PDA

View Full Version : Pen Blank Giveaway

Jon Farley
01-08-2009, 4:34 PM
Today I was cutting up a hophornbeam burl that I had retrieved from our woods into a few pepper mill and bottle stopper blanks. It has some beautiful contrasting figure. I had a few scraps left over and it seemed like a shame to toss them so I cut them into some pen blanks, sealed them and will mail them out to the first Creeker that wants them (I'm not a pen turner). Just send me a PM - I'll pay for postage. There are four of them and they are 3/4" square by about 6" long.

Hophornbeam is one of the species that many refer to as "ironwood."

Jon

Gordon Thompson
01-08-2009, 4:37 PM
pm sent :)

Jon Farley
01-08-2009, 4:54 PM
Blanks have been claimed. I'm gald to see them going to a good home.

Jon

Gordon Thompson
01-08-2009, 5:07 PM
Thank you Jon!

Jon Lanier
01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
4:34 Post
4:37 Pm sent

Stink not that I had a shot at that... but that was quick.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Gee, if there were forty of them and only one each per reply, they would still likely be gone by now.

It is the thought that counts though...

jim

Terry Quiram
01-09-2009, 9:10 AM
I turn a fair amount of Hornbeam but have never come across a burl. I am eagerly waiting to see the finished product.

James Roberts
01-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Gordon better post some pics!:D

Gordon Thompson
01-10-2009, 7:52 AM
Gordon better post some pics!:D

:D I promise!!!

Gordon Thompson
01-27-2009, 5:43 PM
The first pen I made from Jon's blanks. Thanks again Jon!!

Charles Bishop
01-27-2009, 6:02 PM
That is an absolutely gorjus (close enough:p) pen. What kind of finish did you use? A large pen really shows off a beautiful piece of wood like this. Outstanding job!

Charles

Gordon Thompson
01-27-2009, 6:32 PM
That is an absolutely gorjus (close enough:p) pen. What kind of finish did you use? A large pen really shows off a beautiful piece of wood like this. Outstanding job!

Charles

Thank you! :) Boiled Linseed Oil and CA glue.

Jim Kountz
01-27-2009, 8:57 PM
Man oh man now this is just beautiful!! What a neat concept too, wood passing from creeker to creeker and then the end result, did I mention I love this place!!

Jon Farley
01-29-2009, 7:06 AM
Wow Gordon, that looks great. Glad you were able to put it to good use.

Jon

George Guadiane
01-29-2009, 9:19 AM
Today I was cutting up a hophornbeam burl that I had retrieved from our woods into a few pepper mill and bottle stopper blanks. It has some beautiful contrasting figure. I had a few scraps left over and it seemed like a shame to toss them so I cut them into some pen blanks, sealed them and will mail them out to the first Creeker that wants them (I'm not a pen turner). Just send me a PM - I'll pay for postage. There are four of them and they are 3/4" square by about 6" long.

Hophornbeam is one of the species that many refer to as "ironwood."

Jon
What a generous thing to do!
I would love to see a picture of what you do with YOUR part too (NICE pen).
I had the good fortune to get a hophornbeam burl a while ago...
I turned a pretty nice bark edge bowl out of it.
My father in law got remarried, his wife to be, on a visit to our home picked it up and carried it around for quite a while...
It became a wedding gift.
I lost my hard drive a while ago (no backup) so I don't have a picture at the moment, but as the pin photo shows, it's beautiful wood. I think it turns nicely too!

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2009, 9:36 AM
That is a beauty Gordon. Wood is beautiful.

Paul Douglass
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Really nice job on the pen. That is really neat wood. Let's see more..

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Jon - glad to see you found someone who could really showcase the leftover pieces of burl! It really is some beautiful wood!

Gordon - that is an amazing pen! Very rich - very classy! I'll have to keep ironwood burl in mind!

Steve Mawson
01-29-2009, 6:43 PM
What a nice thing to do with a great piece of wood. Great pen!!

Jeff Nicol
01-29-2009, 6:44 PM
Hey all my cousin is having a timber sale and the forester said he needs to remove all the ironwood (hornbeam) from his property because it is an invasive weed tree. I will have to go look around and see what I can find. Some of the trees are 10" at the base so maybe some thing good there. I know it makes nice mallets and things, but sparks sometimes come off the chainsaw when cutting it as it is very hard! Maybe I will have some to get rid of too!

Jeff

Jon Farley
01-29-2009, 9:44 PM
Jeff, just FYI, the burl used for Gordon's pen cam from a Hophornbeam tree, which is quite different from a hornbeam, though both species are given the nickname "ironwood" by many folks.

Jon