PDA

View Full Version : Do Jet Band Saws Come Apart?

Steve H Graham
01-07-2009, 7:29 PM
Anyone know whether it's possible to take a Jet JWBS-18 18" band saw apart to such a degree that it can be crammed into a Ford Explorer? Found one for $549.

Greg Cole
01-07-2009, 7:40 PM
If your Explorer has a ball hitch or receiver, rent a U-haul trailer & bring a friend or 2. Or phone a friend with a truck.
The table & motor eaily will come off, but the frame is welded.

Steve H Graham
01-07-2009, 7:42 PM
Can't do a trailer. No hitch, and U-Haul will not rent trailers to Explorer owners. No friend who will drive 200 miles to pick up a saw. It's just me.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2009, 7:46 PM
Steve....as he said...take the motor off....take the table off.....

Fold the seats down in the Explorer.....Cover everything with cardboard....slide the body of the b/s in on it's back....then put the motor and table in.....

I'll bet it can be done IF the seats fold down or can be removed.

Steve H Graham
01-07-2009, 7:49 PM
The dimensions don't worry me, as long as the table comes off. The back seats go flat. The weight is a concern, since Craigslist sellers are not always willing to lift.

I'm reading about this model now; it looks like the resaw height is not good.

Steve H Graham
01-07-2009, 8:04 PM
Let me hijack my own thread. Some guy on Craigslist is advertising a Walker-Turner 16" bandsaw. Apparently it's running, because he is selling a whole bunch of stuff from an active shop.

I know this is a neat old antique, but is it practical? I was looking at 17" machines because I wanted to be able to resaw fairly wide boards.

Jay Yoder
01-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I too ran into the issue with my Explorer...my solution? Rented a trailer from the BORG that normally went with the Dingo...worked like a champ and had a low floor to make loading a snap! Only cost $30 too!!

Ray Newman
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Call a rental place. When I bought my Uni-saw, I rented a pick up w/ a lift gate for one day.

The dealer loaded it on the p/u w/ a fork lift, & we then backed the p/u into the garage, moved it onto the lift, then lowered the saw just about 1' from where it was finally bolted down.

Sonny Edmonds
01-07-2009, 11:45 PM
No. They do not come apart. They are a welded steel frame, and pretty hefty.
I brought mine home by myself, and unloaded it by myself. But I had a Ford Ranger PU back then.
Mine was in a crate and I slid it back to it's balance point, then brought it up until it touched the ground and stood it up and uncrated it.
All that was off of it was the table and it's hardware.
Otherwise it came from Jet as one chunk in a flimsy crate.
You will be handling 340 pounds of fairly tall machine. Plan accordingly. ;)

Mike OMelia
01-08-2009, 12:45 AM
I have a Jet 18". Yes, take the motor and table off. NBD. You should be able to cram the body in the back. But forget about shutting the back hatch. Tie everything off with straps and hang a red flag on anything sticking out the back. Still, you may get pulled for this. So have a good story. I think it SUCKS that U-Haul wont rent to explorer owners. Do you know ANYBODY with a truck?

Mike

Mike Heidrick
01-08-2009, 1:03 AM
Rent a truck.

Alan DuBoff
01-08-2009, 1:20 AM
Can't do a trailer. No hitch, and U-Haul will not rent trailers to Explorer owners.
Sure, not if you don't have a proper hitch. They will rent them to Range Rover owners, I have an old '88 Rangie, I've rent from U-haul several times. I don't see much different between a Rangie and a Explorer, unless you don't have a proper hitch. In that case, U-haul won't rent to many folks, AFAIK.

I own a Jet 18X, and I don't believe you will get it into an Explorer. But I would like to watch you try.

I agree with the renting a trailer portion. You could probably do it with a pickup, but the saw weighs about 400#, as I recall. Personally I wouldn't pull the motor, I don't think it will save you that much weight, and will waste a bunch of time. Most of the weight is in the frame. I would take the table off to be safe, if you need to turn it on it's back. Only put it on the back of the frame if you do lay it down.

Whatever you do, be careful and move it safely.

Steve H Graham
01-08-2009, 9:23 AM
Sure, not if you don't have a proper hitch. They will rent them to Range Rover owners, I have an old '88 Rangie, I've rent from U-haul several times. I don't see much different between a Rangie and a Explorer, unless you don't have a proper hitch. In that case, U-haul won't rent to many folks, AFAIK.

U-Haul has singled out the Ford Explorer; you can check their site. Hitch or no hitch, they will not rent to me.

Call a rental place. When I bought my Uni-saw, I rented a pick up w/ a lift gate for one day.

Man, I wish I lived in one of these places where you can rent pickups with lift gates. They don't exist down here. I know a guy who says his local Home Depot rents them.

Alan DuBoff
01-08-2009, 1:02 PM
U-Haul has singled out the Ford Explorer; you can check their site. Hitch or no hitch, they will not rent to me.
Ok, they won't rent to you. Not much I can do about that. I still wouldn't try to move it in your explorer, but still would like to see you try. There is nothing special about the Explorer, that I know, have you tried Ryder or some of the other rentals? U-Haul doesn't have an exclusive on rental trucks, I've used Ryder before also.

I'd say if they won't rent to you, you need to figure out how to get a truck or have the saw moved for you. It is that simple, if you can't do it, have someone else do it.

Mike Wellner
01-08-2009, 4:34 PM
A Delta 14" with the enclosed stand will fit in the back of a Bronco if you remove the rear seat.