'X5' but my shop is 20'X70'. Its a nice size for working and handles most pieces. If space is tight, something more flexible might be in order. A recent FWW had plans for a knock down bench that involves a couple of saw horses and a couple of torsion box tops, very interesting idea and good execution.

At work we have a half dozen low height saw horses that make quick assembly tables which can be sized to the project at hand, using a few jointed pieces of 8/4 stock as stretchers and a sheet of MDF for a top. Very effective assembly bench which can be built and broken down quickly. These make great supplemental tables to our regular benches.

I also have a couple of hollow core doors that I use as temporary assembly tables which can even be set up on job sites but take up very little space when not needed and can be stored against a wall in the shop. Two of these gives me a 64"X80" assembly table on the fly!

Jim Becker
01-08-2009, 9:44 PM
If it were a "stationary" structure, that would likely be an uncomfortable size for your shop space. If it were knock down (including the ability to do different heights based on the need of the project) it may be just fine.

Joe Chritz
01-09-2009, 1:24 AM
That is about the size of the one I have on wheels. It is a handy size but I am constantly moving it out of the way or stacking stuff on it.

I end up using the 4x5 outfeed table which is a torsion box also for assembly a lot. The height is inconvenient sometimes but it is handy to have it serve dual purpose.

Joe

David Giles
01-09-2009, 9:15 AM
My shop is about that size. The roll around assembly table was sized at 24" high and narrow enough to fit through any shop walkway (32"). The length should support a Bessey clamp when full open. It doesn't really matter if the project overhangs the table ends. In fact, that is often an advantage.

And I built mine to store outside when not in use and maintain a dead flat surface.

Gary Lange
01-09-2009, 4:46 PM
I have an magazine that has a folding table in it that may work for this as it looks sturdy as well. It has piano hinges at all four corners and at the center of both ends so I could lift and support the top then fold the base up and then drop the table down and store it against the wall. Need to kick this idea around some.