PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Riser block help.

Joe Von Kaenel
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Hello,

Last evening I added a Grizzly Riser block set to my RIDGID bandsaw. The G0580 and RIDGID are basically the same saw branded differently. The reason I chose the Grizzly Riser block is it was $59 and the RIDGID kit is $135. Several SMC people have used the Grizzly.
My question is regarding the Guidepost. The groove in the guidepost is a little rougher than the original guidepost. It does move up an down, just not as smoothly. Both saws use a ball bearing on top of a spring held in place by a set screw and above this the knob to tighten against the guidepost. I was afraid to sand the groove, not wanting an uneven surface, flat spots and rust. Can I use a little lithium grease in the groove. AS long as the guidepost and blade are parallel to each other and 90° to the table is this ok? Thanks

Joe

Mike Lipke
01-08-2009, 8:10 PM
I can't imagine how a little emery cloth, compressed air and a thin layer of lubricant could do anything but improve things.

Some might even call it maintenance!!

Paul Ryan
01-08-2009, 8:17 PM
On sunday I installed a grizzly riser into my G0555. The new guide post didn't seem to slide very smoothly at all either. I sprayed it down with some lube and it moves great now. I say go for it. A light cleaning with emery cloth wont hurt, you would have to sand the heck out of it to make it spin so I wouldn't worry.

Joe Von Kaenel
01-09-2009, 9:48 AM
Thanks for your help gentlemen. Have a good weekend

Joe