PDA

View Full Version : Painting kitchen cart?

Al Willits
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Don't have a spray booth set up or my guns working, so spraying is out.
I am making a kitchen cart for us and the wife wants it painted, its partially plywood and regular wood (oak and pine) so chances are I'll be using a brush or spray cans.

Any suggestions for a paint and primer (thinking Kiltz maybe for primer?)
Need something that will take the cleaning and spills that come with a kitchen cart.

tia

Al

Steve Schoene
01-08-2009, 1:49 PM
Prime with BIN--shellac based-- two coats and then sand smooth. Paint with an oil based enamel such as Sherwin Williams Pro Classic or Benjamin Moore Accolade.

You may need to fill the pores of the oak to get it to match with the pine, and plywood (depending on what kind of plywood you are using.) Perparation of the surface as every bit as important for items to be painted as those that will have a clear finish.

Al Willits
01-08-2009, 2:16 PM
What is BIN and is it a filler?
Can I get it at my friendly Sherwin Williams dealer?
Thanks for the info, going to get it right after work and unfortnately to busy to do much of a search.

Al

Prashun Patel
01-08-2009, 3:22 PM
If yr gonna fill the pores, you might consider diluted wood filler. It's cheaper than grain filler, and it's opacity will not be an issue under paint.

I've had passable results with a foam roller and multiple thin coats.

Steve Schoene
01-08-2009, 3:30 PM
BIN is a Zinnser product that is primarily a primer. Being shellac based--with pigment--it does a very good job of blocking resins from pine. I don't know about Sherwin Williams, but I am pretty sure it is carried by the borg and by many other hardware and paint stores.

Al Willits
01-08-2009, 4:08 PM
Ok looks like the BIN will do for a base/primer, borg for that, then off to SW or a Benjamin moore dealer, thanks much.

Al

Al Willits
01-09-2009, 10:26 AM
[quote=Steve Schoene;1013441]Prime with BIN--shellac based-- two coats and then sand smooth. Paint with an oil based enamel such as Sherwin Williams Pro Classic or Benjamin Moore Accolade.

Ah, can't find BM Accolade, seems its made by Pratt and Lambert, is the Aura what you meant??

At over $50 a gallon bit spendy for a kitchen cart...:D

Al

editr...never mind, wife found a color in SW that she likes...thanks all