PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Carving a Complex Shell

Mike Henderson
01-08-2009, 7:08 PM
I went ahead and did a tutorial on how to carve a complex shell, although I expect there's not a lot of interest in it. Instead of putting it up here and on my web site, I only put it on my web site (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/ComplexShell.htm).

I would not recommend attempting this shell until you're able to carve the simple shell and the second shell to your satisfaction. While it may not look a lot harder, there's a number of techniques which a beginner will have trouble with. Like many things, you need to progress from simpler things to more complex things.

Good luck!

Mike

John Timberlake
01-08-2009, 7:23 PM
Mike,

Thanks for all the tutorials. I have carved this shell, but always from a pattern. I really liked reading how you lay it out.

Tony Joyce
01-08-2009, 8:30 PM
Mike,
I scanned your tutorial, I like what I saw and will go back & read it closer later.
I'm in the process of buying a few chisels to do simple carving like the shells. I couldn't help but notice you have three different brands.

One question, How do you compare the Ashley Illes chisels to the Pfeil? Overall size? Weight? I thought I wanted the AI chisels because I liked the bench chisels so well, but after buying a couple of the carving chisels and holding them in my hands they seem bulker than the Pfeil.

Thanks, Tony Joyce

Howie French
01-08-2009, 8:51 PM
Thanks for posting this Mike, while I haven't actively particpated yet, I am keeping track of these tutorials. As I start to accumulate some carving tools, I will begin with your earlier tutorials then progress to this shell.

Howie

Mike Henderson
01-08-2009, 8:54 PM
Mike,
I scanned your tutorial, I like what I saw and will go back & read it closer later.
I'm in the process of buying a few chisels to do simple carving like the shells. I couldn't help but notice you have three different brands.

One question, How do you compare the Ashley Illes chisels to the Pfeil? Overall size? Weight? I thought I wanted the AI chisels because I liked the bench chisels so well, but after buying a couple of the carving chisels and holding them in my hands they seem bulker than the Pfeil.

Thanks, Tony Joyce
Like many carvers, I got my carving tools a few at a time - and bought them at sales - so they're different brands. There's a few problems in doing that, because the sweeps are different between different brands. Ideally, it'd be nice to have all one brand.

Having said that, you should choose the tools that feel best to you, and that you have a source for. Most of my carving tools are Pfeil (Swiss made) because they're readily available around here and I like the tools. While this is minor, I especially like the non-round handles on the Pfeil. They've saved me a few times when I was carving on a surface that was not flat and I set my tool down on that surface. A round handle would have rolled off.

The "quality" of the steel in all the major brands is about the same so don't let anyone tell you that xyz tool holds an edge better than abc tool. The only difference I can tell between brands is the handle, and for one or two brands, the steel is a bit thicker (which is not necessarily good - it makes sharpening a bit more difficult).

Based strictly on my preferences, I'd recommend the Pfeil.

Mike

Bob Hovde
01-13-2009, 8:31 PM
Mike,

Very good tutorials. Even someone from the turning forum can understand them!

Bob

Robert Rozaieski
01-13-2009, 8:55 PM
Thanks Mike! I'll be checking this one out for sure as soon as I acquire a few more gouges as I know this one requires more.

Mike Henderson
01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Just a comment - if you have Adobe Acrobat, you can make a PDF from a web site. So you could point Acrobat at the tutorial on my web site and Acrobat will convert it to a PDF. If you don't have Acrobat, contact me and I'll make a PDF of the tutorial and send it to you. Note that I'll need your e-mail address - I can't send a file through the PM system.

Mike

george wilson
02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Very nice work,Mike. I recommend the Pfiel carving tools over all other brands. Being a tool pig,I have about 350 of all kinds,many 19th.C.,some 18th.C., a good number of Pfiels. Some of my 19th.C. Addis carving tools are of differing hardness. One set of 12 I bought were so hard,they wouldn't hold an edge. When carbon steel is left too hard,the micro edge is brittle,and breaks off,making the edge seem dull,but not from wearing off smoothly. I had to draw the temper down to a dark straw,then they were much better. PLEASE DON"T TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IS WRONG,and have a good idea what steel you are dealing with. Others were too soft. The Pfiels have been consistent. When I bought my first set of 12 in 1965,they were $40.00 !!!

I also like the care the Pfiel chisels have in the polish of their blades. For a time they went to using what looked like dirty motor oil on their handles,a few years ago. I think they may have stopped that,now,or maybe I was looking at old stock ones.