PDA

View Full Version : What Red Oak A-1 Ply should look like?

Craig D Peltier
01-07-2009, 5:37 PM
I bought 10 sheets today A-1 armor-core 3/4 for $68 a sheet. One side perfect , has that red oak look, other side in the cathedrals it has dark areas on every sheet. is this common? I dont work with Oak at all.

Thanks

Howard Acheson
01-07-2009, 5:48 PM
Yes, what you got sounds exactly like A-1 hardwood plywood.

Mike Heidrick
01-07-2009, 6:10 PM
Have pictures?

We have a Menards around here that has red oak ply that matches red oak cut in Indiana perfectly. About $46-$53 per 3/4" sheet.

Joe Chritz
01-07-2009, 7:16 PM
Here is a list of ANSI grading for the A face of that plywood. I couldn't find the off face and lunch is about over but I expect that 1 face would probably qualify for B grade so it sounds like you got exactly what it says it was.

To get good both sides you need to pic carefully or likely special order something custom laid up.

Joe

http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/hogan/pages/technical/technical_03/plywoodgrades_04.htm

ETA: I take that back. Here is grades for back faces, note the note on the bottom about ordering custom sheets for good both sides.

http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/hogan/pages/technical/Technical_03/plywoodgrades_07.htm

Peter Quinn
01-07-2009, 9:39 PM
I think there are architectural grades above A-1, maybe AA, that present two perfect faces, but I don't think that expectation is met by A-1 grading standards. Sounds like what you received looks like most A-1 plywood I have seen.

Frank Drew
01-07-2009, 11:49 PM
What's armor-core plywood?

Joe Chritz
01-08-2009, 2:08 AM
Armor-core is essentially MDO with a hardboard or MDF outer layer. Add veneer on both sides (which is what it was designed for) and you have Armor-core plywood.

There is an AA grade face and I expect some companies may offer plywood that is good on both faces but I have never seen it as a regular item.

Joe

Craig D Peltier
01-08-2009, 9:17 AM
Thanks, This helps. I didnt know at some places you could order AA. Just for iknowledge I will attach a pic later this morning.

I have a love hate with Armor Core. On the love its flat. On the hate when screwing into it and then taking the screw out it pulls out MDF hair and leaves a raised bump.

Frank Drew
01-08-2009, 3:21 PM
Thanks, Joe; it isn't something I've ever run across.