PDA

View Full Version : Desert Woodturning Roundup 2009

David Walser
01-07-2009, 5:22 PM
Will any of you Creekers be attending the Desert Woodturning Roundup in Mesa, Arizona, this coming February? If so, maybe we should plan a get together of some sort. I just checked the calendar and couldn't believe the the Roundup is exactly one month from now. If you do come, be sure to dress warmly -- it's only 62 partly-sunny-degrees outside right now. Maybe we'll have better weather in February.

If you're undecided about whether to come, check out the line up of demonstrators and vendors:

http://www.desertwoodturningroundup.com/

Jason Clark2
01-07-2009, 5:30 PM
I'll be there, but you already knew that. :)

Jason

David Walser
01-07-2009, 5:47 PM
I'll be there, but you already knew that. :)

Jason

Jason, at this point, I only hope that I'll be there. (I'm a tax accountant, so February tends to be a busy time of year for me.) However, I've sworn in my wrath that I'll attend (if at all possible)!

Do you suppose I'll be able to get Alan Lacer to sign my DVD's?...

Jason Clark2
01-07-2009, 6:56 PM
Who?!? :D

Anything's possible I suppose, why stop there though, have him sign your skew.

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which demonstrations to attend: Jimmy Clewes, Bonnie Klein, Cindy Drozda, Mark St. Leger, Nick Cook, Alan Lacer, Keith P Thompkins, Hans Finsterwalder, and Dwight Klaus. That's 54 demonstrations over 2 days and I can only pick a total of 6!

Don't forget about the Pen turners demos on Friday night either. I know of at least 1 Creeker that's demonstrating and probably 3 or 4 others that plan to attend.

Jason

Ryan Baker
01-07-2009, 7:17 PM
Wow. It just so happens that I am going to Mesa on the 7th ... Hummmm...

Rich Boehlke
01-07-2009, 8:44 PM
I have never attended the round up and would like to attend this year but must admit to a bit of sticker shock over the registration fees. Is there a less costly general admission option?

Sean Troy
01-07-2009, 8:58 PM
I have never attended the round up and would like to attend this year but must admit to a bit of sticker shock over the registration fees. Is there a less costly general admission option?
It may seem like a little more than you might be comfortable spending, but the value is truly worth so much more.

Jim Kountz
01-07-2009, 9:05 PM
Who?!? :D

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which demonstrations to attend: Jimmy Clewes, Bonnie Klein, Cindy Drozda, Mark St. Leger, Nick Cook, Alan Lacer, Keith P Thompkins, Hans Finsterwalder, and Dwight Klaus. That's 54 demonstrations over 2 days and I can only pick a total of 6!

Jason

Ooo man I would have to see Cindy for sure. Those boxes and finials are just amazing to me!! I think Clewes may be coming to our club this year, sometime soon I hope.

Jason Clark2
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Rich, I'm on the 2009 DWR organizing committee so I do have a vested interest in this.

One of the things to consider when looking at the price of admission is that lunch is provided both Saturday and Sunday in addition to the Saturday evening banquet. Most other symposiums don't include meals with the ticket price. The national AAW symposium in Albuquerque will run you $250 for registration and $40 for the banquet with no mention of lunches. Additionally this year we are providing every paid registrant with a booklet containing the handouts for all of the demonstrators, not just the demonstrations that you're able to attend. I've seen this for other symposiums but always at an additional cost.

The Instant Gallery, Vendors area, and Friday night pen turning demos are all open to the public and free to attend. We do not have single day registrations available but it something that may be considered for 2011.

Jason Clark

David Walser
01-07-2009, 11:25 PM

There are two lower cost options (which most likely won't be of any help to you): The "student" price is $100. If your spouse pays the full cost, then you can get in for the spouse rate of $185.

I understand your concern about the cost, but please understand there are considerable costs involved in putting on the event.

Hope you can make it.