PDA

View Full Version : is it just me, or do these two look alike?

Brian Peters
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Some similar qualities.. :D

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/484-118_1_Final_4.jpg

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products/40200/40200_closeup.jpg

Bill Huber
01-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I would say they could be made in the same place.

The SC is a 2 speed and the Ridgid is a single speed. It looks like the SC has a different stop on it and the handle to raise the motor is much different but then all SC did was go straight to one of the screws and not a gear like the Ridgid.

So I would say they are made in the same place and they do share some parts, the castings were just changed here and there and the covers.

Simon Dupay
01-07-2009, 10:48 PM
most likely same manufacturer, most chiawanese tools are made the by same manufacturer, just different name brands.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
You are kidding right? I sure hope so. If I thought Steel City was made anywhere near the Ridgid, I'd be very dissapointed.

Jim Kountz
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I guess its you brother, they look totally different to me except they are both portable planers.

Sonny Edmonds
01-07-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree with Jim.
Heck, one is orange and the other one is.....

About the closest simularities is the switch and the small fact they have depth of cut guages.
And the generallity that they are lunch box planers. :rolleyes:

Tony Bilello
01-08-2009, 12:41 AM
even if they looked identical and even if they were made in the same factory that does not make the the same?
Factories build products to specifications set by the buyer. In this case we will refer to the 'buyer' as the guy who's name is on the product.
Oftentimes ( gotta love that word) the appearance is where all similarities end. Each product name may have different specs on the grade of steel, the thickness of the steel and whether the gears are made of nylon, plastic or cast bronze. And also the manufacturer's name on the motors. Nothing really important except for all of the things that you dont see at a glance.

Tony B

Greg Pavlov
01-08-2009, 12:45 AM
The base might be the same, also the depth gauge, but other than that, no.

Fred Belknap
01-08-2009, 7:17 AM
If I had to choose it would be SC hands down. I looks like a much better machine and I like the color better.

Jason White
01-08-2009, 7:41 AM
They look completely different to me.

Ken Werner
01-08-2009, 7:52 AM
One more for different.

Ralph Wiggum
01-08-2009, 9:20 AM
I said no at first glance. But the cutter heads look very similar. Take the plastic off the top of the ridgid so it only has the bars, take the crank off the side, switch sides for the depth measurement and things start to look similar.

Adam Cavaliere
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I thought Steel City owned their own plant - even if it is over in China. Am I mistaken?

David Keller NC
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Hmm - If you mean "should I buy the Rigid b/c it's a lot less money and it's almost the same thing" that answer is an emphatic no. Unless, of course, you're a homeowner that needs to plan a bunch of rough-sawn pine into construction lumber and you only need to use it for that one job, after which you're going to toss it.

There's good reason why a lot of contractors avoid Rigid and, especially, Ryobi like the plague unless they've got a one-time, destructive use for the tool.

There is no free, or even reduced price, lunch.

Clifford Mescher
01-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Hmm - If you mean "should I buy the Rigid b/c it's a lot less money and it's almost the same thing" that answer is an emphatic no. Unless, of course, you're a homeowner that needs to plan a bunch of rough-sawn pine into construction lumber and you only need to use it for that one job, after which you're going to toss it.

There's good reason why a lot of contractors avoid Rigid and, especially, Ryobi like the plague unless they've got a one-time, destructive use for the tool.

There is no free, or even reduced price, lunch.
Just to be "fair and balanced," I know of alot of contractors that like Rigid products. Personally, have never operated their tools so I have no real opinion.Clifford.

David Keller NC
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Interesting. I've three good friends that are roofing contractors, finish carpenters, and general contractors. None will touch either brand (and are pretty vocal about it). I can't personally speak for Rigid - I don't buy them because of those three friend's comments. But I can speak for Ryobi - I was one of their victims until I got over my stubborness and learned not to buy them.

Adam Cavaliere
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I was very turned off by the "Husky" brand of tools HD sells and have a hard time buying them. Not the same brand being discussed, but from the same store and in my mind along the same lines, though I don't have as much distrust in Rigid.

David DeCristoforo
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I used to have a bunch of Russian guys working for me. Most of them spoke little or no English. One of the hardest things to get across to them was the difference between "same" and "similar"....

Montgomery Scott
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, it is just you.

Jim Koepke
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
even if they looked identical and even if they were made in the same factory that does not make the the same?
Factories build products to specifications set by the buyer. In this case we will refer to the 'buyer' as the guy who's name is on the product.
Oftentimes ( gotta love that word) the appearance is where all similarities end. Each product name may have different specs on the grade of steel, the thickness of the steel and whether the gears are made of nylon, plastic or cast bronze. And also the manufacturer's name on the motors. Nothing really important except for all of the things that you dont see at a glance.

Tony B

I have discovered that even if they are branded the same, one should check the model numbers.

When I was looking for a chain saw, it was discovered that a lot of the low price stores have the same brand, but a lot of the internals are made of less expensive material to meet the price points the big box stores extort from suppliers.

I have also heard the same about many of the other products sold in those big boxes.

jim

Dave Lehnert
01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
One thing I found out reading on a Metalworking forum. A tool from china can look exactly the same but come from a different manufacture. Patent laws are not enforced in China. So new tool factory "B" will just take a tool from factory "A" and copy it. They guy who was telling about this went to China and took photos as examples. This was for a Mini lathe.

I know of one example in woodworking. Several years back Shopsmith came out with a biscuit Jointer. Totalshop, a china clone Shopsmith company, came out with an exact copy. Even had the same casting marks on the tool. Shopsmith sued and won. The Totalshop inventory was handed over to Shopsmith and they sold them off cheap. You can not tell the differance. The only way to tell the "Made in Dayton Ohio" has been covered over with a silver like tape.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/BiscuitJoiner.jpg

Nancy Laird
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
most likely same manufacturer, most chiawanese tools are made the by same manufacturer, just different name brands.

You are kidding right? I sure hope so. If I thought Steel City was made anywhere near the Ridgid, I'd be very dissapointed.

I thought Steel City owned their own plant - even if it is over in China. Am I mistaken?

Gentlemen:

The Steel City tools ARE NOT, and I repeat, ARE NOT, made in the same plant as any other of the Chiwanese machines. Steel City owns their own plant on mainland China, and yes, they do also manufacture the Orion line of machines and tools for Sears. One of the reasons SCTW built their own plant was to avoid the cookie-cutter clone machines that come out of some other plants, leading some other manufacturers' machines all to be alike, except for the paint color. If you inspect the Ridgid and the Steel City machines closely, you will see a myriad of differences, not only in design, but in quality.

Frank Guerin
01-08-2009, 6:29 PM
So it's China versus China. I'll stick to old iron.

Brian Peters
01-08-2009, 6:42 PM
Wow provoked quite a discussion. You guys make a lot of assumptions! All I said is they look alike, and they do. I didn't give opinion to which was better, where they were made etc. :D Just saw the steel city one and it reminded me of the ridgid one.

Fred, you said it looks better and you like it because the color is better; I hope you don't base all of your power tool decisions like that! :confused:

Greg Peterson
01-08-2009, 7:27 PM
It's just you. I see no similarities whatsoever.

Gene DiNardo
01-08-2009, 8:15 PM
I have one of the older Rigid Planers (the gray ones), I have run hundreds of board feet through it. I'm on my third set of knives (double edge).
Up until I got a 20"Griz, it was my primary planer. I mill most of my own lumber
so I can honestly say I have put the Rigid through its paces. Never had a problem with it and I still use if for small parts.
A few years ago the Rigid used to get very good reviews (if you take any stock in tool reviews). I'm not sure it is still the same machine but if it is, and if the Borg still gives a lifetime warranty, I would not hesitate to recommend it.
Gene

Fred Belknap
01-08-2009, 9:16 PM
I was kinda joking. The only Rigid tools I have are plumbing tools made in Ohio. Got a SC dp and really like it. Take that back, I got a magnetic feather board from Rigid.

John Schreiber
01-08-2009, 9:36 PM
I did a Google Images search and found a GIANT jpg of the Ridgid planer. There are some parts which are close enough to be copies or even based on the same casting, but I don't see anything which is identical.

I don't see any importance to their similarity though. The lunchbox planer is a pretty mature product. From a distance any two may look pretty much the same and may even be identical in some respects.

What matters is the quality of the materials and craftsmanship and the cleverness of the design.

Stephen Tashiro
01-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Want to talk about twins? We should discuss the Sears Craftsman 10 inch Sliding Miter Saw and the Kobalt 10 inch Sliding Miter Saw.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Want to talk about twins? We should discuss the Sears Craftsman 10 inch Sliding Miter Saw and the Kobalt 10 inch Sliding Miter Saw.

Yessir....very close to dead ringers right down to the miter detent lever!

Interesting. I've three good friends that are roofing contractors, finish carpenters, and general contractors. None will touch either brand (and are pretty vocal about it). I can't personally speak for Rigid - I don't buy them because of those three friend's comments. But I can speak for Ryobi - I was one of their victims until I got over my stubborness and learned not to buy them.

I chime in on this one...for a contractor's use these lines are complete junk. While I have never bought anything in the orange Ridgid Line, I have bought Ryobi and their Craftsman brethren...sorry I did and never will again.

For me it's like Chevy 305's and 80's four speed transmissions. There are a few folks out there who profess 'they've never had a problem'....trust me they are the exception.

Mike Wellner
01-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Different except for the DoC indicator