PDA

View Full Version : Router selection for dust control

ron hokenson
01-07-2009, 1:18 PM
What routers with plunge features as well as 1/4 and 1/2 collets are worth considering other than the festools line ? One of my main considerations is dust control. I had pretty much decided on festool but want some other choices if any are close to the festool line in quality with good control of dust.

thanks in advance....ron

Eric DeSilva
01-07-2009, 3:19 PM
I've got a Festool as well as a table mounted Triton (think its the 3.5 horsey one)--the latter having replaced a older DeWalt. I've been pleasantly surprised by the Triton's DC, much better than other non-Festools I've used.

On the pragmatic side, I'd note there was a bunch of recent discussion about how Triton may be going under or something.

On the other hand, I see WC seems to have some decent sales on the Tritons...

Jamie Buxton
01-07-2009, 3:44 PM
Recent thread on that topic...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=994315#post994315

Rick Thom
01-07-2009, 4:11 PM
I would also say the Triton is especially good for DC. Besides the central dust port, they also include an auxiliary 'cup' that attaches under the base and directs dust/chips into the central port for activities like edge routing. I haven't tried it with a d/t jig but I expect if works well there too.
Of the 2 Triton routers I prefer the 2 1/4 hp unit which comes very well equipped with accessories and also has a ton of power and torque.

Ray Newman
01-07-2009, 4:18 PM
Find yourself a good sized tool dealer(s) & handle the routers on display.
After having found those that fee/handle/operate the best, then consider DC capabilities.

IMO, having DC is a very worthwhile, but if the router doesn’t fit you, it could very well not be used.

Chuck Tringo
01-07-2009, 9:51 PM
Im looking at adding a Betterley Stacc Vac to mi Hitachi. http://www.betterleytools.com/

It was designed for Corian countertop installation and claims to get over 90% of dust. I figure if it can pick up the dust form that than it should work fine on wood, and it also provides a large offset for better stability. file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CT/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CT/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg

Jim Becker
01-08-2009, 9:44 AM
Dewalt DW621 is considered an excellent plunger with effective dust control built in. The DW618 plunge base is similar. But while I know you don't want to hear it, the OF1400 is the best router I've ever used relative to dust control due to the variety of dust pickup options that come standard with it.

Lowell Kinzer
01-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I've found dust collection on the Bosch 1619EVS 3.25 HP plunge router, with its standard dust extraction hood attached, to be very good. I've also gotten good results with the edge-forming dust extraction hood, which is an optional accessory. Both hoods are easy to install/remove.

The springs engage/disengage easily, so converting from table-mount to hand-held use, and back, is fast and simple. It's a big router, though. I've since gotten a smaller router for hand-held use, so the 1619 spends most of its time hanging under a table.

For hand-held use, the handles flex a bit more than I'd like. Other than that, I'm quite happy with it.

Cheers,

Lowell