PDA

View Full Version : Saw something scary last night

Lee Schierer
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
No, I didn't look in the mirror! :D

I was in Lowes picking up some brushable lacquer in a semi gloss that they had special ordered for me. While waiting I noted a end display behind me and looked at the smoke / & CO2 detectors. One of the scariest things I've seen in while was the batteries they were selling. They were Lithium Smoke Detector batteries (9 volt) guranteed for 10 years! I know you are supposed to check your detectors regularly, but most people I know, myself included, wait for the low battery chirp or test them once or twice a year. 10 years seems way to long to leave a smoke detector unattended.

Frank Guerin
01-07-2009, 7:11 PM
Thankfully the smoke detectors don't recognize batterey guarentee's and will be chirping before then. It would be interesting to read the guarentee for something like that. I'm sure the legalize would baffle the most intelligent which I am a proud member of not belonging.

Jason Roehl
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
It's not too far-fetched, Lee. In our last house, we had a smoke detector that was right outside the kitchen. One little drip of something in the oven would set it off, so as a result, it would go off probably 2-3 times per week (never had to do the weekly test that way :D ). I easily got 5+ years out of each battery.

Sonny Edmonds
01-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Things change, Lee.
20 years ago if somebody said you'd be having conversations with folks you never met, what would you have thought?
The first computer I ever saw was a Univac 9000. Not much more than a glorified tape recorder that used 12" reels of 1/2" tape.
Now a cell phone is much more powerful.
So just as technology advances, so will batteries.
Pro rate that smoke detector over the 10 year projected life span and it gets pretty cheap for a chirper.
You can still test it very daylight savings change. ;)