PDA

View Full Version : Record Snow, now record flooding

Joe Pelonio
01-07-2009, 9:38 PM
The road I took in to Jury Duty this morning is now closed due to flooding. Several towns are being evacuated, and it's supposed to get worse as the rain melts all the snow that fell last week. NW people be careful out there.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/395143_stormonline08.html?source=mypi

Craig D Peltier
01-08-2009, 9:26 AM
First time I have been stuck in my hometown.Flooded in all 3 directions.Stuck.
At least shop is here , so work goes on.

Joe Pelonio
01-08-2009, 9:32 AM
First time I have been stuck in my hometown.Flooded in all 3 directions.Stuck.
At least shop is here , so work goes on.
I wondered if you were stuck. They just said the Snoqualmie will crest at 10am, and it may be tomorrow before you can get out. Better to be cut off than flooded though.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2009, 9:59 AM
Just for the records guys....it was in the 50's here yesterday. Last night the National Weather Service had flood warnings out here too!

Pat Germain
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
My son lives in Queen Anne. He barely made it out to visit Colorado for Christmas. The airport had been closing off and on due to snow. Ironically, my son came to Colorado to get away from the snow.

And now you've got way too much rain; which, for Seattle, is a lot of rain!

Hang in there, guys.

Craig D Peltier
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
http://your.kingcounty.gov/kcdot/mycommute/camdata/CarDuv_SR203_124.jpg

That link is for a camera shot.Theres usually no water in this picture at all.
I think its over the sign that usually shows from previous floods. Ive never seen it so close to the cul de sac in the past 5 floods though.

Craig D Peltier
01-08-2009, 10:45 AM
My son lives in Queen Anne. He barely made it out to visit Colorado for Christmas. The airport had been closing off and on due to snow. Ironically, my son came to Colorado to get away from the snow.

And now you've got way too much rain; which, for Seattle, is a lot of rain!

Hang in there, guys.

Ill try to make my flying story short.

Snow in Duvall 30 inches.We never have more than 10 on the ground. Roads not plowed for 2 weeks. Took three weeks for USPS to take chains off delivery trucks. Took 3 weeks for garbage pickup.
Drove to airport with chains on 35 miles away after 6 inches of fresh snow an roads under that solid snow from day before. Seattleis very bad at snow removal.They dont even use salt.
Airport line for Alaska was 3 hours to check in. Went across airport an back. They were announcing cancelled flights, told people to go home and rebook dont stay at airport. My flight was delayed about 5 hours.I think we were the last flights to get out from Alaska Air. Cancelled all right after. They ran out of de-icer as well. Thye alos couldnt find my dog and told me I could get off till thye found him and cathc another flight. At that time thye delayed it another 80 minutes and thye found him and finally made it out.
I think this is my towns snow removal.I think hes towing the sander behind him.
Got home after 3 weeks vacation had to gun it to get in driveway through the snow. Had tree down in yard on fence and a busted fence.
Now floods, weeee

Craig D Peltier
01-09-2009, 8:22 PM
Heres a pic of our suppose to be one road over the valley floor. Its usually the last to close but now it looks like this.

Sonny Edmonds
01-09-2009, 9:52 PM
Your road department sure does a crummy job of keeping your roads up. :p
Oh, wait! My SIL works for the State over in Port Orchard. :rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
01-10-2009, 12:03 PM
That picture of the road all apart is something that can be found in many places around here now. There's one just like it on 202 in Fall City where the river undermined the roads, and others where slides did the job. Sonny, you are actually right about our road departments, but with this flood I don't think better maintenance would have helped.