PDA

View Full Version : Large Sign

Michael Bareno
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a customer for which I have done a large amount of 6x18" signs on Rowmark Textures material for a local hotel. Now, the customer wants me to make 3 larger signs, like 24x48" (if I do it proportional to the smaller signs, it would be 16x48").

My problem is that there is no way I can fit that size material in my Mini18. I figured that if I removed the front and did the top half then bottom half at most I could do 18x24". I could have my plastic supplier (JDS) do the engraving, but I have not yet asked for a quote, however i would think this would be quite expensive. Of course, I could have other engravers do this, but i'm pretty sure none on the island could do better.

Do you fellow creekers have any suggestions on what to do? Should I pass on these large signs?

Thanks!

Mike Null
01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Michael

How about doing the sign in segments and glueing or taping them to a backboard?

Mike Mackenzie
01-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I agree with Mike do them in 12x24 sections because it is mostly text it should not be a problem breaking the sign up into segments.

Keith Outten
01-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I did something like this a few years ago. I fabricated a large sign and cut out two windows. I broke the sign up into two smaller signs, engraved them, and inserted them into the windows much like a picture frame.

Mark Winlund
01-08-2009, 2:02 PM
Simple... farm it out. Lots of vinyl printers out there, that will print it on vinyl for $5 to $10 per square foot. Apply it to a piece of sintra and there you go.

Mark

Michael Bareno
01-08-2009, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will compare the cost of doing it in pieces (engraved) and doing this with vinyl. We have gotten much business from this client lately and would hate having to send them somewhere else for this.

Maybe we should be thinking about adding a vinyl printer/cutter in the near future? Currently we are pondering whether we should invest in a second/backup laser, since any breakdown where parts are needed could take a week to get here, even with courier service (mostly due to customs).

Thanks again!

Scott Shepherd
01-08-2009, 4:20 PM
You wouldn't want to vinyl cut those with a plotter. More so a print job than anything else. Just partner with a local printer who can print vinyl (who, if he's smart, will send you loads of business that he can't do), and you'll be set.

He can probably laminate it and apply it to a substrate as well. The customer will never know who printed it unless you tell them you didn't do it.

Joe Pelonio
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
You wouldn't want to vinyl cut those with a plotter. More so a print job than anything else. Just partner with a local printer who can print vinyl (who, if he's smart, will send you loads of business that he can't do), and you'll be set.

He can probably laminate it and apply it to a substrate as well. The customer will never know who printed it unless you tell them you didn't do it.
I agree, this is an application for a large format printer. It would be printed on white vinyl then applied to sintra. You may pay $8-10 SF for the print. Then buy the sintra and apply it.

I personally will not do cut vinyl on anything with that much text under about 3/8" letters, it's a PIA and letters thst small are too easily scratched off.

Dan Hintz
01-09-2009, 8:51 AM
And just so there's no mistakes... don't cut the Sintra with the laser as it's a PVC material.

Mike Hood
01-10-2009, 9:32 PM
I've done larger signs like that.

Here's the easiest method I found:

Apply roll vinyl to substrate (lightly).
Load into laser through pass-through doors.
Kiss-cut the lettering (takes no time)
Weed the excess and then permanently affix with a brayer or squeegee.
viola!

I know not everyone has pass-through doors, but it allows me infinite width and a sign height of up to 38".