PDA

View Full Version : 16-32 feed belt replacement options, help...

Jason Perrott
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Hello,
I have an old Performax 16-32 drum sander that decided to eat the feed belt yesterday. Of course it had to happen when I was almost done with my run, but not quite done:mad:...

Anyway I researched around online and found two different options:
1. a poly belt that runs about $100, but read rave reviews about performance.
2. a 100 grit OEM style belt that is paper, basic replacement, for $40.

On some sites the poly belt was for sale for $500-$600, (WTF)!
And the paper style range from $40-$80

Anyone have experience with the poly belts? Why would they range in price so much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Ben Franz
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I started a thread on this a few weeks ago in this forum. The poly belts are the way to go IMHO and Hamilton Tool seems to have the best price. I bought from them thru Amazon but last time I checked Amazon listed item as unavailable so go to vendor directly. Grit belt seems like a big step down to me.

Jesse Cloud
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Hello,
I have an old Performax 16-32 drum sander that decided to eat the feed belt yesterday. Of course it had to happen when I was almost done with my run, but not quite done:mad:...

Anyway I researched around online and found two different options:
1. a poly belt that runs about $100, but read rave reviews about performance.
2. a 100 grit OEM style belt that is paper, basic replacement, for $40.

On some sites the poly belt was for sale for $500-$600, (WTF)!
And the paper style range from $40-$80

Anyone have experience with the poly belts? Why would they range in price so much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jason
I have an old Performax, too. Bought a brand name replacement belt and spent a long time fiddling with tracking, including reading some long threads on tuning. Never could get it to work right. Bought the $100 poly belt and it worked great right out of the box with no fiddling.

Charlie Schultz
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
+1 on what Jesse said.

Jason Perrott
01-07-2009, 3:13 PM
Thanks guys, I just ordered up the poly belt from Hamilton Tool for right under $100 delivered. People there were very helpful. I also found the same product from their subsidiary accuramachinetools.com. Just another way to find the belt for someone in the future?!

fiddling around with tracking sounds like a huge frustration, thanks for saving me from that!

Jason