PDA

View Full Version : Small Box

Jimmy Williams
01-08-2009, 3:26 PM
I wasn't going to post pictures of this as it is not really up to the quality of projects that you guys are putting out and, well...it is painted. However, another woodworker on here made a jewelry box
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1012606
similar to this so I thought I would share another project out of crown moulding.

I made several of these as gifts this Christmas out of 3 5/8" poplar crown moulding. Each box was 4 inches square and topped with a drawer pull. The trickiest part was determining what the angles were for making the top so that it would sit "into" the box but still be flush on the outside.

They seemed to be a hit with those that received them and those that didn't were upset. I guess I have to start a little earlier next year.

Dewey Torres
01-08-2009, 3:31 PM
Jimmy,
That was an interesting idea and I bet it came out real cheap. Never too early to start xmas presents for next year.

Lee Schierer
01-08-2009, 4:12 PM
I'll have to remember your small lidded box idea. I've ended up with some short pieces of crown molding from cut offs for the boxes I've made.

Roger Warford
01-08-2009, 5:14 PM
That looks great Jimmy! Are those feet cut from the molding as well? Looks like maybe it was cut, flipped, and flattened?

Duncan Potter
01-08-2009, 6:26 PM
I really like it. Good job. Lots of imagination.

Jimmy Williams
01-08-2009, 7:57 PM
That looks great Jimmy! Are those feet cut from the molding as well? Looks like maybe it was cut, flipped, and flattened?

The feet are cut from the moulding. I used a circle template to roughly lay out the arc so that it would fit in the bottom profile and stop at the highest point of the profile. I used the bandsaw to cut close to the line and then cleaned it up with a drum sander in the drill press.

Like Lee's jewelry box, I just needed a table saw, bandsaw and drill press.

Jimmy Williams
01-08-2009, 7:59 PM
Jimmy,
That was an interesting idea and I bet it came out real cheap. Never too early to start xmas presents for next year.

I started with a 6' piece of poplar crown moulding at about $1 a foot and was able to get 3 boxes out of it. I had the paint and drawer pulls from another project so it came out very cheap.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jim Becker
01-08-2009, 9:21 PM
Jimmy, that's absolutely great to post here! It's a fine project and a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Roy Wall
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Jimmy, that's absolutely great to post here! It's a fine project and a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

I'll second that one........very nice Jimmy!!

gary Zimmel
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Nice economical project that looks great.

Great job Jimmy. Thanks for the post

John Thompson
01-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Excellent idea and came out nice. Sure would save a lot of cove cutting doing what you did.

Sarge..

mike holden
01-09-2009, 9:18 AM
Little boxes fascinate *EVERYONE*!
Good job on yours, and YES it is well worth posting!
Hope to see more,
Mike

Jason Tuinstra
01-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey, that's a great little box. Very cool! I'm glad you posted it.