PDA

View Full Version : The Grizzly Gloat begins

Paul Greathouse
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I wasn't expecting my G0609X Grizzly Jointer until Friday but I got a call at work yesterday that my jointer was at the local SAIA Motor Frieght Terminal and was ready for pickup.

This morning I drove over to the terminal to to get it. Upon inspecting the crate I was truely impressed. My hats off to Shiraz/Grizzly for the Superior packing job. The Jointer is in a plywood box and is sitting on metal runners instead of a pallet. There was no visible damage to the crate. Great Job, SAIA, for not abusing the crate.

I haven't actually seen the jointer yet becase I don't want to disturb the metal banding on the crate until after we get it off the trailer. I'm waiting on help with that later on this afternoon. So, for the picture police, here's a start with more to follow.

Now you don't see it.

Now you do.

Back home, waiting for unloading help, can't wait to get a look at it.

I'll update with more pictures as soon as I can get it off the trailer and in the shop.

Gregory Stahl
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
How exciting--I remember when mine arrived!

If you experience belt slap or noise, check the alignment of the pulleys and tighten the motor down-there is an adjustment right next to it. I almost bought link belts for mine, but after fine tuning it (while installing a Byrd cutterhead), I couldn't be happier!

glenn bradley
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Awsome. Congrats.

Paul Greathouse
01-07-2009, 2:09 PM
After clearing a path through the shop to get the jointer in later I couldn't resist uncrating it. It's a nice sunny day so no concern about rain before it will be unloaded this afternoon.

Now I understand the air craft carrier references everyone makes when talking about these large jointers.

Paul Greathouse
01-07-2009, 2:15 PM
Heres the parts, accessories and owners manual.

A closeup of the motor. The belt adjustment looks simple enough.

And a shot of the dreaded cosmoline on the cutterhead that everyone always complains about.

I'm headed to town now to rent a pallet jack or rolling crane, whatever I can come up with. I'll try to get some pictures of the unloading process later.

Rob Cooper
01-07-2009, 2:25 PM
83 1/2 bed and over 1,000 lbs- wow!
Maybe you can use the rolling crane to drop one of those logs on that beast!

Don Bullock
01-07-2009, 2:50 PM
Congratulations!!!

That's one mighty fine piece of equipment.:D

Chuck Durst
01-07-2009, 3:28 PM
Congrats on the new machine. Question #1 Do you have enough help to move that thing? #2 Do you have a 2nd person to help opperate that thing? #3 Does that have a built in crane for loading logs, or is that a option?#4 Where in the world are you that its that sunny today ??
But really congrats on the new machine.

Chuck

Greg Cole
01-07-2009, 3:31 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
You're going to love that machine Paul.

Douglas Brummett
01-07-2009, 3:38 PM
That's a nice jointer, but you probably should have saved up for a bigger one :)

Dave Lehnert
01-07-2009, 4:24 PM
Going to rent a jack? Heck, If it was a bunch of guys at work they would just drive backwards fast and slam or the breaks. Works every time.

Congratulations on the new jointer.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Craig D Peltier
01-07-2009, 5:32 PM
Hmmm, thats the one I want.

Congrats!

Like to hear how it cuts with the spiral head.

Roger Warford
01-07-2009, 5:37 PM
Plan on milling up some sequoias? ;) Me, I can mill toothpicks all day long! :rolleyes:

Congrats and enjoy!

Brian Peters
01-07-2009, 5:58 PM
Wow what a cool jointer, nice gloat! How do you plan on getting all the grease/lube out of the shelix head? Are all of Grizzly's tools made overseas?

Mike Lipke
01-07-2009, 6:35 PM
Nice lookin' power tool!
Of course, when you pay $350 for a tool, it should be nice.

Ed Bamba
01-07-2009, 7:51 PM
That's a strange placement of the ON/OFF switch:)

Chris Ricker
01-07-2009, 8:39 PM
Nice jointer, I'm sure you're going to love it;).
Don't worry too much about the gunk on the spiral head, get off what you can and leave the rest, It certainly won't hurt and may add some protection in the nooks that you cant get to.
you're gonna LOVE the spiral head:D

Chuck Tringo
01-07-2009, 9:04 PM
wow, looks like you can park a harley on that thing, im sure it will serve you well

Bruce Page
01-07-2009, 9:17 PM
Congrats Paul
She's a monster!

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-08-2009, 7:37 AM
Man, that thing is awesome. And I look at my 490x 8" in the garage and think its big - that is a monster. Beautiful!

Tim Malyszko
01-08-2009, 9:30 AM
Wow,

That jointer is just awesome. I can't wait to see the final setup and what it can do.

Paul Greathouse
01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry guys but I couldnt' get any pictures of the unloading. Instead of renting a pallet jack or a rolling crane as I had planned, I got some free help instead.

A Friend that lives down the road was on vacation yesterday. He has a small tractor with a front end loader. I didn't realize the little tractor had a lift capacity of 1900lbs. So he was able to lift it off the trailer and drive it right into the shop. He and I were the only ones there to do the unloading and the LOML was babysitting our new granddaughter so I had no photographer. My dad did show up to take a look and supervise the final placement in my shop.

I see that some of you have some specific questions. I'll go back and answer them tonight when I get more time. I have to run back to town this morning, some of the electrical setup I bought last night will not work permanently but I did have enough to get it running and set up.

Having never setup a jointer before, I probably over engineered the setup. It took 3 hours. I didn't get to bed last night until 1am but the jointer is setup and working perfectly with ZERO snipe. What a great machine. Thank You Grizzly for making a great machine and selling it at a working man's price.

Here's a picture update.

I was able to scrape the majority of the cosmoline off with a plastic scraper and then I cleaned the rest off with WD-40.

A closup.

It only required a 20 amp plug but I went with a 30amp twist lock.

Here it is all cleaned off.

Paul Greathouse
01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
A couple more spic and span pictures

The Oneida Pro 1500 was getting jealous so I took a shot of it.

Paul Greathouse
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Here's some brief results, I'll post some more pictures of what it can do when I work with some nicer wood. I intentionally grapped some of the worse oak boards that I had to try it out.

Before Grizzly

After Grizzly

A parting shot when walking out last night. I really need to cleanup more but it was time to get to bed.

Paul Greathouse
01-08-2009, 6:41 PM
83 1/2 bed and over 1,000 lbs- wow!
Maybe you can use the rolling crane to drop one of those logs on that beast!

The 1,000 lbs+ shipping wieght was intimidating at first but I was surprised how easily my friends little tractor handled it.

As for the logs in the background of the first picture, I am blessed that my father and oldest son are in the heavy construction business.
They have a logger that comes in and buys most of their logs when they do a clearing job but my son will put the good ones aside for me when I want some.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-08-2009, 6:46 PM
Sweet. Looks like it face joints.

Ya had to show off that Oneida, didn't you? Just when i was feeling happy about my Jet 1100. :)

Nice shop, Paul. The elbow room is really nice. Someday....

Paul Greathouse
01-08-2009, 6:47 PM
Congrats on the new machine. Question #1 Do you have enough help to move that thing? #2 Do you have a 2nd person to help opperate that thing? #3 Does that have a built in crane for loading logs, or is that a option?#4 Where in the world are you that its that sunny today ??
But really congrats on the new machine.

Chuck

Chuck, I live down in southwest Louisiana. We are averaging about 2 cold days when a front comes through and then 3 or 4 hot days till the next cold front. It was a nice sunny day in the high 60's yesterday when I took the pictures.

Jim Dunn
01-08-2009, 7:14 PM
When do the planes start to land????? Nice looking piece of equipment. It should serve you well.

Tim Malyszko
01-08-2009, 8:06 PM
I am so jealous right now!!! Awesome Gloat. By the way, you have a great shop.

Happy Jointing.

Paul Kinneberg
01-08-2009, 8:34 PM
Very nice!!

Paul Greathouse
01-08-2009, 8:47 PM
I am so jealous right now!!! Awesome Gloat. By the way, you have a great shop.

Happy Jointing.

Thanks Tim,

I am blessed to have an understanding wife. She realizes that the better quality tools her man has the better quality work I can do for her. I built the shop back in 2005. I was able to go as large as I did (30x50) due to the fact that I live in the country and have plenty of room and also that I built it myself which saved a ton of money. Another way I justify it is, it will become an supplimental retirement business in 10 or 12 years.

Tom Leasure
01-08-2009, 9:26 PM
Paul'
Just recieved the same jointer today - after a 6" machine, this thing is a monster. The question I have is how did you set the in & out tables ??
The manual shows how to set them with the knife head but doesn't show how with the spirial head.
I can't wait to get this thing running. I would appreciate your help
Thanks,
Tom

Paul Greathouse
01-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Paul'
Just recieved the same jointer today - after a 6" machine, this thing is a monster. The question I have is how did you set the in & out tables ??
The manual shows how to set them with the knife head but doesn't show how with the spirial head.
I can't wait to get this thing running. I would appreciate your help
Thanks,
Tom

I was a newbie to the process of setting the tables. I used a cheap Johnson 36" aluminum ruler for a straight edge. First I checked the outfeed table for parallel to the cutterhead. Next I checked the infeed table to be parallel with the outfeed.

With the ruler on the outfeed table, extending just over the cutterhead I then set the outfeed table height so that the cutters just slightly scraped the ruler when I rotated the cutterhead. Be sure and rotate the cutterhead so that you can find the high point. after setting it, I locked it in place with the positive stop bolts like the instructions call for.

Then I set the infeed table for a 1/16" cut and I achieved the results you saw in the pictures above. It took 4 or 5 passes to get the cup out of the board that is shown in the picture.

Scott Vigder
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
WOW. Your monster aircraft carrier makes my 8" Grizzly G0490 look like a tug boat.

Paul Greathouse
01-09-2009, 6:37 PM
Wow what a cool jointer, nice gloat! How do you plan on getting all the grease/lube out of the shelix head? Are all of Grizzly's tools made overseas?

Yes Brian, I'm pretty sure all of Grizzly's tools are made overseas. That's not necessarily a bad thing from the standpoint of how well the tool is made though. Many of the former American made tools are now made overseas. It's not necessarily good for manuafacturing in the U.S. but as long as quality control is mantained in the "Nese" plants, the consumer still gets a good tool.

I contributed to the buy American idea when purchasing my Dust Collection. I went with Oneida and I really like their machine. As for cuttting tools I have the Shop Fox planer/jointer, Grizzly jointer and I also have a Grizzly 20" planer on back order.

The European tools look good and I'm sure they are extremely high quality but I was able to buy the 12" Grizzly jointer and the 20" Grizzly planer for much less than a comparable sized European planer/jointer combo. Grizzly has a 16" planer/jointer made in Germany that I was also considering, but when I found that they were discontinuing it, I decided against it.

Jeffrey Alvis
01-16-2010, 8:23 PM
I am considering buying one of these and wondering if you are still happy with it? Any complaints? Thanks!

Jeffrey Makiel
01-16-2010, 9:21 PM
Paul,
First...congratulations.

Secondly...It appears that you are putting a 30A outlet on what looks to be 12ga wiring. However, the pic is hard to ascertain. I believe that a 30A outlet requires that the wiring be 10ga and the double pole breaker be 30A too. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, enjoy!

-Jeff :)

Cliff Holmes
01-16-2010, 10:34 PM
The Oneida Pro 1500 was getting jealous so I took a shot of it.

You shouldn't anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it ...

guy knight
01-17-2010, 12:17 AM
have had mine for over a year i installed a byrd head good jointer take the time to make sure all of the bolts are tight when i went to replace the cuuter head the 2 bolts holding it on were finger tight:eek:

Paul Greathouse
01-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Yes Jeffery,

I am still happy with it and would buy it again without hesitation. I also have the Grizzly 20" Planer and it is a great machine too.

For the past several years I've been using a track saw in place of a table saw but recently I have been seeing where a tablesaw would perform better/easier for some jobs. When I do purchase a TS there is a very good chance it will be a Grizzly.