PDA

View Full Version : What workshop item do you always misplace

Stefan Antwarg
06-22-2004, 8:53 AM
I thought I would make light of a constant irritation of mine. 95% of the time that I am in my workshop and I need a pencil, I can't find it. I almost always have to stop everything and go on a search. And I usually have to go upstairs into my house and get another. Once I move my tools (soon because I will be finishing the area for a family room), I am sure I will have enough pencils to fill a stationary store.

Stefan

Cliff Newton
06-22-2004, 9:06 AM
Safety glasses. I spend more time looking for my glasses than actually cutting wood.

Ken Salisbury
06-22-2004, 9:14 AM
My opener for this: http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/lilbud.gif :D

Ray Johnson
06-22-2004, 9:21 AM
It will be on my bench or someplace that I see day after day. But come the day I need it, it has grown feet and walked away!

Matthew Dworman
06-22-2004, 9:23 AM
I installed a remote control unit for my dust collector. I'm always searching for the remote. I would spend less time walking over to the dust collector and turning it on than I do looking for the darn remote so that I don't have to walk the 15 ft. over to the dust collector to turn it on by hand!
Also, for some reason, when I'm done at the jointer, I seem to place the push blocks somewhere far away from the jointer, sothe next time I use it, I'm always searching for the blocks! (don't worry though, I never use the jointer untill I find them - that's one shortcut I'll never take!!)
Matt

Frank Pellow
06-22-2004, 9:33 AM
My glasses. For close-up work I see better without glasses, so I am always taking them off and placing them in the darndest places.

Tyler Howell
06-22-2004, 9:38 AM
I installed a remote control unit for my dust collector. I'm always searching for the remote. I would spend less time walking over to the dust collector and turning it on than I do looking for the darn remote so that I don't have to walk the 15 ft. over to the dust collector to turn it on by hand!
Also, for some reason, when I'm done at the jointer, I seem to place the push blocks somewhere far away from the jointer, sothe next time I use it, I'm always searching for the blocks! (don't worry though, I never use the jointer untill I find them - that's one shortcut I'll never take!!)
MattFYI MATT!
I attach bungies to all the remotes and a magnet on the back. They are always hooked in the same place (central shop or close to the place they are used) and stuck to the overhead air duct. Works great.
;)

Tyler Howell
06-22-2004, 9:43 AM
Safety glasses. I spend more time looking for my glasses than actually cutting wood.A fix for you Cliff, I put eye glass guards/straps on the safety glasses and hang them all over the shop usually bye one of the work stations. Have about four pair (kept loosing them) so now they are hanging on the machine or around my neck. ;)

I keep loosing my tape measurer. Solution, Strength in numbers about 6 of them (See above) I also take broken ones, old rulers and store bought adhesive backed rules and attached them to benches around the shop. Ever present.;)

Kurt Aebi
06-22-2004, 9:44 AM
I'm with ya Stefan, I also lose track of my tape measure as well. To solve this, I picked up some of those acrylic trays that movie rental places have for the VCR tapes and cut them into 10" sections and placed one near every power tool and bench in the shop (8 total) and placed sharpened pencils into the tray and hang a tape measure each one. Voila! There is always a tape measure and pencil close by.

Now if I could say the same about screwdrivers - where have they all gone

Larry Browning
06-22-2004, 9:48 AM
I seem to always be looking for the tape measure or square.
Now that we have identified these things, does anyone have some trick or work method to solve this most irritating problem? For me, this is by far the biggest time suck in my shop time. I know that being more organized would go a long way in solving this, but I have known this for over 50 years and I still haven't been able to do it.

Larry

Tyler Howell
06-22-2004, 9:54 AM
I seem to always be looking for the tape measure or square.
Now that we have identified these things, does anyone have some trick or work method to solve this most irritating problem? For me, this is by far the biggest time suck in my shop time. I know that being more organized would go a long way in solving this, but I have known this for over 50 years and I still haven't been able to do it.

Larry
Look up Larry two threads;)

Larry Browning
06-22-2004, 9:54 AM
FYI MATT!
I attach bungies to all the remotes and a magnet on the back. They are always hooked in the same place (central shop or close to the place they are used) and stuck to the overhead air duct. Works great.
;)
Hey Tyler,
Sound like your shop looks like a meat locker. :D How about a picture of all that stuff hanging arround?

Larry Browning
06-22-2004, 9:56 AM
Look up Larry two threads;)
Tyler,
Those post appeared WHILE I was writing that one. I'm a slow typist, what can I say? :o

Tyler Howell
06-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Tyler,
Those post appeared WHILE I was writing that one. I'm a slow typist, what can I say? :oJust hope it helps Larry, Not a fix for everyone but it sure takes some of the hassle out of it and a fight against the dreaded CRS.:D

Dan Dubeau
06-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Tape measure, pencil, six inch steel rule. basically all my layout and marking tools. so i just bought about 3-4 each and place them near where i use them the most.

It still doesn't work all the time though.

I think I need to start wearing a shop appron

Chris Padilla
06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
PICS, Tyler, PICS!!!

For me, it is always my mechanical pencils. I have five of them scattered...yeah, they've grown legs and scattered big time! :D

Dan Mages
06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
That would be my pencil. I have kinda resolved that problem by attaching it to a retractable lanyard on my toolbelt.

Dan

Matthew Dworman
06-22-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm also alwas "Misplacing" my dog! I have a 6 month onld Jack Russell that likes to come down to the shop with me. She's always dissapearing with a pencil or scrap piece of wood or sandpaper or something....:eek:

Kent Cori
06-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Money! I always seem to be misplacing it at Tool Crib, Lee Valley, Berea Hardwoods, Craft Supplies USA, Woodworker's Supply and all those other woodworking black holes that constantly eat my cash supply. :)

Jim Becker
06-22-2004, 11:01 AM
I have to vote for the pencil, too--even with about a half dozen of them in service at any one time, they often end up "someplace else" from where I am at the moment. I do try to keep them distributed, but...

No problem with the DC remote for me as I have 7 of them strategically placed throughout the shop. Although they are RF wireless, I treat them as a wired remote system and they are in fixed locations and can't be moved or misplaced.

No problem with the safety glasses, either. They go on when I enter the shop and don't come off until I'm done for the day, even if I go into the house for the bathroom, food or a quick "forum crawl"...

Chris Padilla
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Jim,

What kind of safety glasses do you wear that are so comfortable? I've yet to find some real nice ones.

Jim Becker
06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Chris, I'm currently using a pair I got from Duluth Trading.

http://duluthtrading.com/pix/prod/P29597X.jpg

These are "cheaters" with close vision correction, but are not the less expensive plastic units with small close-viewing areas. They sell for $29.95 and are available in a variety of diopter choices. More info at http://duluthtrading.com/a/shop/dproduct.asp?UID=2004062210045822&GEN0=&GEN1=&T1=10314&c=catprotect&s=3J2EYE

I will also add that I absolutely LOVE their long-tail tees with pockets and I pretty much wear them exclusively in the shop. Heck, I even wear them during the week when I'm "slaving away", but not traveling. Very comfortable. The latest version doesn't even have a tag to irritate the back of my neck.

Gary Whitt
06-22-2004, 11:45 AM
"I will also add that I absolutely LOVE their long-tail tees with pockets and I pretty much wear them exclusively in the shop. Heck, I even wear them during the week when I'm "slaving away", but not traveling. "

Jim, don't they brag about them eliminating "plumber's butt" ? :D :D

Jim Becker
06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Jim, don't they brag about them eliminating "plumber's butt" ? :D :D
Yea, they do. It's a good marketing thing. Fortunately, I'm only a part-time plumber. Very part time. Like once or twice a year if I must.

But when you get serious about it, tee shirts do shrink over time and in my experience, they do so more in "length" than "width". I hate shirts that will not stay tucked and these do even after two year's worth of washing. They are also better made than those in the local stores...very heavy weight and soft.

Herb Blair
06-22-2004, 1:02 PM
My opener for this: http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/lilbud.gif :D
Ken,
Install a tap and buy it buy the keg...use disposable cups (so you don't have to look for a clean glass).

Herb

Chris Padilla
06-22-2004, 1:07 PM
Ken could spin himself some nice "woodware" for drinking out of! :)

Don Farr
06-22-2004, 1:20 PM
I will also add that I absolutely LOVE their long-tail tees with pockets and I pretty much wear them exclusively in the shop. Heck, I even wear them during the week when I'm "slaving away", but not traveling. Very comfortable. The latest version doesn't even have a tag to irritate the back of my neck.
Thank you Jim Becker. I have been looking everywhere for these. I have two T's that I have had for years and they have seen their best days.

John Miliunas
06-22-2004, 1:35 PM
Another pencil loser here. I've got tons of them all over the place, but try and grab one when you need one! :confused: Second up would be the square. Safety glasses are typically *always* on my head when I come into the shop. :) I've read where you guys have a million tape measures placed all over. FWIW, I too have several scattered about BUT, when working on a specific project, I have my "favorite" and, once started, that's *the only* one used for the project. Accuracy from tape to tape will vary, especially depending how bad the hook end is beat up. If my favorite one is a bit "off", at least, ALL my measurements with that tape will be "off" equal amounts, so I still stand a pretty good chance of coming up somewhat square. :) ("Somewhat square" is usually as good as I get! :rolleyes: ) Hmmmm...Now where did I put that keyboard???? :D :rolleyes: :cool:

David Klink
06-22-2004, 1:58 PM
In my case it isn't what item but which items. I have a propensity for hunting for tape measures. Also my calipers and drill bits, and several others that I can't remember.;)

I do have a pencil issue as well, but in my case it's more an issue of them migrating indoors and nesting in different areas of the house. My favorite pencil issue would be my knack for leaving them in my back pocket, forgetting them, then sitting on them.

Lee Schierer
06-22-2004, 2:25 PM
In case you didn't know, there are pencil gremlins that live in wood. The covet pencils, so after you quite for the day and even sometimes while you are working, they will slip out of their hiding places and grab your pencil. I know I have a whole family of them in my shop as I have not less than 7 mechanical pencils in my shop and at best I can usually find only one.

When I clean up, I manage to locate all of them and return them to their storage area on the back of my saw fence, but as a project progresses, pencils become a scarce commodity,

Lee

Shawn Battagler
06-22-2004, 2:28 PM
I bought about 20 pencils and scattered them throughout the shop. I also have 3 tape measures, 5 squares, and I need to get a couple more sets of safety glasses.

Jim Becker
06-22-2004, 2:28 PM
In case you didn't know, there are pencil gremlins that live in wood.
These are related to the same folks who deal in single socks, right?

Billy Reynolds
06-22-2004, 2:34 PM
:confused: It's got to be the pencil. :confused:

Arvin Brown
06-22-2004, 3:18 PM
I misplace my mind - and it's lost in more places than just the shop! (That's what my wife says anyways)!

JayStPeter
06-22-2004, 4:34 PM
Another vote for pencils. I keep them behind my ear. Then walk out of the shop and leave them around the house. My primitive solution is to buy 48 packs at Staples. I grab a new one and sharpen it every time I enter the shop. Once the pack is empty, I hunt down as many as I can find around the house and put them back in the box. :rolleyes: I do like mechanical pencils better, but a 48 pack of those would break the bank :eek: .

The shop apron helps for the remotes, but not always.

My biggest problem with layout tools is not necessarily misplacing them, but poorly placing them. Then I'll knock them off the bench/tool and sometimes ruin them. Haven't come up with a solution that I think will work. I'm hoping the expense of some of the new Starrett stuff I got will intimidate me into being more careful.

Jay

Byron Trantham
06-22-2004, 4:51 PM
Misplace things? Never! :D Yea right, you ding bat!!! ;)

Chris Padilla
06-22-2004, 5:05 PM
Jay,

My solution to expensive/precise layout tools is to either keep them in their boxes or make some box to stow them in and ALWAYS, ALWAYS put them back in the box. Of course, that is the tough one to do. I knocked my calipers off my bench and bent the points for measuring inside dimensions...damn, was I pissed...ended buying a new pair and am now careful to put it back in its little plastic/foam box.

Cecil Arnold
06-22-2004, 5:13 PM
My answer for pencils is to keep the best one (5m/m mechanical) in my long tailed "T" shirt pocket, then have about a dozen more (red lead, white lead, and regular graphite) in the shop for those "few" times I misplace it. Since I don't like tape measures 'cause the three I have always seem to be somewhere else when I need them, I use folding carpenters rules (3) and usually manage to keep my favorate (the yellow one) around. When it goes AWOL I still have the two white ones in an upper cabinet.

JayStPeter
06-22-2004, 5:26 PM
Jay,

My solution to expensive/precise layout tools is to either keep them in their boxes or make some box to stow them in and ALWAYS, ALWAYS put them back in the box. Of course, that is the tough one to do. I knocked my calipers off my bench and bent the points for measuring inside dimensions...damn, was I pissed...ended buying a new pair and am now careful to put it back in its little plastic/foam box.

I tried that. Doesn't work (as you've seen :D ). I did the exact same thing to my calipers. My solution there was to buy some plastic calipers :rolleyes: . They seem pretty accurate. And at less than half the price of my bent ones they're almost disposable. It's the squares and straight edges that are killing me. My dinged aluminum straight edges don't do much good anyore. I do have some plastic squares when I don't really need super precision :cool: .
I'm hoping that once I get the shop organized, I'll have stations where I always do certain things. Then I can be a little more organized and put things where they should be. I have never had enough storage for everything, so some things actually belonged on the bench. Hopefully, I'll fix that soon.

Jay

Chris Padilla
06-22-2004, 5:28 PM
Yep, agree 100% that when everything has its place and a place for everything, things should go much smoother.

Earl Reid
06-22-2004, 5:48 PM
I can take 10 pencils to the shop and the next day they are all gone ???.
Then there are the tapes, the small sq. and a few other item ,too many to count. :mad:
Earl

Travis Lanman
06-22-2004, 9:02 PM
The one thing I lose most is my tape measure followed by various driver bits I use in my drill for screws. I always lose the phillips ones but can always find about 20 huge staight ones. ;) One's that I would never use of course.
Travis

Steve Clardy
06-22-2004, 9:31 PM
PENCIL !!!!!

I have BOXES of them I've bought at flea markets, etc., and still have trouble finding them even after I stop and sharpen up a dozen or so and lay them by various tools and benches.
I guess the PENCIL BUGGER eats them at night or something!!!!:eek:
Steve, penciled out.

Dale Thompson
06-22-2004, 10:51 PM
I can't IMAGINE a WWer losing his/her PENCIL! Go to Office Depot or something, pencils are a buck two ninety-five for a jillion. While you're there, get yourself a $10 electric sharpener. Store them next to each other and SHAZAM - a sharp pencil is only a buzz away. My only thing with pencils is that I have to stay away from the ones that I make - They don't work very often!! ;) :) Get real on pencils!!

Tape Measures: I NEVER lose my favorite one. It's been around for about thirty years. It's a STEEL bladed Stanley 12' x 1/2" guy which I don't think they have made for two or three hundred years. :( :( Have any of you genius types ever heard of a BELT?? Put it on your belt and forget about it - it will always BE there. If you can't afford a belt, put it on the edge of your jeans. If age has caused gravity to be a problem and a tape measure pulls down your jeans, don't worry! Nobody will care anyway!

GHEESH! You folks are REALLY a big disappointment when it comes to common sense!! :D :eek: :)

NOW! -- Where in the heck is my pencil and my tape measure?? :rolleyes:

Dale T.

Todd Burch
06-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Pencils. Never have enough of them. Matter of fact, I just ordered 500 of them boogers with my logo on them. #1 lead, bright yellow shaft with blue logo. AND, get this - I had them add inch markings on the side of the pencil - to scale, for measuring up to 4½"!! So, if I find my pencil - I've also found my ruler!!

I also misplace the little red tip for my glue bottle at LEAST once a day. I had 4 retractable tape measurers, but one broke, so I'm down to 3 and I feel like I have to look for one now.

David Klink
06-23-2004, 2:50 AM
I can take 10 pencils to the shop and the next day they are all gone ???.
Then there are the tapes, the small sq. and a few other item ,too many to count. :mad:
Earl
There you are...My lost twin! I forgot about my tape measure issue.I have 4 of them, and one day they're all lined up neatly, four days later, there's one in every room in the house. Worst thing is, I couldn't even tell you what I'd been measuring with them.:confused:

Mark Singer
06-23-2004, 8:33 AM
When I get a little carried away.....the table saw

JayStPeter
06-23-2004, 9:48 AM
When I get a little carried away.....the table saw

Have you looked under the pizza boxes? ;)

Seriously, I have a solution. I attach 4 or 6" diameter tails to all my large equipment. I have some pipes on the wall they attach to. Now, I can just follow the tail from the pipe to the machine. It's sorta like attaching pencils to your shop apron with a string :D

Jay

Jason Roehl
06-23-2004, 10:51 AM
My opener for this: http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/lilbud.gif :D 30,000 comedians out of work, and you have to jump into the mix. Besides, last I checked, those are twist-off caps....misplace your hands lately? :D

I'm with whoever said, "pencil."

Mark Singer
06-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Have you looked under the pizza boxes? ;)

Seriously, I have a solution. I attach 4 or 6" diameter tails to all my large equipment. I have some pipes on the wall they attach to. Now, I can just follow the tail from the pipe to the machine. It's sorta like attaching pencils to your shop apron with a string :D

Jay
Jay,
You were right! I lifted up an old box of Sonny's "Roman Orgy" (better than NY Pizza and I am from NY)...there it was....my PM 66 w/ Foresst blade ..splitter and all! Thanks Jay! I feel like starting a new project now! I found my tablesaw!

John Miliunas
06-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Jay,
You were right! I lifted up an old box of Sonny's "Roman Orgy" (better than NY Pizza and I am from NY)...there it was....my PM 66 w/ Foresst blade ..splitter and all! Thanks Jay! I feel like starting a new project now! I found my tablesaw!

Dang! That must've been one big-a$$ pizza there! :D Real hungry or party? :confused: :cool:

Fred Gorney
06-23-2004, 12:06 PM
I don't misplace anything, my kids do...

Chris Padilla
06-23-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't misplace anything, my kids do...
:D ROFLMAO!!!! :D

Until my daughter returns from the grandparents overseas, I have to continue to blame the LOML but it never seems to work out..."she's rubber, I'm glue...."

Jack Diemer
06-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Tape Measure. I bet I have 10 of them, and can still never find one. Every time I go to Cummings tools, I buy another $1 tape measure.

Dale Thompson
06-23-2004, 9:11 PM
For all of you simple minded folks out there who can't keep track of your pencils, tape measures, squares, calipers, PM 66s, drill presses, jointers, lathes, etc., this post is NOT for YOU! ;) You folks need some kind of self-administered lobotomy surgery which can be easily accomplished with a scroll saw and a router. However, I would asume that you would lose these tools also. :rolleyes:

For those of you who were too SMART to post on this thread, I have a suggestion. Get those CHEAP boxes of #2 pencils. Since you are obviously intelligent folks, you can cut off the eraser part and sharpen both ends. We non-posters don't need erasers anyway because we never make mistakes!! ;) It's lucky for people like us that genius is not a sin. I've done enough prison time for other things as it is. :cool:

DON'T look down on the posters! They mean well! :D ;)

EGADS!! WHO could lose a PENCIL?? A PM66 I can understand - but - A PENCIL!!?? :D

Dale T.

Chris Padilla
06-23-2004, 9:21 PM
Better yet, buy the large pack of pencils and run the whole spiel through the bandsaw and cut 'em in half...packaging and all! :eek:

Of course, then you'll be wanting a pencil with an eraser on it and won't be able to locate one to save your life...mark my words! :p

Joe Suelter
06-23-2004, 9:36 PM
THE FLOOR!!!!

Dale Thompson
06-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Better yet, buy the large pack of pencils and run the whole spiel through the bandsaw and cut 'em in half...packaging and all! :eek:

Of course, then you'll be wanting a pencil with an eraser on it and won't be able to locate one to save your life...mark my words! :p

Hey San Josey,
With almost sixty-three PERPECT years behind me, why would I want to mess with even ONE eraser?? :D Whatever, how can I "mark your words" with any credibility if you CA guys, like Laguna, can't even find your PM66 - let alone your PENCILS!!?? :confused: :p :)

It must have been the earthquakes!! I just HATE when the earthquake numbers exceed my IQ!! :mad: :confused: :p

Dale T.

Mark Singer
06-23-2004, 10:18 PM
John,
Its amazing ....there was one piece left in the box....I scraped off a bit of mold and it was delicious.... I'll save you a piece for the "Creeker Visitation" the beer will be cold of course!

Dale Thompson
06-23-2004, 10:27 PM
John,
Its amazing ....there was one piece left in the box....I scraped off a bit of mold and it was delicious.... I'll save you a piece for the "Creeker Visitation" the beer will be cold of course!

Hey Spring,
Laguna is one really nice guy!! However, have you ever tasted CA beer?? In Cheesehead Land, we would not even use it for radiator coolant in our kerosene-powered tractors.! :D ;) :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
06-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Hey Spring,
Laguna is one really nice guy!! However, have you ever tasted CA beer?? In Cheesehead Land, we would not even use it for radiator coolant in our kerosene-powered tractors.! :D ;) :)

Dale T.

CA has beer???!!! :eek: I thought all they drank out on the left coast are latte's and Martini's! :D :cool:

Carole Valentine
06-23-2004, 11:07 PM
My 4 and 6 inch engineer's squares. It seems I spend more time looking for these two rascals than I do woodworking. Next in line is my tapes...I can always find at least one, but never the one I started out using on a project.

Mark Singer
06-24-2004, 12:19 AM
John, Dale
we have a latte' flavored stout and a lemon drop martini larger...we serve them cold with very small portions of pub food ....artistic presentation too! Enjoy.... everyone here is in a bad mood cause they are on a diet....you know summers coming and we gotta look good in our Speedos....Sam Mallof is a California boy...drives a Porsche Boxster ...at 88 ...you gotta love him!

David Rose
06-24-2004, 10:13 PM
John, I picked your post as a reply to because of the note of the variance in tape measures.

I had trouble with pencils when I was using mechanical ones, so between "winning" a couple of dozen at the CUSA BBQ at Terry's and buying a couple more dozen, I ended up with 4 dozen Lee Valleys to scatter around. I also won a tape measure that didn't agree with my purchased Lee Valley measure, so Dad got it. I had an old Stanley which is what LV uses that ended up being very different too. I set all my tapes on machines to the LV one that I won so they must agree. I would love to have about 5 more LV or Stanley tapes that agreed with the original. That is my constant search. Any length is fine as long as it is consistent.

David

Another pencil loser here. I've got tons of them all over the place, but try and grab one when you need one! :confused: Second up would be the square. Safety glasses are typically *always* on my head when I come into the shop. :) I've read where you guys have a million tape measures placed all over. FWIW, I too have several scattered about BUT, when working on a specific project, I have my "favorite" and, once started, that's *the only* one used for the project. Accuracy from tape to tape will vary, especially depending how bad the hook end is beat up. If my favorite one is a bit "off", at least, ALL my measurements with that tape will be "off" equal amounts, so I still stand a pretty good chance of coming up somewhat square. :) ("Somewhat square" is usually as good as I get! :rolleyes: ) Hmmmm...Now where did I put that keyboard???? :D :rolleyes: :cool: