PDA

View Full Version : 90 degree blade for L-N Low Angle Plane

Jeff Johnson
01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I've been looking at a Lie Nielson Low Angle Jack Plane, and noticed that they sell a 90 degree blade for it. Is this a "blank" that you're expected to grind yourself, or some sort of special (smoothing?) blade?

David Keller NC
01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
You can custom-grind the blade to your liking (for use on face grain), but there's another purpose. With it, you can use the low angle jack as a scraping plane.

Alan DuBoff
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I've been looking at a Lie Nielson Low Angle Jack Plane, and noticed that they sell a 90 degree blade for it. Is this a "blank" that you're expected to grind yourself, or some sort of special (smoothing?) blade?
No, that is for high angle smoothing, I have one. It is an excellent blade for difficult grain, I've tested it on some of the most difficult purple heart I have. It is the only blade that would not give tear out.

The toothed blade is also very handy for rough work.

For my purpose, the LN Low Angle Jack is one of the most versatile hand planes I own. For the most difficult grain, the high angle blade works wonders.

Greg Campbell
01-08-2009, 9:12 PM
There was an article by Brian Boggs in Fine Woodworking last year talking about grinding a bevel-up blade this way and using a low angle block plane as a scaping plane. Really good article.

I ground blades as described in the article for my LN low angle block and smoother and it works great. The edge (i.e. burr) didn't hold up that well for me, but I was able to clean up some white oak with a grain reversal very nicely.

I wouldn't bother buying the "90 degee" blade, about 10 minutes with a course stone and you can turn a regular blade into a 90 easily and save the $5.

The Boggs article was in the 2007 Tools and Shop issue and the article was "Low Cost Scraper Plane". It's online at the FW site.

philip marcou
01-09-2009, 4:38 AM
"I wouldn't bother buying the "90 degee" blade, about 10 minutes with a course stone and you can turn a regular blade into a 90 easily and save the $5"
Are you able to buy these blades for $5 each?
(If so , let me know and we can do a deal) (;)

Pedder Petersen
01-09-2009, 6:47 AM
"I wouldn't bother buying the "90 degee" blade, about 10 minutes with a course stone and you can turn a regular blade into a 90 easily and save the $5"
Are you able to buy these blades for $5 each?

Hi Philip,

the 90° blade costs 45$, the regular blade 40$.

Cheers Pedder

Jeff Johnson
01-09-2009, 3:18 PM
There was an article by Brian Boggs in Fine Woodworking last year talking about grinding a bevel-up blade this way and using a low angle block plane as a scaping plane. Really good article.

The Boggs article was in the 2007 Tools and Shop issue and the article was "Low Cost Scraper Plane". It's online at the FW site.

Ah.

Thanks guys! I'll take a look into it. Now, where'd I stow those back-issues?...