PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Saw Information

Jim Koepke
01-07-2009, 1:26 AM
Found this saw today and was intrigued enough to buy it.

It looks to need a little TLC and a sharpening.

It does have etching on both sides of the blade.

The important stuff seems to be Geo H Bishop & Co.

Hand Made 10

The blade is 12 inches. The end has what look like saw teeth. From what I have been able to find so far, this is to keep it steady in the back piece once the depth is set.

Any one know anything else about this saw?

It appears to be missing one bolt and nut to keep the blade from tilting.

Thanks for any help,

jim

Alan DuBoff
01-07-2009, 3:37 AM
Jim,

Decent saws, and nice to have rip/crosscut on the same saw.

I have one that is pretty clean, was brought back to the states from a friend in the U.K., Simon Barley, who wrote a thesis on handsaws and/or Spear & Jackson.

Here´s a couple pics of mine. Mike Wenzloff has a few of these, and knows some of the specifics on the patent.

Rob Luter
01-07-2009, 6:13 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106129

I have one as well. A $3.00 flea market find in downstate Indiana. A local antique mall has one as well, a NOS in the original box that is crispy clean (they want more than $3.00 :eek:)

Vintage saws (bottom of page http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=saws&right=/othermakers/othermakers.html ) writes "High on the gizmosity scale, this saw actually works very well and is a good idea. One side is cut with 12 point cross cut teeth, the other with 8 point rip teeth. A lever on the reverse allows the user to flip the blade to use the opposite edge. Fitted with a 14" blade 4" high, this saw also excels at another use...that of cutting a kerf of a certain depth. Since the bar that holds the blade is flat on the bottom, by adjusting the amount the blade protrudes from the bar, you can regulate the depth of cut. A very handy feature. Fitted with an apple handle..."

I need to get mine sharpened up, but once I do I don't know how much action it will really see.

Jim Koepke
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Alan and Rob, thanks for the help.

Mine needs a good sharpening, then it will likely get all the work it can handle.

It may be awhile before the sharpening happens though. Just to much to do.

Before I retired, it did not seem so much needed doing.

jim

Erwin Graween
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi.

It's funny it indeed some kind of western ryoba :).

Must be useful.

Alan DuBoff
01-07-2009, 1:39 PM
Alan and Rob, thanks for the help.

Mine needs a good sharpening, then it will likely get all the work it can handle.

It may be awhile before the sharpening happens though. Just to much to do.

Before I retired, it did not seem so much needed doing.

jim
Jim,

If your holding off on sharpening it because you haven't sharpened before, please don't let that be the case. It is not hard, only requires minimal tools, and will add to everyone's skills immensely. Ask away if you have any Qs.

Jim Koepke
01-07-2009, 7:12 PM
I have sharpened a few saws already.

Thanks for the offer of help with questions.

Not sure if the right size files are in my collection currently.

One side has the teeth all but joined away. The other side is only a little better.

Someone listed a site with line drawings for teeth spacing, but some how I can not find the link.

Guess I will have to rely on my drawing program and printer to make my own. Of course, the printer needs another ink cartridge. Always something to do before something can be done.

Guess my schedule should include a day or two of saw sharpening. A friend of mine left me a couple dozen old saws, almost all of them can use some work.

jim

Alan DuBoff
01-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Someone listed a site with line drawings for teeth spacing, but some how I can not find the link.
Leif Hanson has them on the Norse Woodsmith site at this link (http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/node/76).

Guess my schedule should include a day or two of saw sharpening. A friend of mine left me a couple dozen old saws, almost all of them can use some work.
Good to get in the habit of touching up the teeth when you use them, at least that is a habit that I like to get into myself. It always makes sense to sharpen your tools when you use them, IMO.

Jim Koepke
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Alan,

Thanks for the link.

I also like to keep my tools sharp. I have an old iron saw vise, but it is not a very good one. Have to get some wood and build a better one.

So much to do, only 24 hours in a day.

jim

Alan DuBoff
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the link.

I also like to keep my tools sharp. I have an old iron saw vise, but it is not a very good one. Have to get some wood and build a better one.
Good project, but just takes time...

So much to do, only 24 hours in a day.
I hear 'ya! My biggest problem is that I don't get much done in a 24 hour period! :o

Jim Koepke
01-17-2009, 1:33 AM
A request was made for a picture of the other side of the handle of the Bishop #10 saw, so here it is.

This came about because my saw has one of the screws missing, but it does not come all the way through the handle. When asking another Creeker about the screw used, a discussion ensued and he asked for the picture.

Looks like a replacement may have to be fashioned from whatever can be found.

jim

Alan DuBoff
01-17-2009, 3:15 AM
Jim,

Here's both sides of my handle.