PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Laquer

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-14-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm trying to get things finished up around the shop before the March 1st "Pond-Voyage" party (see BP support Forum) and I need to get some finish on the Shop cab I'm about done sanding. Spraying Laq is so much quicker than brushing on poly but I can only do it in the Garage with a window open and a fan blowing out the fumes. That leads to the temperature question. How low am I safe to go? The garage can be heated, I could spray, evacuate the fumes and then reheat. What do you think?

Thanks!

Bruce Page
02-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by D.McDonnel "Mac"
I'm trying to get things finished up around the shop before the March 1st "Pond-Voyage" party (see BP support Forum) and I need to get some finish on the Shop cab I'm about done sanding. Spraying Laq is so much quicker than brushing on poly but I can only do it in the Garage with a window open and a fan blowing out the fumes. That leads to the temperature question. How low am I safe to go? The garage can be heated, I could spray, evacuate the fumes and then reheat. What do you think?

Thanks!

Of course, safety-wise, you shouldn’t spray indoors. That said, I’ve done it without incident. I did not use a fan but I warmed up the garage, shot a coat, opened the door, ventilated the garage, repeat as necessary. You do have to be careful not to get too much over spray.
Make sure you wear a respirator though.

Chris Knight
02-15-2003, 10:30 AM
I have sprayed Nitrocellulose as low as 8 degrees centigrade and waterborne acrylic as low as 12 degrees. Below these temperatures I get all sorts of problems such as crazing and slow drying.

Experiment first if you don't want to have to strip and start over! (DAMHIKT)

Phil Phelps
02-16-2003, 10:15 AM
...is because of the weather conditions. I have rush jobs constantly. My shop is subject to the weather. I can adjust the cold with a little heat. Toughest is the heat. You do need to keep different thinners handy. Slow and hot for the conditions that prevail.;)

Viking Mountain Tool Works
12-11-2014, 10:10 PM
A respirator with organic vapor cartridges should take care of the fumes, or are you more worried about the potential for fire or explosion?

Bruce Page
12-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Scott, this is a very old thread, you may not get a reply.

Brian W Smith
12-12-2014, 6:15 AM
Wow,this is an old thread.

A very slight tangent,but has always interested me........Several areas,one is spraybooths another is DC,throw in a bit of machine DC port design as well...that you never see any mention of make-up air represented in the sales pitch.Yes,I realize the obvious,just interesting,carry on.

Matt Day
12-12-2014, 7:29 AM
New record for oldest thread dug up?

Jason Roehl
12-12-2014, 8:09 AM
New record for oldest thread dug up?

Quite possibly, considering that the original post was made just 3(?) days after the beginning of SMC.