PDA

View Full Version : Why resize first ?

Scott Donley
01-08-2009, 2:59 PM
Is there a reason to not let the vb software do the pic resizing when uploading a pic ? There are currently 2 threads advising people to resize before uploading. Am I missing something ?

AL Ursich
01-08-2009, 3:22 PM
If it is anything like Laser Engraving Photo Grav software, it comes down to how expanding the image causes lines in the finished artwork.

Don't know what vb is....

AL

Dewey Torres
01-08-2009, 3:26 PM
Don't know what vb is....

VB= Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3

Mack Cameron
01-08-2009, 3:37 PM
Is there a reason to not let the vb software do the pic resizing when uploading a pic ? There are currently 2 threads advising people to resize before uploading. Am I missing something ?Hi Scott; From what little experience I have, I do resize first, and when I do I find the picture loads somewhat quicker than if I let the forum resize!

Randy Klein
01-08-2009, 3:39 PM
The VB software didn't always automatically resize. That's a recent addition that not everyone knows about. So older threads will still say to resize and some newer threads may say it as well.

But upload times are faster if you resize first, but I'm lazy and don't do that.

Scott Donley
01-08-2009, 3:56 PM
The VB software didn't always automatically resize. That's a recent addition that not everyone knows about. So older threads will still say to resize and some newer threads may say it as well.

That's really the reason for this thread. I am also lazy and unless you have dialup the time it takes to resize before uploading is still more than letting the VB software do it. I did wonder if there was any difference other than that.

Mitchell Andrus
01-08-2009, 4:28 PM
Resize can mean two different things. The size of the photo and the size of the file. I always File>Export and compress the file to make it 'smaller', even if it's still 500 pixels square. sometimes a file can loose 70% of it's size with little loss of image quality.

Scott Donley
01-08-2009, 4:55 PM
Resize can mean two different things. The size of the photo and the size of the file. I always File>Export and compress the file to make it 'smaller', even if it's still 500 pixels square. sometimes a file can loose 70% of it's size with little loss of image quality.I understand that, but if I upload a 1 meg file to SMC, what is the difference between doing that or compressing first, it still ends up as about 100 kb ?

Jim Becker
01-08-2009, 9:06 PM
One really good reason to resize first is that you will also be able to control image clarity. Merely compressing/resizing as autoformatters do will also cause lose of detail. I always work on adjusting sharpness after reducing my photos for web display and it does make a difference with many pictures. Note I resize for pixel size first, then retouch including adjusting sharpness, and then save with only enough compression to get the file size reasonable.

Doug Shepard
01-08-2009, 9:22 PM
Ditto what Jim said. Even the AutoEnhance button in most pic editing software will look beter if done after resizing than before. Plus it's a good excuse to crop out portions of the pic that are a waste of pixels anyway.

Mitchell Andrus
01-08-2009, 9:49 PM
Control over your image.

Keith Outten
01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Another good reason to resize your own pictures...if a lot of people are uploading one meg files things could slow down to a crawl here. Don't forget you are often sharing this web site with up to 700 people simultaneously. Having the SawMIll Creek server process your pictures takes a lot of clock cycles as well as bandwidth, do your friends a favor and resize your pictures before you upload them.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-08-2009, 10:14 PM
And I though this was about reloading

Scott Donley
01-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Keith for the info, I didn't know bandwith or prossessor ability was a problem. Feel free to delete this thread if you would rather not all to know about this feature in the Vb sofware. Scott

Joe Chritz
01-09-2009, 1:21 AM
Nearly all my pics are taken in the top quality the camera offers. The last two times I tried to use the auto it took forever and still didn't upload. I went to corel and resampled the photo close to the 107KB and it uploaded right away.

That and I didn't know about it until just recently either. :o

Joe

Sonny Edmonds
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I will usually save pictures as "web ready" in a 640x480p .jpg format.
.jpg (J-Peg) has been the standard for emailing and web sites for about 10-12 years or longer.
Since I put my pictures on my own site, then link them to posts on the web, it saves server space for the web sites, like here. ;)
I also make my own web pages and link thumbnails to larger images for whoever might be interested in the page.

I use Microsoft Picture It! 2000. It allows me to do a lot with my pictures without the hassels I have had with other programs. And I've used Picture It! software for about 10 years now (Picture It! back in the late 1990's)

YMMV

Thomas Bank
01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
On my Mac, I use ImageSmith - http://www.koingosw.com/products/imagesmith.php - it is drag and drop image resizing so you can set what size you want and then drop a whole group of image files onto it.

At the office on the PC I use ImageResizer from the MS PowerToys collection - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx - which is a "right click menu" add-on that will change an image file to one of four pre-set sizes.

Both of these are quick enough that it is easier to resize first and then upload.

Doug Shepard
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
At the office on the PC I use ImageResizer from the MS PowerToys collection -

I am totally bumming and missing Resizer. The hard drive on my old laptop running XP died and I got a new laptop Christmas Eve that has Vista installed. Vista refuses to let Resizer install. Most of the other Power toys just go through annoying warning messages and workarounds but eventually you can get them installed and they still work fine. Resizer seems to be on Vista's hit-list though. Wish they'd get busy and get a version that will work on Vista.:(

Myk Rian
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Vista is getting a bad reputation as did Windows-ME. Microsoft is working on a new OS because corporations are staying away from Vista like the plague.

Dennis Peacock
01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Man....y'all already got all the good answers posted. Oh well, I guess I need to be a little faster next time. :D

Chris Padilla
01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Man....y'all already got all the good answers posted. Oh well, I guess I need to be a little faster next time. :D

Yeah!! Faster... ;)

Lee Schierer
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Another good reason to resize your own pictures...if a lot of people are uploading one meg files things could slow down to a crawl here. Don't forget you are often sharing this web site with up to 700 people simultaneously. Having the SawMIll Creek server process your pictures takes a lot of clock cycles as well as bandwidth, do your friends a favor and resize your pictures before you upload them.

Question regarding the VB resizer. When I recently uploaded the photos for my jewelry box thread, I resized them myself and uploaded them. The software made them even smaller, so I went back and uploaded larger images so they were larger. If you upload a 100 K file should the software always resize it? It appears to compress them by about 2/3.

Myk Rian
01-09-2009, 1:22 PM
Here's a free resizer that works with Vista.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

Thomas Bank
01-09-2009, 1:45 PM
From some of the IT forums, the lack of PowerToys in Vista is a major complaint at times - and Resizer seems to be one of the more requested (along with TweakUI).

Jim Becker
01-09-2009, 8:21 PM
Since I put my pictures on my own site, then link them to posts on the web, it saves server space for the web sites, like here

Ya, but if you inadvertently lose/move/change that remote site storing your photos, then SMC loses valuable content. That's why we "prefer" that photos be uploaded directly to the SMC server so that they stay with the content into the future for others to enjoy and learn from. Oh, and some folks who access SMC from work may not be able to view your pictures then, too, since third-party references are more and more often blocked by firewalls for security reasons.

I'm not saying you "shouldn't" link to photos on your site, but am just explaining why we like them housed here. And admittedly, I do link to some photos myself, although I keep that to off-topic things. Pictures in threads about woodworking I try to keep on the SMC server for archival purposes.

Scott Donley
01-10-2009, 5:25 PM
Ya, but if you inadvertently lose/move/change that remote site storing your photos, then SMC loses valuable content. That's why we "prefer" that photos be uploaded directly to the SMC server so that they stay with the content into the future for others to enjoy and learn from. Oh, and some folks who access SMC from work may not be able to view your pictures then, too, since third-party references are more and more often blocked by firewalls for security reasons.

I'm not saying you "shouldn't" link to photos on your site, but am just explaining why we like them housed here. And admittedly, I do link to some photos myself, although I keep that to off-topic things. Pictures in threads about woodworking I try to keep on the SMC server for archival purposes.
Would not linking to a photo that is larger than the 100kb also use up bandwidth as much as uploading the file once to let vb resize ? Every time the thread was opened it would be a new download, to let vb do it, it is a one time upload. ?

Jim Becker
01-10-2009, 7:30 PM
Scott, linking to a large file would not affect the bandwidth at SMC as those linked resources are transported and loaded independently to your browser. They "are" more efficient from an SMC server standpoint in that respect since the server doesn't see them. It's your browser that's "asking" for the picture, not the server. But as I indicated, they place valuable and useful content at risk to future community members.