PDA

View Full Version : Finally the first core with my Mcnaughton system!

Jeff Nicol
01-07-2009, 6:06 PM
Helllllooooooooo!!!!! (Down Deep In The Vortex!!)

Well after a couple of months and a lot of other things taking precidence, I finally got to put the Mcnaughton system to the test! I had very little trouble understanding the instructions, but had to read them a couple times as the writing is small and not a diagram to help along the way! But I had already watched Robo Hippie's video and was ahead of the curve! Any way I had my bowl all roughed out and ready to make the first cut, I chose a very forgiving wood for my first attempt! WHITE PINE!! The wood was very wet as I had already had my shower during the roughing out of the blank! But this caused the shavings to be a bit grabby and finally found a good speed and got going very nicely. I did stall the 3520B twice as I was not clearing the chips often enough when I got deeper into the cut. But I proceeded and made a perfect core the first time! I am sure it will get tougher on dry harder woods and the myrtle burl I need to core. Here are the two bowls I made from a big piece of slab wood from my saw mill. It had sat outside a while and had some nice spalting and a few worm holes to boot! There were a couple of cracks I filled with CA and sawdust to fill them. Here is a picture of the pair. The big one is 16"x6" and the the other is about 12"x3".

Jeff

David Walser
01-07-2009, 6:10 PM
Jeff,

Congrats on the new toy. The bowls turned out nicely. As I get sucked deeper into the vortex, I'm sure a coring system is in my future.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2009, 6:16 PM
Congrats on your first. I have my first and only cores down at the Arts Gallery.

Jeff Nicol
01-07-2009, 6:31 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words! Here in Wisconsin the great white pine was harvested and just about decimated in the 1880's to the early 1900's. It seems to have a deep hold on the people here and sells well as large bowls and platters! I sold a large platter to hang on the wall for $150 last fall so I needed to get some more things going.

I am off to a new woodturners clup meeting tonight, I found out about it by accident so I thought I would check them out. Since it is right here in town it is easy!

Thanks,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2009, 8:41 PM
Jeff - congrats on your first coring! I hope to be able to try that for myself in the very near future once I figure out a handle arrangement! Pete Jordan sent me his system to try out and it looks promising!

So, what is the name of the new turning club? Have to figure if they take members from outside the area. My relatives were all from Durand so figure I might qualify!

Jim Kountz
01-07-2009, 9:13 PM
Ive got a Woodcut Bowl Saver system coming so Im excited about coring too. I love the idea about saving the wood and not having "quite" as many shavings on the floor!!

Good looking bowls you made there, hope they sell well for you!!

Jeff Nicol
01-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Steve, It is called the Chippewa Valley Woodturners Guild. I think you would qualify! Nice bunch of guys, most are very novice and just starting out and wanting to learn. It should be fun! A few of the members are more experienced and I will find out as we go along!

Jeff

Benjamin Dahl
01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Jeff, very nice core. I hope to do that sometime soon as well. I love the Northwoods and used to spend summers up there at my grandparent's place outside of Minocqua. Definitely agree about the white pine history.
Ben