PDA

View Full Version : Another "This tool vs That tool" thread (sanding machine)

Ed Bamba
01-07-2009, 8:30 PM
Ok, it's my turn to ask; between the OSS or Oscillating edge sander, if you have both, which gets used the most. If you have just one type, what made you select the one you chose. I know each has its uses as well as strengths and weakness. I am leaning more towards the OSS since that was what I needed when doing my last project; lots of curves, an arc, and four bandy legs. Had to place my portable belt sander on its side to sand the parts, but it severely limited the sanding of the curves.

I realize that the edge sander has provisions for sanding most curves, and since most of the parts I made didn't have very tight radii, I could have probably been fine with this machine.

I know that the Ridgid machine has both the spindle and belt, but I would like a more substantial machine.

In case you're wondering, Budget? around $700

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Ed

Brad Noble
01-07-2009, 8:41 PM
If I had my 'druthers', I'd look at this real closely: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Edge-Sander-w-Wrap-Around-Table/G0512

It's real close to your budget and I think it would be a great addition to my shop if only I had the room (and coin).

Brad

hank dekeyser
01-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Ed,

When the local HD finally appeared, I would see the Ridgid sanders lined up in the clearance area (open box, returned, repaired, ??) So I can only assume they may have not been built too well ? The Grizzly sander mentioned is one I had looked at awhile ago, and decided to build one instead. Woodsmith or one of the mags had a set of plans in it a few years back (you can find it online still) and believe it or not - the darn thing worked great ! A week later I was cleaning house and had a rummage sale - a guy offered me $400 for it so of course I sold it (I had like $50 in it). Haven't gotten around to making another one yet. I still flop the belt sander over. I do however have an OSS I picked up used from a high school- an old "State" missing a couple smaller spindles (no big deal). gave it a fresh coat of paint and thats it. Through the years I've been able to do without a big edge sander but some of the stuff you just gotta have an OSS for ! You need to decide which is the best fit for the type of work you do.

Personally if I had it to do over, I'd buy the OSS and build another edge sander. (the list never ends)

Ed Bamba
01-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Brad, thanks for your suggestion. I was looking at that sander. It appears that it is a fixed and not an oscillating type. Not sure if that will make a big difference in performance, but belt clog would probably be a concern. Looks like the table can be adjusted vertically to help minimize that though.

Hank, thanks for chiming in. I found the plans you spoke of. Looks to be still available from Woodsmith. No plans for an OSS though. Like I mentioned, the OSS seems to be more to my needs right now, if only I could find one closer to my price range. The Grizzly 1071 can be had for $736, delivered. I let a used one get away a month ago. Seller was asking $380 for it, with a mobile cart. You snooze, you loose I guess:(

Local Jet dealer has the floor model OSS on sale for $850, and may be willing to wheel and deal a bit to clear out their inventory. Not sure if he would go as low as Grizzly's price though.

ED

Joe Jensen
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
I chose an OSS. I bought an old MAX industrial machine. I just don't see enough usage for an edge sander. I can see using them to sand the edges of doors, but my joints are aligned very well so usually start sanding with 120 grit orbital. If I had lots of space I'd have both. The OSS has a 24" by 24' footprint and can roll around reasonlbly well. A decent edge sander would be 2-3 times larger footprint. Also, having used a 6 by 48 belt sander, belt loading was always an issue. Based on that experience, I'd be worried about belt loading on a non-oscillating edge sander...joe

Jeffrey Makiel
01-08-2009, 6:58 AM
I would go with an edge sander and use a drill press for spindle sanding. An edge sander is great for fixing boo-boos, smoothing large curves and cleaning up miter joints which can't easily be done using an OSS (or a spindle sander drum in a drill press).

-Jeff :)

Joe Jensen
01-08-2009, 2:45 PM
I would go with an edge sander and use a drill press for spindle sanding. An edge sander is great for fixing boo-boos, smoothing large curves and cleaning up miter joints which can't easily be done using an OSS (or a spindle sander drum in a drill press).

-Jeff :)

Boo Boos, who has boo boos :cool:

Ed Bamba
01-09-2009, 7:17 PM
Shameless bump for the weekend crowd. Anyone else care to comment? Thanks in advance.

Don Bullock
01-09-2009, 7:23 PM
If I had a lot of money, which I don't, I would buy several different types of spindle and belt sanders and have them set up for different tasks. Since I don't have a lot of money I bought the Rigid belt/spindle sander and I use both the belt and the spindle.

Ed Bamba
01-09-2009, 7:29 PM
If I had a lot of money, which I don't, I would buy several different types of spindle and belt sanders and have them set up for different tasks. Since I don't have a lot of money I bought the Rigid belt/spindle sander and I use both the belt and the spindle.

How loud does this machine run?

Alex Shanku
01-09-2009, 7:47 PM
I would get a MAX/Boice Crane/other spindle sander and a large disk sander instead of a edge sander

Joe Chritz
01-09-2009, 8:17 PM
They are really designed for totally different operations, although the function can overlap somewhat.

I have the Ridgid and generally keep the belt on. Depending on what kind of work you do you really could use both. For cabinet door parts, nothing beats an oscillating edge sander, for curved portions nothing really beats an OSS.

I will say about the Ridgid is that it is much easier to get good results if the platen is a bit longer than your longest stock. If I get a steal deal on an edge sander of 48" or more I would pick it up just for doors alone.

Joe

David DeCristoforo
01-09-2009, 9:30 PM
This is really an "apples or oranges" question. Is most of your sanding done on straight stock? Then get the edge sander. If you sand mostly curved stock the spindle sander would be the better choice. Remember however that you can do a lot of curved work on the drums of an edge sander. But sanding straight edges on a spindle sander is not so easy.