PDA

View Full Version : Coloring glass

Ed Harrall
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I am an teacher that has been asked to laser engrave the prom glasses for the high school this year. One of the question asked was if the engraving could be colored. I was not sure so I am asking if anyone has done this. If so how is it done and where to get the dye from.
Thanks
Ed

Tim Bateson
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
You can color fill after engraving - looks great.

Frank Corker
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Ed it is possible to paint an engraved piece of glass using special paint which can be purchased from an art/craft shop. How good they will look is another question.

James Aldrich
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Cermark has a material for etching glass with color. I have not tried it to see the results.

http://www.ferro.com/Our+Products/Glass/Products+and+Markets/CerMark/Materials/Laser+Marking+on+Glass.htm

Jim

Ray Uebner
01-08-2009, 1:33 PM
You can use Rub n Buff to be found at most craft stores, like Michaels, etc. I use it all the time and it works great. It comes in about 20 different colors. All you do in apply it to the class using a paper towel, make sure you fill the engraved part well, then rub off the excess, your done.

Ed Harrall
01-08-2009, 2:29 PM
Thanks I will try the rub and buff. I looked at the cemark stuff but I have a co2 laser and it will not work with that
Ed

Ray Uebner
01-08-2009, 2:43 PM
Glad I was able to give back for all I have received from this forum. I am sure you will like the end result.

Stephen Beckham
01-08-2009, 7:56 PM
Well, want to cheat a bit? You'll have to honest with them that it won't last long at all, but dry erase markers do a great job to fill on glass or ceramic (mostly used as displays). It will wash out after two to three washes, but for the initial bang, it is well worth the cost to the effect you can get.

Steve

Ray Uebner
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I think you are refering to the rub n buff. I have used it on the glasses in my house and to this day they still look great. I do not however use a dishwasher I had wash them and dry them. I guess is you put it in a dishwasher with the hot water and soap it would most likely wash out. I tell all my customers not to wash them in the dishwasher.

Stephen Beckham
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Ray,

I have rub n buff also - but for quick down and dirty that is not as permanent - the dry erase is easier to control areas you color and might serve a larger job order that is meant to be cheap and quick. I won't use R&B on a glass job where there are 100's and they want them for dirt cheap. If they are willing to pay me to spend the time making 100 glasses with the R&B - then by all means, but if they come in looking for a handout (most school functions) - they'll get what they pay for...

I discourage dry erase for use at weddings, that's a no brainer - you'd want those things to last a lot longer than one wash... For a prom - where they can get plastic champagne glasses from Oriental Express for $.50 each with an imprint - I wouldn't try to compete with them - I'd direct them to the cheaper item and explain it to be a more economical step than trying to upsell them a $5 glass...

Steve Rozwood
01-09-2009, 1:31 PM
Hello Ed,

I am a Technical service Representative for the Ferro Corporation where we manufacture and distribute the CerMark Laser Marking Materials. We have various colors available that you can use to make a permanent bonded etch your prom glasses. I can send you some information if you would like, just e-mail me at rozwoods@ferro.com (rozwoods@ferro.com) and I will send you some technical bulletins and product listings. If you would like to see a video on how to use our glass/ ceramic material and see if this will fit your needs, just check out the link below at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POhWMHk4-s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POhWMHk4-s)

Also feel free to contact me about any other questions you might have on our Laser Marking Materials. I would also like to thank James Aldrich for recognizing us.

Stephen Rozwood
Technical Service Representative
Ferro Corporation
251 West Wylie Ave.
Washington, PA 15301

Phone: (724) 223-5990
Fax: (724) 228-3170
Email: rozwoods@ferro.com (rozwoods@ferro.com)

Jim Good
01-10-2009, 10:06 AM
The excitement in the voice of your narrator was overwhelming! :D

I like the look on glass, though.

Jim

Frank Corker
01-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Yep, he really was over the moon!

Dee Gallo
01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Good video of the spraying technique, how to judge even thickness.

I especially liked the "Let's Play Hardball" music at the end! It woke me up from the stupor the narrator inspired.

Frank Corker
01-10-2009, 4:17 PM
I especially liked the "Let's Play Hardball" music at the end! It woke me up from the stupor the narrator inspired.

LOL. To be fair though, the instruction was as clear as could be done. I prefer that method to some of the ones with the ear splitting beatbox grunge, that so many think are really cool.

Dee Gallo
01-10-2009, 4:27 PM
Agreed - I usually have to mute the sound and miss the narrative altogether. I'd like to thank Steve for posting the link, it really is helpful to see things in action if you can't get an in-person demo.

cheers, dee

Ed Harrall
01-10-2009, 5:00 PM
Steve,
We are looking for "real" stemware. We have for the last 2 years engraved the glasses and personalized for the seniors with there name. THE STUDENTS DO THE ENGRAVING AND DESIGN OF THE GLASSES.Our school is rural and has about 300 in grade 9-12. we engrave about 200 glasses for prom. We have the school board and most high school teachers attend the prom. We serve a full meal and is still a well attended event in our community. Yes we as a school try to get stuff as "cheap as possible". I am a "Dumpster Diver" and have no shame in asking for donations from business or any place else. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif I have written grants for the equipment that I have acquired. I have to go other areas for donation because there is no business in the community that are school is in.

Stephen Beckham
01-12-2009, 6:58 AM
Steve,
We are looking for "real" stemware.

Ed,

Bless you and the others you work with - our system here has cut the corners so close it's like NASCAR - go fast and keep turning left.... If ya'll can keep the real thing - go for it - and at $4 a tube - it goes a long way. Plus the if the kids are doing it - you won't have the colored fingers.

The only other thing I'd offer is try the gold first - it seems to be the most durable for my use. Some of the other colors seem to be thicker in density and don't hold to the glass as well when wiping off...

Steve

Bob Cole
03-09-2009, 2:08 AM
How many of you have used this stuff?

Wonder if it would work well on awards? If an award job coming up that I may look at doing this versus normal color.

nancy barry
03-09-2009, 8:35 AM
Dollartree stores carry LibbyGlass. You can order by the dozen for free shipment to a local store. They have a good variety of laserable pieces.

hope this helps,
nancyB

Gail LaPorte
03-09-2009, 9:34 AM
Hi I have used a colored marker the kind used on fabric it can be washed .On some of my wine glasses and beer mugs. So far its working fine.

Bill Cunningham
03-10-2009, 9:32 PM
When I have had to brighten up a glass engraving a bit, a little white acrylic paint rubbed on with your finger, then wiped off with a paper towel really does the job.. It probably won't last in a dishwasher, but for temporary colouring its OK or for plate glass that will never see a dishwsher.. I don't know if other colours will work, never tried them...

Steve Clarkson
03-10-2009, 9:49 PM
[quote=Bill Cunningham;1077846]It probably won't last in a dishwasher, quote]

Is there ANY paint that you can use on a glass that will last in a dishwasher?