PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detectors?

Kent E. Matthew
01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I have been collecting red oak from the truck of a metal company that we deal with. I have about 60 chunks measuring about 3" x 5" x 40" long. The driver gives it to me most every time they deliver. I want to take special care to avoid any nails that might be present. Will the Little Wizard be okay or should I go with the bigger Lumber Wizard? Or another brand entirely?

Kev Godwin
01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Kent,
The little Wizard should work well for you. Any metal fasteners likely will not be hidden far below the surface but will be close to the surface. Other options include using a low-cost metal stud detector used by drywall contractors (several are made by Stanley and Zircon).

A pinless moisture meter will also give you detection of metal by showing a false high reading for moisture.
Kev

CW McClellan
01-08-2009, 1:41 AM
I would suggest -go to WalMart and get a Bounty Hunter around $100
3-5 -inc thick the little one want pick up if something is deeper
I'v got 5 different dect, had for years I also dect. for artifacts
little Wizard is ok for finding close to the top just my 2cents worth;)

Fred Belknap
01-08-2009, 7:01 AM
I have the larger Wizard and don't trust it to detect anything over 3/4" deep. I know it advertises that it will work to 5" but don't believe it. I ruined a set of blades on my jointer with a broken off screw, that is why I bought it. Haven't did it since so it must be working.

Jim Becker
01-08-2009, 9:44 AM
I have the Little Wizzard and it's been quite effective for my needs.

Fred Hargis
01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
My experience says the little wizard should work (I have it and the Lumber Wizard) but I would scan both sides to be sure. That sounds like a pretty good deal you have going on! You might also try testing your scanner by putting something on the bottom of a board and see if the scanner will detect it through the entire thickness....I suggest that just in case there are differences between individual scanners.

Josiah Bartlett
01-08-2009, 4:32 PM
I have the larger Wizard and don't trust it to detect anything over 3/4" deep. I know it advertises that it will work to 5" but don't believe it. I ruined a set of blades on my jointer with a broken off screw, that is why I bought it. Haven't did it since so it must be working.

I have the larger Wizard and I've found it to go at least 3" deep. I found a very small piece of a finish nail driven into the back of a 4x4 post with it.

Tim Thomas
01-08-2009, 4:35 PM
Woodcraft is running the Lumber Wizard for just $70 until the end of January. I paid $100 for mine and I think it was worth it at that price, especially if you have to scan a large amount of wood.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=142778&FamilyID=3820